Sipa 200 (June 2015 RCM&E)

Stephen Jones

Just found this thread.

GReat little model. I think I remember a jetex models from way back in my youth.

Sorry about the allergy. One of our club members had a bad allergy, he smoked and built. Once he stopped smoking he could go back to balsa dust.

CA can be a nasty substance. Have you tried odourless CA. I have to use that now.

Advert

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the feed back ,
I suffered with it last year , i put it down to a cold i could not shift as i constantly had a runny nose and cough . Went to the doctors and he just gave me some antibiotics and said there is nothing wrong with my chest it was probably ........... ! i can not remember whot he said . And i don`t smoke .
Anyway i decided not to go into my loft over winter and not to touch balsa , and i was a lot better .And i had decided to do depron and foam models instead using foam safe ca and i was ok .
But i got bored of foam and wanted to get back to balsa , after all ( BALSA Flies BETTER ) as to quote a logo ,and it really does .
So that is why i started on this project and you are right peter there are a couple of jetex planes which this is based on as i could not find any plans for a rc version or any scale drawings even the photos i have seen don`t show too much detail .
The webb site does give 3 way views and dimensions which is in feet and inches which is why i started with the smaller one as feet where converted to inches .
And also it just like the stick and tissue type models and building it small would allow me to make changes easily and when happy which iam not its just a case of getting the printers to enlarge it .

Thanks again chaps ,

and i do hope i can get back to it soon . the thought of not being able to this is not bearable

Hi ,

Well i test flown the small model today along with my newly converted Futaba Challenger radio to 2.4Ghz both worked fine .
The model needed a little extra weight up front and i also needed a bit of left trim .
Found it to be sensitive on the ailerons and needs a bit more stability so will add a little dihedral on the wings . Apart from that it flys ok and seed to glide ok .

Hi Kevin , Thanks

The larger scale version is some time of yet , I am still in the design process at the moment .

As this is a build and design project . And as there does not seem to be any scale drawings available at least none for a radio controlled model . The only plans i have found where made for jetex free flight , so I had to build one or two models, so I can get a minds eye view of how it should look and by flying them , find out which parts would need to be changed in-order to get it to fly right .

With Further investigation I have found that the original plane had also gone through some changes most likely due to operation and handling . The booms where shortened the reason for this is most likely due to the rudders hitting the ground on take off which is also why you can see a skid at the rear of the fuselage . The ailerons where also reduced and flaps increased .

As for the model I have built to-date I can only class it as cartoon scale as the proportion are greatly over sized , although the general shape in profile from the top and side are there ish .

Hopefully by the time I have finished I will have the most true to radio controlled scale model there is , and it will be an easy model to build too , as the fuselage will have flatter sides and bottom as on ( Mk II model ) along with simpler wing construction .

Thanks for your patience.

Hi

I've just had a good look at the Sipa link from one of your earlier posts, I wouldn't say your first attempt is cartoon like at all, it's very close to the original, the main fuselage is a very complex shape and you've captured it very well

keep up the good work

i'll be looking forward to seeing the larger version come together

kev

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kevin , Thanks,

I have made some slight modification to the fuselage , not that satisfiable but better , anyway here are some more pictures after , i got a dust masks and worked outside managed to get some more work done . I may redraw plans up and start all over again , i would like as true to scale as i can get .And this is not close enough yet   .
The Bottom and sides where curved .
Altered to make them flatter .

Still keeping its egg shape but now the doors to the cockpit will look right

Is it just me or does anyone else like to put the bits together to see how its taking shape .

Need to add wing joining brace , nose cone , and air intakes next .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 02/04/2011 01:16:48

• 3 weeks later...
Hi again fellow wood worms ,

Well we have had some nice weather here today for flying or sanding ?
Well here are some more photos of my progress so far . I estimate the AuW will be about 1-1/2 Lbs so i am looking for a high Kv Motor around 250 Watts .

I have not yet decided how i am go to go with the cockpit . Options are
1 , fit cockpit as previous and gain access from underneath hatch .
2 , Make cockpit with seats and instrument panels ect but removable to gain access to battery and servos .

In the picture above you can see where the cool air will pass the motor in order to keep it cool .

Hi kevin , Thanks ,

Here is another view of the cockpit . And some more progress photos.

Hopefully i can improve on this on a later date .

For now i am in the process of putting the radio gear in .

When i have the motor in place i will finish of the rest of the fuselage.

Hi Mowerman,

I have managed to get some very good dust masks from work , which has filters on , which seem too work quite well ,with the breathing side of the problem , but i also find that i only have to touch the dust with my hands and they begin to irritate me .
Which is why work is slow , but at lest my breathing problems seems ok now .

Thanks for the thought ,

Hi Stephen,
Loving the build.
I can sympathise with the allergy. I was doing some planking using cyano last year and I was very I'll for quite a while - wheezing, coughing, tight chested. the balsa dust makes me sneeze but it was very definitely the cyano that caused me the problems. Wicked stuff for close work. Now I wear a mask for most things that contain solvents / aromatics like dope etc .
I now don't have any problems unless I'm doing a lot of gluing. I dread planking....
looking forward to seeing the planes in the air.
Tony

Edited By TonyS on 02/05/2011 16:11:57

Hi Tony ,

Thanks , Couldn`t agree with you more on the cyano it really is wicked stuff to use in large amounts . I now use foam safe cyano , costs twice as much and is slower but no nasty fumes .

The small red model i have flown on several occasions now . Hoping to have the silver model ready for our club meeting on the 14th of may , but i am not pushing myself wot with work and family commitments i don`t have a great deal of time to spend .
And I don`t see the point in rushing it just for the sake of it , it is a hobby after all .

Looks great

I hope you're going to make a plan available, it's a lovely little jet and a great design

nice one

Hi ,

Obsession you're right model planes have been my obsession for many years now .
I only tell myself its only a hobby in hope i wont get too obsessed with it LOL .

Plans , well as much as i like drawing i`am afraid my drawings are not that good , i often have to cut a bit more off parts or move them about a bit in order to get them too fit , works for me but not good enough for publication and certainly not for cnc cut parts .

Some more work done today not as much as i would of liked but i now have the radio gear in place and windows cut out of the fuselage .

That prop was only put on so i could line up the motor ,a 5x4 prop is to go on

Easy access to the servos and battery when cockpit removed .i have catches too fit next .

Hi ,

Well its almost complete now, i was just about to print out the artwork to put on it , only to find i have run out of red ink .

My silver machine .

And this is to go on the nose
And this on the rudders .
Then a simple red strip along the front of the fuselage along with F-BGVM in black on the air intakes .

Hope she flies as well as she looks . Not sure how to go for a launch with this one as yet , A hand launch with that tiny prop whizzing at 2200 Kv
A bungee launch
or hold it by the wing and fling it .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 07/05/2011 23:45:53

Love it

have you any way of doing a video for us to watch ?

kev

Hi Kevin ,

I have a camera that will shoot video will have too see if i can get someone at are club too shoot a video for us , if not i`ll ask my 9 year old son , now being 9 years old he is very enthusiastic but has not been too clever at it on past video shoots .

Although the small one flew , this one is still un-proven , so i`ll have to hope i have the balance right and the control throws right , as this one will come too a bitter end very quickly if not .

Well here`s hoping

Thanks kevin ,

Got youre message , And i have to admit it has turned out better better than i had expected .
i will see how it flies . And then consider having it drawn up .

On the start of this project i wasn't happy with the way it was looking having seen more photos of the Sipa 200 at different angles , Only to discover that the real thing had gone through several changes .

So if all goes well, their are still some changes i would have done and may have to do if doesn't

Cheers steve