Sipa 200 (June 2015 RCM&E)

Stephen Jones

• 1 month later...
Advert

Hi again fellow wood worms ,

Its been a while , i am out of hospital and on the mend .

I have made a new plan with some final modifications in order to improve the scale and strength and also cooling of internal control equipment .

The question is do i start a new build blogg or continue on this one . As i am building one more to proof the plan and for Photographic purposes .

Also how many pictures would you like to see , i am currently taking picture at every stage of the build so that others can clearly see how to build one .

Hi ,

This is my final plan and build as i was ask to build a fresh one as my existing model would not look very good on the front of the mag .
So i decided if i was going to build a fresh one i might as well incorporate any modifications that where needed as well as trying too get it as close to scale as possible .

Which given the fact there are no scale drawing available only some 2D drawing which did not provide enough detail , however after i started the build more photos and a video did surface which has allowed me too add detail into the build .

Build of the Belly pan if that's wot the lower part of the fuselage is called .

Formers added .

Planking being added

Planking finished on the lower part of the fuselage waiting sanding .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 22/11/2011 17:24:10

Hi ,

Small up date , i had visitors today so did not get as much done as i would of liked .
Still i have nearly run out of wood any way , so will be coming to a stop anyway .

This is proving to be a very complexed shape indeed .

Here we have the formers in place

Starting to add the planking .

Here you can see i have a curved shape to it on both the top and bottom >
But if you look at the picture above this one , the bottom of the fuselage looks as though it has a flat bottom , Doh

Something i may change on the plan before it goes in ?

Hi ,

Thanks Kevin ,

I have not done any sanding yet , weather wet and cold .

So i have started on the wing now i have fresh supply's thanks to Andy .

Now i know i have already shown the wings but i am hoping to give a more in-depth construction notes with pictures for those that have not constructed a wing like this before .
Also being a twin boom model the set-up of the wings , tailplane and booms in relation to each other need to be shown in-order that others can accurately set-up the model .

Here we have the two lower wing skins marked for the laying of the required parts .
Two 1/16 spruce spar are glued into place .

Now we add the ribs leaving the front part of the rib un-glued followed by the top spars then the 1/4 balsa leading edge is glued to the bottom wing skin only , and left until later when the lower skin will be bent up to meet the bottom of the ribs and glued in place .
Now add 1/4 balsa to form a solid fixing point for the Aileron , make some cuts through the lower skin to indicate where the Aileron will be split later so we are not removing this area yet .

Hi again all ,

Continuing work on the wings .

Next we add the vertical webbing which is 1/16th scrap balsa sheet ether side of the spar's , not forgetting to cut a slot through ( rib 1 ) between top and bottom main spar so that we can insert the wing brace later .
The webbing only needs to be fitted both sides of the main spar full length .
Once the Webbing has dried we can glue the front part of the Ribs to the lower skin and leading edge by bending it upwards .
I do this by laying the wing on a flat board , lift the trailing edge while pressing down on the main spar , which in turn causes the front part of the wing to meet the ribs , while held in that position i use thin CA along the leading edge and ribs to fix in position .

Next we make some holes through the ribs and feed the snakes into position .
We also need to glue the Aileron ribs and spar into position make sure we leave a gap so we can cut it free later .

And so we don`t lose the Aileron snake later add some scrap balsa either side and on top of where it will exit the wing .

Here we can see the snakes glued and held in place . All that is left now is to add the top skin , don't forget to cut a slot out for the boom snake to exit .

Wing finished , here you can see the Aileron cuts which we did earlier to indicate where we need to cut in-order to remove the Aileron . And that the top skin is slightly larger on the fuselage side this is to account for the curve in the fuselage .

Hi ,

I forgot to mention where not to glue prior to adding the top wing skin so here are some pictures .
Before adding the top wing skin sand ribs and spars smooth also place the trailing edge of the wing on the edge of the building board so you can sand the trailing edge of the wing to a taper as i have done here .

Also it is important not to glue the aileron to the wing as we will need to remove it later .
The red lines are where we want to avoid glueing and the white lines are where we do want glue .

If you think i am going over board with my explanations let me know .

Booms ,

Now the top wing skin is on and dry we need to add the booms .

Mark two line on you're build board one at 90 degrees to the other approx at the half way mark this is so we can make sure that the boom is set at right angles .

Feed the boom snake from the wing down the boom . Place the wing down on the line so that the boom will line up with the other line .
Now weight the wing down so it will not move .
Slide the boom to fit on to the wing , you may need to sand the boom where it meets the wing in-order to make it fit correctly , when you have a snug fit you can drill two small holes through the top of the boom down through the wing spars so we can insert two cocktail sticks which will help secure the boom .
Use epoxy glue to fix the boom to the wing and insert the cocktail sticks to secure , make sure all is square and use the fin to set the correct angle as pictured .

Hi Kevin ,

Yes it is coming together quickly , Thank you .

There isn't much to do now , so i will do a bit more tonight , and i suppose i should start thinking on the finish / colour scheme .

Do i do the same silver or something different ?
All red or the camouflage scheme as use on the reconnaissance plane .

Or do i do a none scale scheme ? maybe painting the fuselage like the body of a bumble Bee .

Hi
I love the idea of the the bumble bee scheme

do you think there's room to get a suitable edf in the fuz one day ?. or maybe in a larger version ?

Hi kevin ,

Well when i first saw this plane i just had too build it and looking at the way those little wheels popped out i thought how easy they would be to make .
So i then thought about the size the model would have to be , and that is where the problem is as the bigger the model the bigger the motor logical .

But the bigger the motor the slower it runs needing a bigger propeller which would hit the ground so no good there , so the next idea was an Edf and there again is one more problem .

The outlet hole at the back would have to be so big it would not look anything like a Sipa 200 . As it is at the moment it is bigger than it should be , but is close enough not to cause concern . It may be possible to do a bigger model but use a edf motor to drive a small prop as most edf motors are long and thin so should still fit in a larger version but would we be able to fit wheels ? .

So that is why i made this model small and hand launch .

Hope this answers your question .

Hi again ,

Well the Booms are now set , so now its time to mark the tail plane .
in-order to get them level , Lay the wing on a flat board and weight it down so it wont move while drawing a line at the tail end of the boom , which on mine is 48mm high .
I used cd cases to get a level line

Next i have added the balsa wing tips and sanded .
Next remove the Ailerons from the wings and sand to make sure i have plenty of movement .
And while i am at the marking up stage i have added the Duct line , which will also provide a flat level surface to mount the wings on .
Which is 20mm high , again a couple of cd cases are used here .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 07/12/2011 14:28:59

nice to see you have good taste in music too. if it had been a boney m cd case I would have unsubscribed from your build thread instantly

I don't think it'll fly with that battery though

looking forward to seeing more

kev

Posted by Stephen Jones on 07/12/2011 18:41:23:
Thank you Olly

I have decided to paint this one like This

Nice