what to chose

hello folks.
well i have decided that i want to build a traditional kit style glider with electric assist that i can fly in the school playing field behind my house, so not a huge wingspan.
3 channel rc i should think.

any ideas as i'm newly returned to this sport.

Edited By tony bennett on 02/01/2011 22:52:59

Advert

Well Tony, if you ask 3 people you'll probably get 3 different answers..........

Looking at the spec, the glider will probably be less than 1 1/2lb AUW. Working on the principle of, say, 80W/lb, which will give you very acceptable climb performance on an e-glider, you'd be looking at a power requirement of about 120W.

The combinations below will give at least that and probably considerably more, perhaps in excess of 100W/lb, but of course there is always the throttle stick.........and once you've learnt to ride the bucking bronco, you'll want more climb rate..........

For what it's worth, I'd be thinking along the lines of this combo from Giantcod. I've no connection with them other than as a frequent and satisfied customer:

E-Power 950kv motor coupled with this folding prop spinner. I've found E-Power motors reliable.

For a couple of pounds more,  this 180W motor has a bit more power, to be coupled with this 3.17mm spinner.

For either spinner you'll need 8mm base blades such as these 10 x 6 blades. At that price, it may be worth gertting a couple of pairs or ring the changes with a set of 11 x 6 or 9 x 6 to see with which you are most comfortable.

Re the ESC,  the Hobbywing Pentium 25A is very reliable and the only one I'd consider. You'd get away with a 20A but the weight difference is negligible and it may be useful elsewhere later in your career! The Pentiums have never let me down and I have a number of them in different sizes. As I've saved you so much dosh so far, treat yourself to a programming card, too - saves much wailing and gnashing of teeth!

For a battery, to keep the weight down, I'd go for an 1800mah 3S Tipple. You could probably consider a 2200mah as an alternative as they are more often used as a 'standard' 3S battery but there will be a weight penalty and space within the fus has to be considered.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions and, as I said, different combos may work just as well.

Right, I've put my head over the parapet - any incoming?

Pete

ps no fee, just since us a song................

i left my heart in san francisco, high on a hill she calls to me.........

wow that is one comprehensive suggestion.
just had a thought, i will need a charger won't i.
i can see this getting expensive.

all i need to do now is buy it all and try to hide it from the wife.

Edited By tony bennett on 03/01/2011 17:45:33

Just about any 2m glider will do, and then convert to electric flight.

I still use 2 * 2m Sagittas (Reynaud), over 20 years old.

There will be many more that are suitable, including the suggested West Wings model. I personally prefer a stronger body. As the 1/8 ply Sagitta. But it is all choice. The wings do not need to take Bungee or Tow line forces,

Then again, I would be tempted to design my own body, built around a Fishing Rod blank, that will take say a 1500 lipo. As for wings any old design but competitive type, stripped down to the minimum spars and sheeting etc.