Painting Foam

David Gilder

Hey all.
Just after your expertise as I prepare for painting my first Foam Model!
I am looking to airbrush my model but am wondering before I purchase an Airbrush.....    I understand that the paint needed is Water based Acrylic....  But is this suitable for use with an airbrush or not. If so, the best method for cleaning said airbrush after use!!

All comments welcome

Dave

Advert

Hi David, I've used Tamiya acrylic paints through a cheapo Games Workshop spraygun to paint several foamies. I've thinned them slightly with Tamiya acrylic thinners, and washed the spraygun out with warm water - No problems!

HI David - below is a previous answer to a similar post.

I have bought a lot of different colours from our local "home bargain" Store.  They are large 120 ml tube water based Artist Acrylic paint  - Brand name  "Masterpiece"  they sell them for 99p a tube.

They didn't have any black but I picked up a tube of black in a " The Works"  store in town.  Seems  most towns have a Works Store. Their stuff is called  "Crawford & Black" artist paint.  More pricey at £2.99 a tube or 2 for £5 butt they are bigger at 200 ml.

My Acromaster was getting a little sruffy so I used these acrylics to tart it up.  Lovely result and finish and it was brushed on!  The Acromaster is a EPO type foam I think. Anyway you got me thinking on the Depron.

I have just tried the above paints on some Depron Foam - just brushed it on - Very impressive finish.

Even using the above stuff - thinned down with water, you should be able to airbrush it.
Just clean with water.  Since the above post I have repainted my tatty BAE Hawk foamie.
Only brushed painted it straight from the tube and the result is brilliant-it looks like new again.  The best thing is it only cost me about 50p  I have used/tested it on various foams now and the results are good.  Well worth a look at.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys I'm new here and pleased I found this site. Just looking down this posting has answered a question I have been wondering about, I have just got my first Foam Model, an Easy Glider and wanted to paint it, to make it more visible if anything. Alan's Hawk looks lovely, and was surprised that no Primer was used. I noticed the other day when in SMC that the Foam Primers seem quite expensive to me, so I think now I will just brush paint it with the Acrilic Paint Mentioned on here. Chris. (Isle of Wight)

• 1 year later...

I'm new to RC model flying and I've just finished building a Multiplex Twinstar II which I'll learn to fly under instruction from the club I've joined. I want to paint the Twinstar in the livery of the Cessnas used by the UK Coastguard, (Google Images 'UK Coastgurad Cessna'. My wife's a crafter and has loads of craft acrylic paints so I tried the dark red I need under the Twinstar's canopy which is out of sight. Two coats brushed on straight out of the jar without thinning and without priming the Elapor. It looks great and appears to have stuck to the foam pretty well. These craft acrylics cost £2 for a 60ml jar which goes a surprisingly long way, so I think I'll bite the bullet and us them to complete the model.

Edited By Peter Boyd on 13/08/2012 12:30:13