T45 Goshawk Build (PSS CONTENT)

David Gilder

Dave, I use an acrylic artist's varnish, being water based it won't attack the foam, is easy to clean the airbrush and easy to thin etc. I used Galeria satin varnish on the F14 but they also do a gloss. Apply that before adding the transfers/stickers otherwise they won't stick very well. I got it in Hobbycraft for about £6 I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Right ho!!

Update time.!!!

Matt, thanks for your varnish thoughts... I have sourced the vaery same Galeria Acrylic Gloss Varnish from my local Hobby Craft Shop!! So over the last few days have been glossing the wings and fuselage!!

I have to be honest.... Even though this is my first time glassing / airbrushing / glossing a model I dont think I have done tooo bad!!!

This morning I took delivery of my new receivers so have just been installing the servos (all 2 of them!) They are just gluing in at the moment so in a few hours I will be connecting them up to a newly bound receiver and power pack to get them all set up!!!

I will post a few finished pics as soon as I have done that!!

(Just got to finish the forward holding point on the canopy and then it will be airworthy!)

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 23/03/2011 10:09:19

Righty

As promised..... Time for a few finished piccies!!

I have just finished putting the decals on and have immediately taken the model outside for a few photos!!!

Let me know what you think!!!

Dave

So thats it folks until she flies off the Orme on the 1st PSSA meeting next month!!!

Cheers

• 5 months later...
Well
As some of you will know, Earlier in the year at one of the PSSA meets on the Big Rock (Gt Orme), My Goshawk had an unscheduled meeting with mother earth!! The damage was limited to just the nose cone being smashed apart (it was only a hollow plastic one!!)

So finally i have just got around to making a new one..

I went to my local Foam Factory (1/2 Mile away) and asked if they had a SMALL offcut for me to shape a new nose cone from..
They were more than willing to help and furnished me with a small (in their opinion) block of foam.

Thats a standard sized hacksaw blade for size comparison!!!

As you can see, I have cut out the amount I needed for the job!! Should be enough for another 17 nose cones!!

Having cut it then roughly to shape I have sanded it to closer shape.
Here's a picture of the new cone next to the old "shattered" one!!

So next job is to glue it to the fuselage and then sand to final shape prior to glassing and painting!!

Here it is just tacked onto the fuselage

Thats taken me a whole 20 mins, but I now have to pick up SWMBO, make tea and then go to work for a night shift!!

I will update with how the repair goes as it progresses!!

Dave

Not sure this will be suitable for that TBH Tim.

I will bring a sample with me and you can see.. Its the hard block (fine particles). (quite dense so although light for small applications, large sections weigh quite a bit.

Not sure how much you would need for the B52.... but if its more than small offcuts, I would need to order the foam. (Not sure how much it would cost!!!)

Dave

Well this place doesn't do EPS...... However..... There is another factory about 1.5 miiles away that does use EPS... I will see if I can get a quote for you. How many blocks of 8" x 4" x 2" does sir require?? I could even deliver them personally for minumal cost!!!

(any excuse to attend the Orme for a fly!!!)

Dave

Right ho,

A little bit more done last night....

I have glued on the new nose (oversized) and then filled the recess on the fuselage where the old nose overlapped, with filler. Just have to let it all dry thoroughly before sanding it all down to the final shape!!

So in the above picture you can seethe fuselage with new nose and filler, canopy at the side, the old nose, the epoxy resin glue I used to glue the nose on and all the glass fibre bits ready for glassing!!

Just a point to note... The new nose has been internally fitted with some church roof in order to assist in keeping the C of G correct. I used to have to put a second battery inside the cockpit area to get it right so that should not be needed anymore!!

Tonight I plan to sand it to final shape so I will put a pic on tomorrow of that!!

Ciao for now!!

Back again!

Well the nose has been sanded to shape and covered in glass fibre.
A light sanding over and the first coat of paint is on.
All white for this coat then I will paint the nose Red with the Black upper.

Its not perfect as its my first attempt using foam but it will be good enough for now!!

Dave