T45 Goshawk Build (PSS CONTENT)

David Gilder

Well.
For christmas my better half bought me this model for me to PSS Slope!

So I thought that I would show my build for the first time!!

It wont be the fastest build blog but hey,,,  Its a blog!!!

I must appologise.  I forgot to take pictures of the box and packaging but suffice to say it was well packaged and delivery time was only 5 days from China!!

So having unpacked, I could not resist a quick "dry fit" to see how it looked, and this was the result!

Quite impressed by it already at this stage!!

So on to today......

I have "dismantled" the dry fit and sanded down all parts to get rid of the moulding pimpels..    It is my plan to airbrush the model to make it look smoother and sharper.
This should also give it a little more rigidity (albeit a tiny bit)!!

So this is how it looks when in its bits!!

So there we have it.

I will put an update on as and when it happens!!!

Thanks for viewing and add comments whenever.
They remind me people might actually want to watch it being built!!!

Dave

Nice one Dave - the shape looks really good!  Which manufacturer is it you dont say!?

Also, can you confirm the span - it looks a bit bigger than the usual Hawks you might see on the slope!

Ill be keeping an eye on this one - look forward to seeing you on the Orme with it soon!

Phil.
Its the Hobby King T45 Goshawk.

Do you think I need to strengthen the underside or not.  Should be soft arrivals and it would mean giving it extra weight.  I want to keep it as light as possible so it flies in light conditions but can be ballasted a little for windier days!!

Thoughts welcome

Dave

Okay,  Time for an update!!

Having lightly sanded the foam to try and reduce the moulding pips i moved onto re-painting.

First, the white of the wings, followed by the red wing tips!!

You may also notice that the plastic retaining parts that will be on show (externally) were red but are now white to merge into the normal airframe colour!!

So then I thought that I would move on by putting the decals into the cockpit base section. 
First was the seat backs:

then the cockpit display panels:

I will look at gluing the canopy top to bottom in a few days..

One thing that has happened is when I was dry fitting the nose cone to the front to check for fit and fixing,....   It has split on the underside!!!

Any suggestions for fixing this will be greatly welcomed.

Finally I have attached the Vertical Stab to the rear (removable section ) of the fuselage and put the Decals onto it!!   Horozontal Stabs are only loose fitted for show!!!

Thats it so for then....       

Matt

Thanks for the advice.....
Only issue I have about doing this is my lack of fibreglass experience... ( it totals a whopping 0 mins!!)

If there is anyone who is local to East side of Manchester (Glossop) who would be willing to give me a masterclass in doing it, I would be very grateful!

Time for another update!!!

After a chat with Matt tonight (cheers mate), I have decided to cover the model in fibregass and then re paint..    Should add strenght to the foam and give a much smoother and "realistic" finish!! 

So I have ordered the required components and they should arrive next week....   So until then, the build is on a small hold.  Will update with pics of the covering job when it happens!!

Dave

Good decision Dave, it will definitely prolong the life of the model even if you only do the bottom surfaces (but I guess Matt has recommended the entire airframe is done as per his recent Hunter & F-18 models) and I wouldn't worry about the increase in AUW - this will only help the Hawk scoot up and down the slope with a bit more authority! 

Plus you can really go to town now on the painting and fit it out with all the details you could want!!  I look forward to seeing it!

Further update.....

As earlier explained, The build is on hold until fibreglass and resin arrives.. However I have been able to connect the canopy bottom to the top!!!

I used lots of clothes pegs to hold it together inline whilst the glue dries and will be installing some magnets at the front end to hold it down to the fuselage. (It already has them at the rear end!)

Heres some pics of the canopy with pegs!!!!

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 09/01/2011 13:41:09

Just to give you all an update...

I have taken delivery of my glass fibre cloth and resin so am proceding to cover the model as instructed by Matt !!

It is coming along slowly at the moment due to being in work but will try to push on during my days off!!! 

I would like to just make a little plug about the Charity Mass Build  that is being run on here.  for anyone who fancies building a Steve Webb Models Webbit with £5 going to charity for each one bought!   Have a look here and join in if you can. It promises to be a great thing to do

Dave

Time for an update..
I have covered the whole model with glass fibre... (my 1st attempt but I dont think it went too badly!!! Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos of it!!! This is my first blog and I will learn!!!
I have then been moving onto re painting!!!
I decided that I would make a purchase at this point and have bought an airbrush from my local craft shop!! Its a Badger 250-3. Also I have bought Water Based Acrylic paints to use on the model!!!
So to this morning... I set up a spray area in the kitchen and then hung the fusalage from an open cupboard door!! See.. cupboards have many uses!!!
As this was also another 1st for me (airbrushing!!) I decided to try on a sheet of paper first to get the feel of it!!
That all went great so I have moved ontospraying the fusalage!
It all appears to have gone well so will give it the required time to dry and will check it for defects.. If I find any I will gently sand correct and then give it a 2nd coat!!!!
So there we have it upto now..... I will try and get some pictures of the spraying for you.
Dave

• 1 month later...
May I drop in a link to my maiden of this model? - EDF, not slope I'm afraid (prepares to be scolded by Mr Moderator )

Although a Chinese Takeaway model - it does have some nice touches where the designers have put in some thought. Clever design of the ESC cooling ducts, nice chunky fuselage moulding and good overall appearance

I don't like the flimsy tail feathers, thin plastic nose, and oh-so cheap servos,

But it does fly - and makes me grin. Which can only be a good thing. I'm flying mine without undercart as I don't have any handy tarmac to fly from - so it's hand launches in the field for me

Edited By Matthew Lloyd on 07/03/2011 21:09:51

Do you mean odd as in portrait rather than landscape - or just odd as in 'stick your phone in the verge and hope it captures some action'?!

That was the maiden, by the way! Used some battery setting up, hence the 3 min flight.

I don't recall asking for that haircut though - I appear to have a very thin area on the back. I must go back and complain  

Edited By Matthew Lloyd on 07/03/2011 23:27:11

OK Everyone...

Sorry I've not posted on this for a while but I have been MAXED OUT with lots of other things including the Charity Mass Build, which I am very heavily involved with!!!

So, better late than never.. Here are a few pics of the fuselage hanging from the cupboard door for airbrushing!!!!

Sp there we have it..... The model is now sprayed up with paint, but this is where I hit my next Question..... MATTTTTTTTT??? HEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!

What do I use to give it a smooth glossy finish?
I was thinking about a spray gloss varnish but really want everyones advice...

I await your replies (which will no doubt be quicker than mine!!!)

Dave