My WOT4 MK2 Build

Hi all,

As most of you know im almost finished with a WOT4 build, however to save me posting in all sorts of threads, I am creating this thread for any of my questions and problems that I may run in to to keep the forum tidy of my posting

Eventually I will update this thread with a few selected build pics.

However for the moment, last night I run in to a slight problem whilst joining the wings, I havnt used any epoxy yet so dont worry, I was simply just slotting them in to ensure they fit ok with no gaps. However I have run in to a slight gap which I cannot seem to get rid of.

I have tried to find out whats causing it. I cut down the wood joiner a few times. Its not glue spillage thats dried when I inserted the wooden join in one wing :\ I cant seem to get rid of the gap.

Any tips?

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/07/2018 22:54:47

Advert

Darren, if you put a clamp on the wing locating peg at the front - does that pull them together?
A small gap isn't a big problem - especially if you join the wings with epoxy between them that will fill any small gap. Obviously if the gap is larger its more of a problem. Going by the photo the gap itself doesn't look to be a major problem. What might be an issue though is whether that wing locating peg, with the gap in it, will be too wide to go into the locating hole in the fuselage? Hence why I ask what happens if you try to clamp that shut tight. (don't overdo the clamping pressure - you don't want to break anything - justt see what a little moderate clamping can achieve)
BEB

I have tried clamping together from the pegs at the front, not with a proper clamp but with my hands, however it doesnt seem to be shifting any closer than what it is at the moment.
The two pegs at the front are very "slightly" to wide apart for the locating hole on the model, but I mean we are talking by a very small amount!
I am going to have a closer look tonight to see If I can somehow get it closer however I dont know if I need to look at the wooden join going in to the slot in the wing (shortening it more) or look at the surface area of the wooden side of the wing, however if you look closely through the gap when they the wings are slotted in, it doesnt look like anything is obstructing it causing that gap.

Something to check - Presumably there is a dihedral brace that slots into either wing. Sometimes these can be a very tight fit and wont go fully "home" in one of the wings. Check the fit of this in each wing independently.Ifit is tight in one or both and might not be going all the way in,you need to just sand it very slightly to convince it to go fully home.
BEB

Well the wooden brace is already glued in to one wing ok, however as you can probably tell, I am trying to slot it in to the other wing, this is where the problem is.

I will try sanding this down a little later so see if I can bridge the gap.
With regards to the epoxy once I get it to fit, obviously I apply epoxy to this wooden brace before I slot it in, and also apply some epoxy to the wooden sides of the wings that will also be meeting each other?

Re Epoxy - Yes on both counts - brace and wing roots!
For the brace I think its better to apply the epoxy to the hole rather than the brace. If you put it on the brace it has a tendency to "wipe off" as it goes in which leaves the end of the joint dry and makes the epoxy go everywhere!
Wipe any excees epoxy that does squeeze out away quickly - you don't want big lumps of it sticking out! Use the slow 30min stuff not 5min epoxy.
BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/01/2011 14:46:59

OK i have done some sanding, I think I know why its happening now, If you have a look at the angle of the wooden brace, you will see its slightly off a 90 degree angle, very slightly, I dont want to make anything.
However I managed to bridge the gap abit closer, but still too big for fuselage hole.

Drilling out a steel hex screw from aluminium is a road to disaster! The drill will wander off the hard steel into the ally and butcher it. (Unless you can jig it.) If you can find another way, I'd do it. (I discovered this the hard way when try to drill out a stud on a car engine alloy block!)
As far as the cowel goes, if it's a new engine it's better for running in and easier for adjustment if you leave the cowel off.
I built an ARTF Wot 4 and if my memory serves me right, why can't you
1. slide the engine further back in the plastic mount?
or 2. Get another mount?
Anything will be better than trying to drill out the exhaust screw!

PS  How did the exhaust screw get butchered?

Edited By Bob Moore on 21/01/2011 17:01:38

Cowl is being put on the back foot for now,

"I built an ARTF Wot 4 and if my memory serves me right, why can't you
1. slide the engine further back in the plastic mount?" - thats what im trying to do, in order to move it back, im going to have to unscrew the engine from the engine mount, but the exhaust is in the way and very little room to get any sort of screwdriver in to get them out. There is a nut on the other side, i guess I can try undoing the nut to see if it helps.

Either way im going to have to drill new mount holes

or 2. Get another mount? I could but id still need to get this out out

Tried giving the engine a start but there is no life at all, cant even hear the engine attempting to fire, I do have a new glow starter so im not sure if it is because its only had a 2 hour charge when the suggested first time is 9 hours or if my glow plug is dodgy, or it could be my nitro fuel (I bought it around 5 months ago, used some and its been stored in the shed so not sure if this has gone bad.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/07/2018 22:55:20

Grind or cut the nuts of the engine mount bolts? And when you do refit, slip the bolt up from underneath and put the nuts on top. It's a shame you can't get the exhaust off but it's not insurmountable.
Re the plug, try the glow start with another spare plug (ie not in the engine.) If it glows, it's ok. Mind you, a NiCad (if that's what's in the glow start) should have 14 hrs charge, esp if new?

Been thinking about a Wot 4 I bought off E bay last year.Its over 20 years old and when taking off tended to turn very sharp right and I struggled with it.,so gve up. At our bring and buy I bought a good looking wot 4 wing for a fiver.Tonight I brought it in from the shed.Removed the under carriage anf fitted an aluminium one,.Ive fitted a new OS 40 FP purchased off E bay,and will carry on fitting servos etc and have another go with it

Could be any number of reasons. Most likely lack of fuel. Have you tried priming it. That's dropping a very small amount of fuel into the carb. (I'm talking little more than a few drops of fuel.)
If that doesn't work, connect a fuel pipe to the fuel inlet and blow. You should hear the air flow, especially as you open the throttle barrel. If no noise you have blocked jet.