Blohm and Voss BV215 build blog

Glenno

Advert

Nice work BadDad,

Looks like you found the same website I used for Luftwaffe markings. An excellent source. For your maiden I can pass on my observations... Set the Cof G just a bit forward. It's more controllable, rather than a huge zoom up as it first tastes the air, as happened to myself and others. Additionally use a bit less than full power, relying on a good shove. At full power, mine veers right sharply; the slight sag till the sticks are available is much easier to correct. More up, than down, elevon movement will minimize adverse yaw, although it still happens with shallow banking. Rolls need good timing with down elevator and it is the first model I have been able to sustain inverted for almost as long as I like, my usual with other conventional aircraft has only ever been a couple of seconds. Landings are a piece of cake, because it will slow down nicely with a predictable flare, just keep it level or you may lose a tip. Lastly, avoid gravel paths, unless you like filling gashes. Hope your first flight goes well, keep Glenn proud.

Thanks PlaneMike all info was taken onboard `no pun intended`. Got up the site on the Saturday.....it was meant to be the best of the two days.....blowing a gale lol. Got a txt from a friend on the Sunday saying it was perfect BV weather......dead calm. So off I went...double checked every thing as much as could be done.....had a helper launch slightly nose up. Away she went, was aware of not to much throttle ,used 3/4. She began to sink fast, opened the throttle a little more a bit of up and she just kissed the grass and away .......my jaw dropped.....what an amazing plane.....nothing untoward happened.....not even a couple of clicks on any trim. Orientation is a little daunting with a grey sky and camo paint scheme ,but low and slow fly bys look incredable smiley .All thanks to Glenn for a perfect plane. The build is nice and straight forward......and now there is interest with in the club from other scale guys. Flew around for a few circuits nothing to adventurous, was on 70% rates with 50% expo. Graceful is how she flew...so final circuit banked round nice and gentle chopping throttle to just under 50% leveled up and down for a perfect touch down yes She lives to battle again. Perhaps with expo and rates off wink and a full wring out.

3 cheers to Glenn.

Ohhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alex, if you were just a few months older, it was a recent free plan. If you had been born that bit earlier, you could well have taken modelling that little bit earlier, thereby having the plan.crying 2

I guess, being serious there are two options, a back issue mag, or the plan service.

A plus is that it should be a low cost build.

A negative, seems to be that a little experience, and a careful read of other peoples experiences, on this thread, for both building and flying.

Baddad- Im so glad to see another successful flying BV215. My wife looked over my shoulder as I read your report and said

"I take it from your smile it flew ok". The swelling of my heart and the lump in the throat answered her question!!

Yes it makes me proud that all my effort was not done in vain.

Enjoy

Glenn

• 7 years later...