Blohm and Voss BV215 build blog

Glenno

Peter Angus who was a aircraft designer and knows "his stuff" helped and proofed my plan and has had plans published himself told me that "they would cock up the plan somehow".
Looks like he was right.
It`s not even a complacated plan/drawing-never mind

Advert

Can I just remind you that despite the odd error creeping in on these plans when published - they do give a lot of people a lot of pleasure - and many many people end up with a very nice model - and lets not forget that these pull outs are "free" within the purchase cost of what is still the best RC magazine available.
PS the model looks great Glenn - and those extra pictures will help many I am sure

Tim,

I have to join in here. Yes you are correct that these plans are free and do give a lot of people a lot of pleasure and I am one of them. I have bought RCM&E since almost the first issue and still regard it as one of the best of its kind.

That said - the error in this plan is a basic draughting error and will cause major grief to anyone who tries to build the model unless the error is brought to their attention.

I think Glenn would agree that what we are both trying to do is publicise the error and possible workarounds. I am certainly not on a 'mag bashing' mission here and it would be stupid if - having identified an error - I did not bring it to the attention of forum users. Surely this is what forums are for?

Peter

LOL - I wish it were mine Glenn !
I dont work for the mag ( other than the odd article or review etc ) and helping out here, so no real axe to grind IYSWIM.
I agree, these errors shouldnt really happen, and no Peter, I have absolutely no problem with these things being discussed - and its a very useful feature to be able to use the forum to bring these sort of issues to the attention of users. I wasnt suggesting that you were "mag bashing" but just got a tad sensitive at the phrase " they would cock up the plan somehow" - sounded as if the accusation was that this always happens.
Just fighting Mr A's corner whilst he is away playing at Nuremberg toy fair.

All cool here Tim on this.

I agree that said phrase was shall we say unsporting and I know from experience that the accuracy of plans is normally excellent.

I have written articles for similar magazines in the past and know it is too much to ask that a 3rd party build each 'plan' model to check for errors and thus sadly this sort of thing will occasionally creep in.

Perhaps we should think of a forum thread for listing such errors - with succinct fixes. This would have to be carefully monitored so that it was a list of facts and not an area for mouthing off at the editor/designer or chatting about the problem.

Simply - there is an error, here is a workaround.
What do we all think - would this work - would anyone bother to look at the thread before getting out the craft knife?

Peter

Edited By Grasshopper on 05/02/2011 16:10:09

I have started to cut mine out but have a couple of questions.
Dose the wing have a spar in it at all apart from the winglet at the end?
What is the best glue to use for glueing down the balsa top sheeting?
I hope someone can enlighten me.

Patric
There is no spar.The test model did had one but it didnt have a balsa skin so it needed a spar. When you sheet the wing it adds lot of strength and also gives it great torsional stiffness. You need one .
As for the glueing question use UHU POR and for the rest of the build. Make sure that you put plenty of glue on the leading/trailing edge. Dont forget to shamfer the leading/trailing give it more surface area and a neater flush finnish to the wing

Patrick,

I am a great POR fan and normally use it almost exclusively for jobs like this.

That said however I decided here to use 'rapid' PVA - says 5 minute set on the bottle. I used PVA for the fus assembly and also for the wing sheeting. For the latter I applied glue to all parts of both surfaces then engaged the leading edge and taped this with 10 cm strips of good quality masking tape, 5 cm top wrapped over to 5 cm on the bottom. Then I massaged the skin back over the formers and rested 10 Kg of lead shot bags (yes 10 Kg!) over the surface of the wing. These bags (available in Scuba dive shops) are excellent as they spread the load evenly and smoothly over the area. I used 3x3Kg plus 4x1 Kg. At this stage the PVA was beginning to take so I quickly taped the trailing edge and rested a heavy weight on the rear edge of the sheeting where it rests directly on the Depron. Leave 24 hours and you have a really rigid structure. Absolutely no need of a spar by the way.

I failed in my bid to maintain the correct dihedral, which should be 1" under each wing tip. Mine has come out at 1.5" in total so not miles away. I hope to pull a little more when I glue the wing to the fus - later today.

Oh - to finish I assume you have worked round the plan error in the fuselage base length and also the former position markings?

Peter

Thanks for the help guys. I have made a few foamies over the last couple of years but none that look this good.

I am thinking of having a go at glassing this one. I have some very light weight glass cloth on order and am going to order some ploy-c to give it a go. Been wanting to have a go at glassing for the past year but not made anything that was worth the effort and expense. This one though I think will be worth it, I like the unusual planes.

Love the colour scheme you used Glenn. What make/type of paints did you use and what were the colours called, I would like to do the same colour scheme.

Ive never done any glassing although I would like to do a model some time.Not sure how much weight it would put on the model.I dont see the point in adding more weight to a model if I can help it. Why do you want to glass it.
As for the paint it is acrylic. I have all sorts from cheap to top draw.
this model used the good stuff--"Auto Air Colors" manufacturer some of the best waterbased custom and airbrush paints-I used their "Auto Air Transparent Colors", are transparent with a semi-gloss finish.Cant tell you the colors as I mix my own.Medium dark brown and a creamy/lighy yellow ish!!!
Remember dont add weight if you dont need to. Light planes fly better.

A XP67 sounds great. I would like to have a go at making that.
I was going to glass it to make it more resilliant and should make a better finish after painting. I belive from what other people say that glassing will only add about 4oz . I was going to fly with a 1300mAh battery so with the extra weight of the glassing it should be like flying with a 2200mAh battery which in your build said worked ok.
It should draw a bit of attention at the field as well which is always good.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine - complete and ready to fly.

Not too happy about the bright blue underside but pleased with my topsides.

I hope to add some decals - crosses and the like before Sunday. I decided that swastikas might not go down too well here in France - after some comments from other Club members.

I will keep you posted - and fingers crossed

Peter

Wow, posted pics of my finished BV215 (above this post) and thought I would weigh the thing before the first flight - and got a bit of a fright!

Glenn managed 18 oz or 511g whereas my all up weight, ready to fly is 646 g (23 oz). A big difference.

Glenn - can you confirm your weight was with battery etc. Has anyone else completed theirs and can give me a weight for comparison?

Peter

Peter.
Looking good. Can you post a pic of it side on please. why have tyou missed out the motor cowl/tube??
Just weighed mine and it is-
13.2oz/372g without battery
1lb2oz/509g with battery turnigy 1500-3s (no rx in)

Must be them 1980`s snakes that banged the weight on!!
5oz is a lot-where do you think the weight has come from

Glenn,

not sure where the weight came from. I did build heavy on the glue and there are 4 or 5 coats of paint on the top surfaces. My canopy is made from thick copper wore bent and soldered and 'glazed' with stiff plastic. In fact this weighs 20g plus I have my usual heavy duty Deans battery connectors so this lot all adds up.

Snakes - in the end I removed them as there was too much slop. The servos are embedded in the wings and there is just a short push rod so this will weigh about the same as your arrangement - except less the pods which I have been too lazy to make!

I have not fitted a motor cowl for the moment as I have concerns about motor cooling. I have left the front 'pane' of my canopy open and also the tail end of the fus so there is a good draught for the ESC which is mounted to the rear within the fus of course.

I don't think the weight increase will be a big deal except that flight times will be reduced but we will see on Sunday I hope.

Peter