Help setting up trainer in Pheonix Sim

David Patrick

Hi All

I've been using Pheonix flight sim for a couple of months to help with the learning process - especially with orientation. I've had the fun time now - and need to get a little more serious learning the basics.

What I'd like to be able to do is setup one of the trainer models so that it is as close to the real thing as possible. When I use one of the high wing trainers I need to fly at just over 3/4 to full throttle - to keep flight straight and level - which doesn't give me much control. The model flies too fast in other words.

I've played around with the trim settings on the TX and this works Ok to a degree - but I'd like to know what settings to make in the flight sim to enable a more controlled learning experience?

Being a novice I've read a little (or quite a bit) on forums and some good books with plenty of advice - one of the main bits of advice is to setup your model so it flies well at about 1/2 throttle to give control through the basics

Any advice please?

Thanks

Advert

Hi David

When you say the model flies too fast and doesn't give much control do you mean that it dives when throttle is reduced? Perhaps you need an elevator trim correction?

1. First, with the wind setting at zero, just set the trims so the model flies straight and level 'hands off' at around half throttle. The model may climb a little as throttle is applied but don't worry about this so long at the climb isn't too steep.

2. It's relatively easy to keep a sim trainer in the air and aimless flying is just that. The trick is to have the model in the presice bit of airspace that you want it to be in - fly the model and don't let the model fly you. So......

3. ......Use the BMFA 'A' certificate schedule as a guide and practice flying the schedule.

4. Sims are great but it's rare that you will fly when there's no wind so the next step is to bring some realism so introduce some wind into the sim - 10-15mph is fine.

5. Keep an eye out for the next time we have an online session, feel free to join in and we can watch your trainer and talk to you live, so to speak......can you join a session tonight?

I'll be on tonight sometime - so we'll have a session going.

David's advice is good - put some up elevator trim in this should enable you to fly at a slightly lower throttle setting.

Self discipline is vital to get the best out of the sim - as David says you must be convinced that you are flying the model and you are in control at all times. The model is going were you put it - not where it wants to go. So exercises like these are helpful:

1. Fly circuits. Rectangular (4 nice crisp turns) and "racetrack" (two nice long turns). Try to fly these circuits at constant height all the way round - don't bother with the altimeter, we're not talking constant height to the foot, just so that to you visually the model stays at constant height.

2. When you can do that practise opening the throttle a little and climb to a new height - say twice as high as before. Set your throttle back at the cruise and fly the circuits at that height - constant. Then close the throttle a little decend to half you first height. Reset to the cruise and fly that circuit at constant height.

3. When you can do that practice doubling and halving your height in exactly one circuit. So start the circuit at one height, climb all the way round and arrive back at the start point at twice the height. Do the same with decending circuits.

4. When you can do all that, add some wind - as David says 10mph constant to start with - straight down the strip. Fly your level, ascending and decending circuits.

5. Experiment with the wind, put it at 45 degrees to the strip, add gusts and turbulence. All the time flying your circuits.

Once you can do this and the model is going where you want then you are ready to move on to figure 8's and then landings.

BEB

BEB

Thank you both - good advice

What time are you planning on a session?
Also, do I need to do anything to set-up Pheonix? This will be my first session online so haven't set-up any voice settings yet

I'll see if I can join - I'm working away this week - connectivity in a hotel can always be hit and miss - but willing to give it a go.

Thanks again

No, we disable voice because it can slow the sim. But we can communicate via typing - chat room style.

You don't need anything else set up. Just click "multiplayer" and look for session called "modelflying" the password will probably be "forum" - you can check those details on here - there will be a post. Simply select the session and click "join". If your connection is slow you might not be able to get in so you'll have to try.

Regarding time - I would guess some time between 8 and 9 UK time.

BEB

David A and David P thanx for the fun at the field. Birdy got a bit confuddled with all the davids but never mind. David P your flying is good for a beginer. The online sesions are great for learning as such people as David Ashby are always ready to impart some of that vast knowledge. and you will learn without wasting money on models.
Well done hope to see you again some time.
HERE is where we post our intentions to go online.
David C

Glad you had a good time David P - sorry I missed you, but I'm sure you were more than well looked after by Davids A & C!

We did a session just after you guys finished - a bit wild - but lots of fun - with (I'm told) 5 Hawks in the air at one point - but I only noticed 3! I'd have been rubbish as a fighter pilot

BEB