Triple Threat 2

Ads

Anyone built the Triple Threat 2 from the free plan in RCME. I've finished all the balsa bashing (almost) - still a bit to do with the pylon - been good fun so far. Would like to hear from anyone whose finished it. Any photos ?

Advert

Hi - I built the Triple Threat 2 and flew it for the first time 2 days ago - its brilliant! My intention all along was for this to be a camera carrier and today I took aerial photos for the first time. I am a returner to the hobby after some 30 years and have been flying (electric) this time round for a year or so.

Any specific help I can give you - please ask.

Thanks David - I'll get some pics sorted asap.

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, I used a cheapie BM2409-12 motor from RCM Direct, a Towerpro MAG8 30A ESC, 8 cell 1600mAh Nimh and a 8"x4" prop and she has loads of power to spare. Mine weighed in at 28oz and shrugged off the extra 5oz of camera with hardly a drop in performance. I took the easy route and made flat bottomed wings but she floats around all the same and I am most happy. Endurance flights to come but I can see she is going to be up there for a while, 15 minutes yesterday with camera and there was stacks of battery to spare. I just had to get her down to check out what pictures I had taken. If anyone wants to get into this kind of thing cheaply, Tescos currently have a 3 megapixel Praktika camera for £35 - bargain!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I may have missed it, but I can't see the position of the Cof G on the plan, hang on I'm going to check again...

... nope, can't see it. Is the main spar a good starting point? looks about 30% of wing chord

I'm still a couple of weeks away from maiden, I'm still cutting parts, I have the ribs, and spars ready, should complete a fus kit tonight. Then a week to build and a week to cover and fit out. Do you think a geared speed 400 will be ok on 7 cells? I "retired" my sig rascal a month ago so have spare drive train available. 

cheers 

Hi Pat, sorry for the slow response. I am just going to upload a few more pics of the camera set up I have used for the TT2. Yes, it is operated by a servo fixed to the camera 'box' that I built out of 1/16th ply. The camera is held in the box by rubber bands to the pegs marked A on the photo and the whole thing is attached to the side of the pylon of TT2 by bands attached to the pegs B. A servo extension lead emerged from the starboard side to attach to the shutter servo, therefore the whole contraption can be easily removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a pretty core omission, mine isn't covered yet but I'm going for CG at the main spar. Colin can you confirm where you're balancing yours.

I'm thinking there should be quite a large amount of adjustment available as this is based on a free flight design, I'm sure it will cope with 30mm either way. If the climb is really zoomy you could shift it forward. A lot depends on how accurately your pylon goes together, giving you the final incidence. It might be fun to trim it for free flight at say 2/3 throttle and then"interfere" with it with your radio.

After a recent house move I've mislaid my covering iron which is most frustrating, I should be flying it today as the wind has dropped and I think we are going to get away with no rain until this evening.

Yup, can confirm that I've put the C of G on the main spar, but as ractive says it is fairly variable and definitely not critical. I don't mess with it at all when I strap the camera on when it tends to slip back a bit - just trim it out a bit when it gets airbourne. I have also elastic banded a U/C on just as an experiment and she takes off after about 30 foot. Naturally this also affects the C of G, but she doesn't seem to mind at all so don't sweat over it anyone.

thanks for clarifying/confirming the C/G Colin. I was thinking about under carriage, although not that practical on the ridge and furrow field I'm flying off. The wind usually blows perpendicular to the ridges which means I try to land on a downhill, or stall it onto an uphill. I can fling and catch my DLG most times so avoiding the problem. I might have a go at catching the TT2 if I can slow it down enough to just drop into may hand.

I'll get some photos up asap 

Hi Guys, 

Sorry that RCM&E left the CG off the plan, in fairness, they did apologise.  The main spar is the right place.  The original would have been far aft of there, but that was the fashion of the times: aerodynamically it's a bit of a suspect theory.  We've got elevator for trim so auto stability is not so necessary,  and peak glide performance can be sorted in flight.

Glad you are enjoying the model.

Chris Reid

Christopher, very nice plan and I'm starting to kit it out. I'm a little confused by the wording of the ply braces. The main wing panel braces show two dotted lines and I'm not sure which line is for the leading edge (measured from the top or bottom)? The wing tip braces indicate four (4) required but the plan seems to have dotted lines for six (two on the leading adge) or am I mistaken? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jack Higgins

Toronto 

Hi all, I did the same - 2 braces on the tips, took a bit of working out with the dotted lines, but do a bit of measuring and it all comes clear.

I'd be interested what power setups you guys are using or propose to use? As I said in a earlier post I used a cheapie BM2409-12 motor from RCM Direct, a Towerpro MAG8 30A ESC, 8 cell 1600mAh Nimh and a 8"x4" prop and there is power to spare and nothing gets more than slightly warm.

Hi all,

Ref the spars.  Once the spars are webbed at the break points, the size of the ply joiners should appear obvious.  The plan has omitted the dotted lines for three joiners at the tip, but the centre break depths are identical, only the angle varies.  The main spar joiners are 3/4" deep, the secondary spars 1/2" and the LE 3/8" at the centre break.   These dimensions are not supercritical as I've probably over engineered them a bit.

CR