The Stig

Hi there, been lurking about for a while and thought i would sign up and say hello

Ive always been a keen modeller (kit type) and have always been interested in the radio control side but never taken the high jump. I get RCM&E every month and always enjoy reading it

But just before christmas i purchased a simulator and a Spektrum DX6 transmitter, ive been doing the simulator since then and have improved my skills and can take off and land comfortably. obviously i know it will be different come the real thing

At the weekend i went down to 2 of my local flying clubs, The first one didnt really to have any time for me being a beginner, so i tried the next club and they were amazing, so friendly and couldnt do enough for me! I took the details and will be joining up as soon as im back from holiday, I even ended up buying a brand new boomerang trainer off one of the guys and spoke to the instructor of the club who is going to teach me to fly it!

im finding myself really tempted to buy a ARTF Mosquito (as it looks amazing!) by HC Hobby, although this is probably running before i can walk!

Advert

Posted by The Stig on 16/03/2011 21:42:15:

im finding myself really tempted to buy a ARTF Mosquito (as it looks amazing!) by HC Hobby, although this is probably running before i can walk!

Glad you found a "club", the first group sounds like an exclusive sect. As for the mozzie, that would be more like flying before you can crawl. People who are good at flying trainers are usually good at everything else. The other way round is often expensive.

You can last a long time by buying relatively low cost second hand, fully equiped aircraft needing only minor attention. I have two Tiger Moths, both with Laser engines (Bees knees IMO) each one less than £150 in working order.

Edited By Lazygit on 16/03/2011 21:57:57

Hi Stig,

Intentionally or not you have just gone about getting started in exactly the right manner. I hope you get a great deal of pleasure from learnig and then goping solo with RC aircraft. No doubt the guidance of your instructor will take through everything you need to know.

Regarding the Mosquito, go for it - one day when you are ready. You will need to be accomplished in using the rudder, ailerons, elevator & throttle in combination to safely fly any twin motor/engine aircraft, well not so much to fly it but to continue to fly it in the event of any motor/engine problem causing differential thrust.

Glad you found a friendly club and a friendly forum - have a great time.

Ian

Posted by Lazygit on 16/03/2011 21:52:07:
Posted by The Stig on 16/03/2011 21:42:15:

Glad you found a "club", the first group sounds like an exclusive sect. As for the mozzie, that would be more like flying before you can crawl. People who are good at flying trainers are usually good at everything else. The other way round is often expensive.

Lazygit, that's a great statement and to the point- I'll remember that one.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/03/2011 21:58:17

Hi Stig,

and welcome on board. Most clubs are like the second one you visited in my experience - warm and welcoming to beginners. Sadly you do get the odd few miseable so-and-so's in any hobby. Anyway glad you found a good club.

This is a friendly forum, and as you'll know if you've been lurking for a while all questions welcome and members are always glad to help.

Enjoy learning and post how you get on - we all enjoy sharing the excitment of someone learning to fly for the first time!

BEB

Hey stig,
Like yourself im fairly new to the forum, im learning with a seagull boomerang too, theyre a great plane, i did have a sc 46 engine in it, was easily enough power, normal circuits didnt even require half throttle, but was having running problems which was no good for confidence building so ive jus got a jen 47 to go in it insted, havent tried it out yet but fingers crossed, ive also found it a lot easier to set some exponential into my transmitter to make it even easier to control for a while until my thumbs get gentler lol, theres bound to be some more info on doing that on here,
As for the artf mosquito, what ive done is get a proper kit and take time building it for after the boomerang to further your skill, gets rid of the itch to buy things for a while and gives you something to get your teeth into, mines a top flight p-51

• 3 weeks later...
Just thought would give a little update, ive since joined the flying club and purchased the trainer, i had my first flight yesterday and it went pretty well, it was quite windy but managed to do a few circuits although i felt it was probably quite high up but i guess this is incase anything goes pearshaped and the instructor needed to take it back lol

Preceeding this there was a few crashes at the field including a mid air and also a brush with a tree which made it a bit nerve racking but the instructor put my mind at ease by telling me we would be high and away from the other planes.
Afterwards the instructor said i seemed to know what i was doing and shouldnt be that long till im attempting taking off and landing, just hope theres some calm days on the horizon!

Roll on next weekend! Cant wait to fly again! Still got the mosquito in mind but i think ill wait as i think ill most probably end up going with a IC scale model

Also how would one go about getting into the building side of it? Ive always enjoyed building plastic kits and i quite like the technical side of things, maybe i could build a kit of some sort?

Excellent news there Stiggy - sounds like your well on the way to full addiction.
If you fancy a bit of building, you could do worse than starting with something like the Chris Foss range - not the new ARTF versions, but one of his plan pack items like the timeless Wot4 or the very nice looking and flying AcroWot.
Most of us seasoned modellers have had one or more of both of these classics.

Stig - check out the Charity Mass Build threads. Start here for the background.

The build is on at the moment - started 1st April - we have experienced builders posting very detailed threads on each aspect of the build so you have a blow by blow account of every step. The model we're building is the WebBit - a WOT4 like smaller model that can be powered by IC or electric - your choice.

In addition there are Mass Build Chat threads here and here and loads of individual build blogs running. In total we have something like 52 people all building the same model in 52 totally different ways! There are "straight" WebBits, WebBits with flaps, WebBits with lights, WebBits with V-tails, Electric WebBits, IC WebBits, a convertable WebBit even an autogtro WebBit is promised!

Part of the point of this is to help people exactly like yourself who are doing their first plan/kit build. So it could be right up your street. And we're raising a few bob for charity along the way!

We plan to fly the WebBits at a mass "fly-in" at Greenacres in the Midlands in June! Take a look.

BEB