by proper i mean ic engine

had a look at 3 which seem to be ok at fit the budget

all are seagull
1 arising star
2 bomerang
3 jumper

1 and 2 are .46 size
3 is .25 size
1 and 2 seem very similar from what ive read is there a diffrence if so what is it

3 is smaller costs a bit less

am sure you all know these planes so can any1 tell BEST and y i want to progress with the plane and learn use it for a good while not

any other suggestions are welcome

thankyou lee

Advert

The Arising star has a flat bottom wing and the Boomerang has a semi symmetrical wing (curved top and bottom). I learn't on the Boomerang and i believe this type of wing handles the wind a little better and it will be a bit more aerobatic than a A-Star when you eventually reach that stage...baring in mind its still a trainer and not a 3D machine!!. Its a good size model so you won't loose sight of it. Doesn't cost the earth and is very forgiving. To be honest you'll need all the same equipment to fly the Jumper so you might as well go slightly larger if you have the room/extra pennies. I loved mine.

I've the Boomerang and the club trainer is an A-Star, from what my "instructor" says the Boomerang is a little more responsive. He managed to fly the Boomerang inverted but the A-Star doesn't like it. You might find that the bigger engine is more suitable to transfer into another model at some stage.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will love it.

I agree with Shuglu - of those three the Boomerang fits your criteria best. The only model I would say is better is the Irvine Tutor 40 which usually costs more. (Slightly more aerobatic and therefore may have more use in future).

Have you had a few flights with an instructor Lee? I would strongly recommend that you do and then ask the instructor to honestly tell you if you are demonstrating any particular difficulties in controlling the aircraft. If he says "No" then stick with what has already been said. If he says "Yes" then perhaps the A-Star might be more suitable as it's very stable. That stability would be something you would have to later work against if you want to perform aerobatics though.

Hope this helps & enjoy your flying.

Ian

If I were you Lee I'd pick between the A-Star and the Boomerang - 25 models are bit on the small side for a trainer, too vulnerable to wind and TBH you are not that likely to want a 25 size engine in your second model - but a 46 would do nicely in a whole range of low wing more advanced "second models".

I've helped learners with both A-Stars and Boomerangs. TBH they are both good trainers and there isn't much to pick between them. I would agree with what most folks are saying, the A-Star is probably the easier of the two to fly, having said that neither of them are difficult to fly.

The Boomerang gives a bit more room for development and is more likely to hold your interest longer than the A-Star which you might grow out of quite quickly.

On balance, unless you are feeling very insecure, I'd go for the Boomerang - especially if you are a younger person - I say this because in general young people learn fast and the more responsive, slightly more aerobatic, Boomerang would probably suit better.

BEB

Posted by Plane Addict on 21/03/2011 19:15:52:
I don't wanna stir up the pot, but why is a plane with an ic engine a proper plane? If you want to fly with ic engines, it's your choice of course, just curious.
i my eyes its sound the fact its a real engine buzzing away the smell
[how many real electric planes r they]

i fly a 4chnl electric at moment and love it think to progress id like a ic model
not saying that 1 is better than other am quite sure electric is better in alot of ways

as for an instructor am realy struggling to find a club or any help locally to be honest

i live in cumbria there is a club 3 mile away with a site [copeland]

then another 30mile away carlisle club have contact details for this club but id rather go to the closer club

can fly my cessna not to bad but am sure there will be a big diffrence

thanks for all the comments keep them coming plz like i said open to suggestions

I have a boomerang and its great, mine flys well upside down as stated in an earlier post, sometimes I actually mean to do it to

If/When I break it I would not hesitate to get another.

Have a look at the kit/engine deal they do at Kings Lynn models.

Arising star gets my vote, thats what i learnt on I had a 46 up front in mine, once I got used to it just set all the throws to max and it could be thrown about the sky easily, and it flew inverted fine.

One thing I would advse Lee, I know you are looking hard for a club - keep up the search! As you've already said a larger model will be "different"!

Its one thing flying small electric around a local field - its quite another thing with a 46 powered trainer weighing in 5lbs+. You really will benefit from a club's support to fly this.

Try the BMFA club pages, find the club website if they have one (most do but not all) - there you will often find the email address or phone number of the secretary. Get in touch and see if you can't sort yourself out a membership.

BEB

thankyou again for all advice looks like its a split between astar and bomerange

had a look at the jp prangster looks like it can take a knock not the best looking is it

cant see a lot of info on building it though the other 2 look realy simple is this the same
price is a little more but if you can crash without totaling it could workout cheaper

i take it crashing is part of learning aswell or NOT

as for club got some good news ive made contact with copeland only 5 mins drive away
and the nice fellow offered to help with training [ well some body within the club]

also said i could pop along for a look before spending money make sure i am intrested

so looking good

i never said on earlier post the plane i want must be a fairly simple to build although i have built a lot of nitro cars and other bits like never a plane so a rtf type of kit is a must and then i could fly and learn y i build a better more sports model and no rush

cheers all the best lee

Ideally crashing should not be part of learning , certainly not on a buddy lead with an instructor.

But the odd - er....'very firm landing' shall we say, tends to part and parcel of the deal So a trainer does have to be fairly tough and simple to carry out small repairs on.

I think all the models discussed so far are ARTF and straight forward to build.

BEB

Lee, you can download the instructions for all three from airtekhobbies.com they might help you make your decision. In essence you could make any of them using the instruction from one of the others, they are so similar.

Before you buy, meet the instructor at the club, he will have ideas for you.

Hi I have tried the Hanger 9 mustang PTS nice and stable but to fast keeping it as a first low winger
Then I got a Vmar Hornet unfortunately my instructor crashed it not his fault radio lost its bind I think wings are ok so I am going to recover them and turn it into a magnatilla type thing
I am now waiting for a J Perkins Cub hope this will be ok as a trainer as it is high winged has a forty engine well GP42 I have to admit I really dont like "flying boxes" and prefer a real plane

Posted by Plane Addict on 21/03/2011 19:15:52:
I don't wanna stir up the pot, but why is a plane with an ic engine a proper plane? If you want to fly with ic engines, it's your choice of course, just curious.

I love the banter between the IC and EP flyers at the field. There's no tension and it's all in good fun.

As a former biker, it's the fetling with the engine, the smell of burnt fuel, and the sound that's the big plus for IC

I learnt with a Jumper 25 and it was a great little plane. I also fitted a 46, which worked a treat and avoided the pretty much useless .25 engine being stuck on the shelf later. In fact the 46LA is still the engine in my hack I fly more than anything.

It is a bit cheaper, and being a bit smaller means it is a little more convenient. It is also tough as old boots. Don't be put off with the comments about the wind- I once landed mine backwards as the headwind was so strong!!

Any of the 3 on your list would be fine, but they all need a .46

Ah I shall just remove my size 13 (true wot they say about men with big feet we need big shoes LOL . I wasnt saying thte cub is a proper plane because it is Ic rather than electric . I meant it is a real plane rather than 4 sheets of plywood stuck together with no semblence of the real thing other than 2 wings a rudder and a prop. I like plenty of EP craft, infact I would love a Cularis and a large Tucano with electric, as it sounds more like a turbofan. Also I dont like IC helis as the engine masks the noise of the blades
I do like the banter though

I love the banter between the IC and EP flyers at the field. There's no tension and it's all in good fun.

As a former biker, it's the fetling with the engine, the smell of burnt fuel, and the sound that's the big plus for IC

Ok, I can understand that... at least, a little, the smell of burnt fuel makes me sick. I very much like go-karts, but I can only do a few laps before I want to vomit. Even watching is almost impossible

Posted by Plane Addict on 24/03/2011 19:17:17:

Ok, I can understand that... at least, a little, the smell of burnt fuel makes me sick. I very much like go-karts, but I can only do a few laps before I want to vomit. Even watching is almost impossible

Whats good for peter is not always good for paul is it

if you enjoy to fly and choose electric of ic its all about flying isnt it so they all go up they all come down its just the little bits that we choose that makes the hobby what we want
it to be
and the smelly fuel is what i like but if i flew with you would choose electric as dont like the smell of sick

by the way i have to say i like the look of the stealth electrics on you tube LOOKS AWSOME

Whoop Whoop off to Inwoods (can I say that) to get my piper this afternoon.
I can't wait all excited bit like a big kid the wife reckons !
might put a build log on here although it is an ARTF, suppose we are beginners so it might be useful to some one.
I will put some photo's on too and if any of the old timers see any thing I do wrong they can offer some help and it will prevent me and anyone who reads from making the same mistakes.