FF7 Super FP-T7UPS Futaba Need help or photos!

Zack T

Hi guys,

I have a Futaba FF7 Super FP-T7UPS. It's a pretty old model, haven't been used for a long time and the nickel cadmium battery leaked and corroded a portion the mainboard. Other than that, everything else looks fine. So i was hoping to clean it up and get it working again.

The solder joints were badly corroded and were crusting and falling apart. I cleaned up the board and reworked the affected area. I'd be repairing the trace later on.

But i think i messed up a few of the components, more details in the photo. I circled them in yellow.
Does anyone still have this transmitter? I am hoping to get a close up photo so that i can compare the components.

1. i think it was a resistor, it was destroyed by the desoldering pump. i can't remember the value on it and couldn't find any schematics. I placed a 475 there for now.

2. Is this spot supposed to be empty?

3. Is that correct? is it a 102 there or is that spot supposed to be empty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I do have the manual, it's for FP-7UPS and FP-7UFS. I can scan a copy of it if any one needs it.

Edited By Zack Tay on 22/04/2011 12:02:25

Edited By Zack Tay on 22/04/2011 12:09:29

Advert

I am not being funny here, but i GAVE one of these away just 2 weeks ago, it simply isnt worth the effort, let alone risking a model on, its kaputt, finished, retired, even the much superior ff8s are not bringing much dosh, i dare say, if you apeal on here, somone will blow the dust off one and give it to you, if i had one, it would be winging its way to you, bin it, taint worth the risk,

Yea i know it's kinda outdated. BUT i've already put in a lot of time trying to restore it. Just need to confirm the placement before i put everything back and give it one last shot.
Thanks for the heads up thou, I'll make sure to test it vigorously before it gets anywhere near a model. Any chance i could contact the person you gave it to?

no, sorry, he wanted it for a sim, and i would not trust it further than that, the FF7 suffers after an age, from decayed pots, and strained wiring, this you cant see, it just appears when a model dives into the deck just think of how much dosh a model will cost you, the time you have spent on this model will be of no relavance, a corroded board is a corroded board, please put it behind you, and move on,

anyone else got any thought on this?

Posted by Zack T on 22/04/2011 18:39:45:
Yea i know it's kinda outdated. BUT i've already put in a lot of time trying to restore it. Just need to confirm the placement before i put everything back and give it one last shot.
Thanks for the heads up thou, I'll make sure to test it vigorously before it gets anywhere near a model. Any chance i could contact the person you gave it to?

What you are doing isn't a difficult job, and under some circumstances would be worth doing.

What makes this one doubtful is the fact that it was nicad damage.

It is possible that the damage extends to areas that can't be seen, or detected at this stage, like between the different metals in a soldered joint, or under the tracks, or even within components. The corrosion from nicads can creep even along encapsulated wires.

The only way you could be even half sure would be to remove every component and replace it and to re-tin all tracks.

The damage looks close to the CPU, which means that it could appear to work fine, then become unstable,

I'm only talking from my own experiences, I'm sure some will disagree.

Economy wise, for less than half an hours labour, you could buy a better one. Good for having a go, but some times it is better to cut losses and make good use of valuable time.

There is of course a very good chance you could be lucky, but that is what it would be, plain luck, and luck has a habit of running out at the most inopportune times

I'm just starting out, so was initially hoping to fix up the tx, use it for sim and then move on to flying. Guess i didn't put much thought into it. Thanks for the advice, I'll get a new tx and use this box only for sim.

i dont see any joke anywhere, it was starting too look sus, even our esteemed mr ashby thought so, now then, lets see if we can help you out, does anyone have a 35mhz tranny they dont want? i only have the one i need left, i have a skysport one, but no battery, and its not a computer version, anyone help??

Sorry Zack, try filling in your profile - it doesn't have to be personal info but it means that folks can tailor their replies when helping out.

It's all down to safety. If you're serious about model flying then you need to be serious about safety and that means keeping models and radios in good condition (and don't take them apart unless you're very confident with your skill set). Flying a model using damaged radios could be fine but then again it could be dangerous - are you expert enough to ensure all those circuits are in A1 condition? It's too late after you've damaged people or property.

The FF7 Super was a ground breaking Tx in it's day (20 years ago) and you sometimes see well looked after examples at the flying field but what you have there isn't well looked after.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 24/04/2011 15:26:07

Hi Zack.

I have an FF7 transmitter which I believe is in good condition. It needs a new nicad battery though as when fully charged, it discharges almost straight away.

If you are willing to cover postage at cost, Im happy to send this to you.

I havent opened the case so cannot vouch for the state of the boards. As far as Im aware with a new battery it should be in full working order.

Let me know what you think.

Hi Piper,

Sorry for the late reply, been caught up with work. Wow, that's a really kind gesture! THANK YOU! I dropped you a message.

Just to keep people informed, Zack contacted me about my offer. I'd assumed Zack was in the UK but it turns out he's in Singapore. IMO the cost of posting even though Zack offered to pay would be about 50 quid I reckon.

Im going to see if I can get some pictures of the circuit boards first.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Zack T on 22/04/2011 11:59:51:
Hi guys,

I have a Futaba FF7 Super FP-T7UPS. It's a pretty old model, haven't been used for a long time and the nickel cadmium battery leaked and corroded a portion the mainboard. Other than that, everything else looks fine. So i was hoping to clean it up and get it working again.

The solder joints were badly corroded and were crusting and falling apart. I cleaned up the board and reworked the affected area. I'd be repairing the trace later on.

But i think i messed up a few of the components, more details in the photo. I circled them in yellow.
Does anyone still have this transmitter? I am hoping to get a close up photo so that i can compare the components.

1. i think it was a resistor, it was destroyed by the desoldering pump. i can't remember the value on it and couldn't find any schematics. I placed a 475 there for now.

2. Is this spot supposed to be empty?

3. Is that correct? is it a 102 there or is that spot supposed to be empty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I do have the manual, it's for FP-7UPS and FP-7UFS. I can scan a copy of it if any one needs it.

Edited By Zack Tay on 22/04/2011 12:02:25

Edited By Zack Tay on 22/04/2011 12:09:29

The resistor nearest to the ic is 103 ie 10 kand thefurther away is 102 ie 1k and the transister is LD, also can you send me the scematic that you have

Hi , Have checked the values and the res nearest to the ic is 10 k and the one next to it is a 1k and the tran is LD .
Do you have schematic for the board?
My display is not working whereas all the other functions are ok .

I believe you are in Singapore and Frederick at singa hobby supplies fixes futaba stuff .

anyway i will exchange my tx for some stuff that i need from shs , .

Bye
PP

• 3 months later...
Hi Zack!!
I have this radio and i still fly with it . I am not very good at electronic circuiting, but still i can help you with photos..

Abhay