Example Build - Electric Power installation

Olly P

Morning all,

Firstly an apology for the delay in starting this thread but due to work commitments I have not got as far on the Webbit as I had hoped (43 hour weeks and 48 hr weekends!)

Anyway, I intend to go through the set-up I am planning to use, the numbers that go with it, and when I have built enough for it to be worthwhile(or possible) the actual installation. I am making some slight changes to my Webbit from the norm - twin aileron servos, installed in the wing, and LED lighting.

Regards the lighting this can be seperated into 2 parts - firstly the additional warning light I'm going to put onto the front of the webbit, powered through the rx which will flash on alternate sides of the fuselage as soon as the mian flight battery is fitted and power supplied to the rx. Second is the LED lightng system, powered via a UBEC and distribusion sysytem I am designing.

Onto the actual power system then. This came pro=imarilly from the big fish, and consists of 1 each of these:

And several of these:

I have now tested this setup on the bench - photos to follow shortly, and am producng around 200W. I will probably try this set-up with some slightly larger props, and see what sort of output I get - I'm looking for 250-300W.

Connectors - I have been asked via PM which connectors I am using, and I have to say I used to use deans connectors, however they are fiddly, and I have become frustrated with them, so I have switched to these: connectors

These have several advantages - I crimp AND solder them, they are cheap, and they can handle 33A continuos and over 50Amp peak (short term only)

I have set these up, as you will see, so the power 'sending' terminal is always female and the reciever is male, once insulated this prevents cross connection.

one last thing on batteries, I am using some 3s batteries I happened to already have, but whichever you use please check the current drawn is within its capability, and within that of the ESC.

Photos will follow, promise!

Olly

Hi Olly, good to see the electric installation coming along.

I do have to say though that I have my doubts about those connectors.
Not from any first hand knowledge mind you so I could be completely wrong.
But they look like the type that is used in cars for a fit and forget solution, and not for repeated connecting and disconnecting.
I would worry that over time they may not fit as tightly as new and that the surface material could dull and not work so well.
Any slight resistance that creeps in will cause losses of power and localised heating at the point of contact.
Hopefully I'll be proved completely wrong, but personally, I'll be sticking to gold plated Deans and 4mm gold connectors designed for the job.

I also got tired of Deans connectors. Fiddly and good for getting sore finger tips. I moved to the EC3. They're fitted as standard to the Parkzone models and are larger, easier to grip and have a good firm feel to them when connected. They're slightly trickier to solder but I'd I've no desire to change them.

Morning again all,

Family commitment mean I've made very little progress this weekend, however I have had just enough time to do the work standard connector test - 100 connections and removals then a visual and physical check for resistance and connection ease.

They failed. Thus different connectors will be used.

I will probably order from GC (just sent them one order, well last night)

In addition I will be using some other connectors used at work, I know these can withstand thousands of connections and disconnections, without any problems. These will be multi-way connectors for the wing electrics - Servo's, LED's, etc, all through 1 good connector.

More details to follow once I have obtained and connected them, photo/videos to show how simple this plan will be. Obviously the final demo will be after I build everything....

BB- seperate battery also, aircraft will have twin access hatches and a switch for the lighting system. One pair of LED's however will be safety flashers on the fus for when the main power pack is connected and the motor becomes live. Circuit diagram to follow, probably tomorrow, with a stripboard photo, and video of functioning LED's before mounting.

Any queries please post/PM - A post may get a faster answer!

Back to setting up for the family to come round for the easter eggstraviganza.

Olly

Right then, Progress update.

First thing is I have now changed those connectors over to 4mm caged plugs, much better. Some of the photos to follow where taken before they got switched so ignore the connectors shown.

Onto the build then. Having tested the motor on the stand to ensure the ESC can handle the ampage and power output is reasonable, I place the components onto the side panel to figure out where they are going to be located:

The top battery is the main flight battery, the bottom is for the lighting system. The lighting system battery has JST-XH 2 way plugs so I have some sockets from RS to mount onto stripboard and the LED's will distribute from there. I need to calculate the inline resisters to use for the LED's to limit the power and avoid damaging them - once built in and covered there will be no access to the LED's. I'm going to use this website to do the calculation for me.

I've now decided it will all fit where I want it, so I use the second bulkhead supplied in the kit as a panel to mount the motor, and the original to mount the ESC.

I put some extra holes in both first to allow the ESC/Motor wires through them and neaten up the whole installation - photo's in next post.

So alterations to firewall and motor mounts:

Motor Mount:

Marked required location of the motor to get alignment with the front 'through' panel and marked where the wires will be hitting the panel. I then drilled the 4 holes shown with a small fine drill and then widened with a 5mm drill bit. these holes where then used to push the bloade of a small pearson saw (coping saw). I cut round the little rectangle for the wires to then push through.

The motor was then mounted onto this panel with care being taken to ensure alignment with the front panel. The screws supplied with the motor where a little long and protruded throgh the far side of the panel. This had the potenetial to cause problems due to the proximity of the ESC. Using the off-cut strips from the mounting plate (trimmed for height) I mounted these to the rear of the motoro plate to cover the tips of the screws and to provide a cable channel. A length of bell wire I had spare was glued between the cutoffs to tie the ESC/Motor cables in place. I am aiming for a neat and tidy installation.

OK. Firewall, in the traditional location. This was due to have the ESC mounted upon it, facing the motor. I therefore cut a hole for the battery cable to pass through using the same method as above, and using a clip from the packaging of the pearson saw held the battery wires in place on the rear of the firewall - entering the body of the aircraft. The Rx to ESC cable also passes through this hole.

The motor mount was tacked in place at a supported 90 degrees with cyano, and then reonforced with some 5 minute epoxy, and the epoxy allowed to cure overnight. The ESC was fixed in place with velcro, and the same fixing method has been employed this morning with some weight to ensure a good fit:
Next is the battery tray cut and allow for cables at the front, and lengthen to support full battery lengths, then some electronics stuff for the LED systems - Warning and main.
More later, depending on SWMBO.

Olly

Will you be putting any directed cooling air onto the ESC in that position?

On my Webbit I incorporated a pair of air scoops on the side of the fuselage (fashioned from plastic spoons) with a short angled plastic tube (though paper tube would hae been lighter) to cure the warming effects of ESC and battery in an enclosed space. The bottom hatch had a hole in as a warm air exit.