Here's something I did'nt expect....

JohnnyB

Well, here's a surprise. Well to me anyway.

I 've just bought a JP Ultra Power supply unit. Lovely looking piece of kit. So I hook it upto my Pro Peak Constellation charger, and blow me it comes up with a warning...... .. bleeeeeeeping away with the message."...input voltage error - 15.73v"

But on the box, the JP unit states, and I quote, "DC 12v 10A switching power supply" but then in the instructions it states a warning that - "Device output no - load voltage exceeds 15VOLTS...!!!"

So,  as a complete beginner in this elec trickery world, I'm thinking - well as most pieces of equipment take a 12v input, why o why does someone come along with an output of Bleeeeeeping 15v??

After all, its advertised as a 12v output....!!!

Is 15v the new 12v OR is the world just going completly MAD??

John.

Advert

You could load it with a resistor, to bring the output down. Try a wirewound around 100 ohms or so, and monitor the current flowing through the resistor, and also the voltage across the output after this load is applied. Once the charger is up and running, you may be able to remove the resistor.

yes that is a good idea too, I used to do that with an old charger of mine, - just used an old alarm panel SLA 12V battery as a load,and connected the charger to it.

I now use home made PSUs converted from old PC PSUs, and they power all my liPo chargers direct without the need for loads / batteries at all.

Timbo and Martin,

Thankyou both for your replies.

My main beef was that I'd bought a PSU which was advertised as giving a 12v output, which I understand is the usual requirement for most R/C accessories, only to find in the instructions that it gives out 15v. Then, when I connected it up to my Constellation charger, the charger message came up with - "no - load voltage exceeds 15v........"

I've since looked at other PSU's on the market, and they all seem to supply 13v (ish).

As I've said before, I'm completely new to this exciting side of modelling (elec -trickery)  and there's so much I need to learn, but learn I want to(?)

Martin, please let me know more about your offer of a 12v/5A PSU. I'm definately looking out for another one!!!. Then I can get to grips with working the charger.........!

Thanks Again,

John.

John, Please email me at [email protected] (hurry, because the address is soon to change) and I shall find out the p&p cost. If you are interested, I have some very good quality 12V chargers at only £5 each, but the p&p is around £7. Probably about the same for the two together. The chargers are 1A max and cut off when the battery is charged, regardless of its capacity.