Clean Sweep!

Tim Hooper

• 4 months later...
Advert

Hi Tim,

I'm thinking about foregoing the vintage build and doing this one. I have thought about blowing this up to about 54" span and using a Jen 57 I have hanging around. Would this create any probs with the structure? I was thinking about glassing the finished balsa work. Pretty new to scratch building only done a mini panic so far!

Andy

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys! It's great to get such immediate and positive feedback!

Turby, I'm guessing that going to a Jen57 is going to put the model up into the 5lb AUW ballpark, so you might want to thicken the wing a tad in the interests of structural integrity. The prototype weighs less than 3lb, so the G-forces generated on the centre-joint agreat in comparison.

Mind you, I'm under a bit of pressure to draw up a (say) 60" version, suitable for 5S or a 70 four-stroke. But that won't be for a while yet.......

tim

Posted by Tim Hooper on 12/12/2011 09:15:33:

Mind you, I'm under a bit of pressure to draw up a (say) 60" version, suitable for 5S or a 70 four-stroke. But that won't be for a while yet.......

tim

Ooooh Interesting.....Clean Sweep is on my list to build at some point & I wondered about a 25 or a 32 up front to make a "proper" model of it but a slightly larger one might be fun too......

Might the "Clean Sweep" logo be available to those who ask nicely......as a jpeg perhaps? Mr Hooper was kind enough to supply the Pix E logo for his last but one masterpiece (now only one-and-a-half models away from being built in the Hargreaves modelling den....)

Posted by Tim Hooper on 12/12/2011 09:15:33:

tim

Tim where do we click to increase the pressure?

When you do it, just check there's room for my standard 6S A123 pack please

Thanks for the reply Tim. I think to get to 54" span would be about 15% increase in the size of the plan. I was just going to blow up the entire plan which would increase all the dimensions. I'd add extra rib/spar bracing as a matter of course, but I was thinking as it is a fully sheeted wing it'll be surprisingly strong any way. With addition of a glass skin that should be enough. Now you go and make it more difficult by planning a 60" version. But it is such a pretty aircraft. I know you like electric but one of these with a 50cc petrol would be awesome!

Andy

Well I've taken the plunge. Think I might have ordered enough balsa fill the boot of my car. As I managed to find a barely used Turnigy motor knocking around in the bottom of my parts bin, along with an appropriate ESC and servos, I'm not going to modify the plan at all just build as Tim says. Hopefully I'll get this started next week as long as the balsa turns up. Best be off to make a building board now....

Andy

Yeah, I certainly will Tim. I just hope I can do your plans justice. This will only be the second plane I've attempted from a plan (not really worth mentioning the first one). I've built a few kits and assembled many ARTF's but this is pretty new to me. The building bit doesn't worry me too much. It's the finishing that makes me quiver.
Hopefully will get it started before Christmas, but that might just be the initial cutting of the ribs and formers. I can only do so much at a time before my shoulder starts seizing up. Mind you surgery in the new year might be sorting that out

Andy