Best value EDF jets ?

john haz

just a bit more on the GF-15

If there's one thing i hate, it's those difficult to use battery bays fitted to the underside of a model, so i decided to mod the F15.

It has a perfectly good removable canopy with lots of room, but I guess that would put the COG out far too much. So I took to it with a stanley knife, cut out some foam & used the bay underneath to house the ESC & Receiver,

untested as yet but hopefully it will work & changing batteries means I don't have to upturn the jet !

The underside battery bay, lots of room in here without a 2200 3S cluttering things up

Under the canopy - some foam bracing removed but replaced with balsa

Advert

Posted by john haz on 11/05/2011 18:53:38:
interesting observation to add to this one ...

mine was built today & as with all my models, it got the wattmeter test.

In David's review he stated 170w, just checked mine & got 276w

Wondering if they have changed anything ?? I am pretty sure my meter reads ok, in fact if anything I did wonder if it read LOW after checking a motor Tim sent me a few months ago & getting a far lower reading

Seems to pull pretty well & hopefully will hand launch ok at the weekend !

BTW, I read somewhere (maybe even on Al's) that you should not to fly WOT all the time, IIRC, to protect the ESC. You might want to check the ESC rating and look at the amps reading on the watt meter to see exactly where you stand.

i did read that bit about flying full chat, thanks Nigel. it is on Al's advert & i think on the review by David too.

the ESc is a 30A, which sorta adds up, I am pulling about 25A.

@ 170w of power, presumably the batteries would hold 11V, so only a 15A pull, hardly enough to warn about flying full power on a 30A esc is it !

All that said, I don't think David had a duff one because he said it flew so well.

Mystery ????

I always thought that 170W sounded a bit low, 270W sounds more like it on a 3S pack. If you feel a bit unsure about the controller, a 40A Hobbywing or similar would give you more headroom. On a 3S setup I would imagine you will be near full power quite a lot.
Started to get the powertrain together, need to order the Minifan then I can make a start, along with all the other models I'm trying to finish off 100%!!

I was also at long marston show and ali's were selling the pz habu bnf version for 135 pounds! I was gutted as i had bought the same off of ebay 3 days earlier for £238. I ended up buying the habu 32 from the show after seeing ali junior flying his....not that i will ever be able to replicate what he did with it. And thanx to ali senior for letting me use paypal from my phone at the show to pay for the kit, as i had already spent up by then...true gent