The joy of slope

Marty and myself just a couple of "challenging" hours up the big rock. Marty had hoped to maiden his new Fusion ( which looks very good ) but decided that in light of the strong wind, discretion was indeed the better part of valor.
I took a couple of readings on the anemometer, and it peaked at 72MPH right on the edge.
We woosed out - partly due to being pretty well unable to stand on the top - and decided to use the lower shelf, where it was "only" a girly 60 MPH.
I think it was the strongest he has flown in , and the 46" un-ballasted wildhings flew pretty well considering the conditions.
Landings were, errrm interesting .

Advert

Well as Tim says ... errrrm interesting, I had attempted to fly in 58 mph earlier in the year but flatpacked the wild thing on re-entry ....... This time the wildthing lives to fly another day YESSSSSSSSSS lol
The Wildthing flew unballasted quite well, but with loadsa down trim, a gentle hand on the sticks to push out through the turbulence at the edge but then the lift was fantastic. I think people new to slope soaring in strong wind should be aware that presenting too much surface area to the wind results in very quick results lol
I must admit, I'm feeling a little smug even though I did have a wander to find the WT after discovering that if you present too much area to the wind things happen very fast!

Edited By Tim Mackey on 06/09/2011 17:58:05

Hi Tim, Marty, the pooch persuaded me to take him for walkies this afternoon, funny I had the Zagi in the boot .

I must have just missed u I was up around 1730.

I had a quick launch which soon turned into a marathon retrieval way past mine and Ian's personal LZ, so I though like you, maybe later in the week when its slows down a bit .
Thursday and Sat morning looking a possibility at moment.

Marty, sounds like the WT has it's new fuz in place, my WT has definitely got damaged servos , I think the Bank holiday outing finished one of them off at least , so awaiting some fresh servos and a few more rolls of my favourite cw tape.
Catch up later guys

Day off tomorrow,15 - 25 mph WSW's ,guess what I'll be flying............... it begins with Z ?
Yep, my Zagi, just hope the rain keeps off, fingers crossed

Just stated biding on a RicoShe EEP sloper,something for when i,ve gained some experience.

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 06/09/2011 23:05:11

Well, I've takenthe plunge. Quite a few flyers at my club have started flying gliders piggy backed to height launched from a fellow members DLE20 powered Telemaster.
Realising my little electric glider (Overlander Cherub) was rather small, I decided to buy a Carl Goldberg/Great Planes 2M Sophisticated Lady (2ch) and restart gliding as a gentle break from ripping the sky apart with large aerobatic jobs.

As the Oklahoma winds are about the impact normal powered flying (20-70mph winds). I'm now looking for a decent site for some slope soaring to pactice my skills before returning to wonderful sites on my doorstep back home in Wiltshire.

Don't worry, I won't even leave the house if its that windy!

I should be OK without a foam glider; normally fly a 75/91 sized Decathlon (91 FS) or GP 70" Revolver (75 2S) or large petrol Edge 540 through B/C cert aerobatic routines, so should be OK on a 2ch glider.

I reckon your right though about high winds; like my previous flurry into large EDF, I sense if I like those gliding lark it will become expensive and occasionally sideline my normal aerobatic powered stuff - I admit, I get hooked fairly easily.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 07/09/2011 04:34:01

I managed to get some Zagi time this morning.
I was up Eglwisilan Common (South Wales)by 9 this morning to be greeted by a quick rain shower and I'd guess 30 mph wind.
When the rain stopped I had a 10 min flight before another shower arrived, again short lived. I then made the most of the break in the weather and had a solid hour on the sticks before a serious cloud decided to empty it's contents on my head. That was the end of today's flying.

This was my first solo venture without my mentor and good friend Steve Houghton 1 and I was a bit nervous to say the least, but all went well.
First flight I found it difficult to make any head way so I added a little weight to the nose which improved things considerably.
I've just sold one of my i.c models and Mrs Big Phil said I can buy another boy's toy, so, after seeing Steve with his WT and watching his Orme combat video I have decidedthat I will give SAS a ring and order one.
Hopefully I will have even more fun with it than my Zagi

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 07/09/2011 13:16:44

Edited By Big Phil on 07/09/2011 13:17:51

Nice one Phil I'm so glad it went well for you. I can see you spending more of your days off on the slope rather than the flat field, and 'll be there to join you when your shifts allow.

I'm keeping an eye on Sundays weather, which is saying showers for the morning at the moment. That being the case, we could be in for a good afternoon session somewhere, hopefully the Bwlch, so we can get both wings in the air at the same time and I can hopefully maiden the Nanna.

Well Big Phil, I guess you are well and trully on the slippery slope (pardon the pun), Gets adictive don't it? I'm not sure if I should thank or curse Tim for introduing me to the slope.
I'm making the best of the wet weather we have up here in N. Wales, I've been putting off building the U2 Dragon Lady I bought from LEG because of lack of instructions. Jack from LEG dosn't supply instructions, he says "There are loadsa build threads out there", Hmmm, Well if there are I can't find them for the LEG U2! I am going to make one mod and that is to incorporate I weak link (breakaway) for the wings. The Orme is a very unforgiving venue if you get the landing aproach wrong! (which is the normal course of events for me ).

Edited By Marty Ball on 07/09/2011 14:00:08

Posted by Big Phil on 06/09/2011 23:01:15:
Just stated biding on a RicoShe EEP sloper,something for when i,ve gained some experience.

There's a load of people watching my RicoShe and it's still got 4 days to go..................
Will be interesting to see how much it goes for.
It's been a good solid plane with no vices, apart from it liking a really good blow .

Edited By Tim Mackey on 07/09/2011 18:07:11

Posted by Marty Ball on 07/09/2011 13:59:07:
Well Big Phil, I guess you are well and trully on the slippery slope (pardon the pun), Gets adictive don't it? I'm not sure if I should thank or curse Tim for introduing me to the slope.
I'm making the best of the wet weather we have up here in N. Wales, I've been putting off building the U2 Dragon Lady I bought from LEG because of lack of instructions. Jack from LEG dosn't supply instructions, he says "There are loadsa build threads out there", Hmmm, Well if there are I can't find them for the LEG U2! I am going to make one mod and that is to incorporate I weak link (breakaway) for the wings. The Orme is a very unforgiving venue if you get the landing aproach wrong! (which is the normal course of events for me ).
Edited By Marty Ball on 07/09/2011 14:00:08
pm me you email addy and I'll send you a PDF file of the build instruction for a 60 EPP U2 from tuff planes very similiar builds. anyway its here if you want it

The kids were back in school today so we went up the Orme for an hour or two this afternoon. We had a few chevrons and 2 Weasels, at the edge it must have been at least 60 the little uns were having trouble standing and the gusts would suck the air out of your lungs, the decision was made to head nearer sea level and fly the sand dunes. Had some good fun chasing each other up and down the dune with some seagulls joining in the fun. We had to call a stop after 30 minutes or so as the sand was blowing in our eyes and lungs, all in all a fun afternoon and a good start to the term.

Jon

I'm going to order my W.T later today ( I understand it's best to ring in the evening )
I've just ordered a battery pack and a couple of servo's.
Its my long weekend off end of next week, so the plan is to have it ready for maiden up the Bwlch with Steve H'.
Will the WT be better than my Zagi in a higher wind

Phil

Wild Thing 46 ordered, should be with me early next week ....cool

Alan appears to be a cracking guy to do business with

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 08/09/2011 19:36:10

I ordered a replacement Wildthing Fus and a fusion from alan last wednesday evening and it arrived Friday morning, Can't knock that for service!
Big Phil, You will love the Wildthing, I was advised by Tim to get one, even though I was a complete novice at the time and although the first instalation flight was made on low rates I went to high rates almost immidiately with no real problems. It's predictable and the stall is gentle. When it does stall just hold your nerve and control is regained very quickly. The only thing I would change is the plastic clevises for metal ones, mine got damaged on a rough arrival and I didn't realise it as they "Looked" ok but the handling became erratic and it was these pesky plastic clevises that were damaged. Other than that, all I can say is "Wild Thing, I think I love you!" lol

Just got in from a sesh up the Orme, Never known such fickle conditions, blowing hard one minute then 90 degree wind changes then light wind and then picking up .... really strange.
Unfortunately I have to report the demise of my SAS Schitzo! I made a mistake and asked a friend if he would like a go and then encouraged him to try a roll, I think things happened a little quick and loss of orientation combined with a quicker model than he was used to ended in disaster for the model but apart from a torn off servo plug the radio gear and battey are fine.
Oh well, room for one more now lol.
Tim told me ages ago the "Slope" stands for Smashed, Lost Or Pulverised Eventually!

Edited By Marty Ball on 09/09/2011 20:10:15

Yes Steve it will be a good crack
Looking forward to start on the WT, although still pondering on colour scheme.
Still thinking of the 2 I mentioned to you, but like the Welsh theme you suggested.
I ordered a couple of servos from BRC at 1pm yesterday,on my door step this morning.Now that's good service, again.

Sorry to hear about you model Marty 

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 09/09/2011 20:39:19