Seagull Turbo Raven

Hello, First post for me. I lost my Raven on the maiden flight to unknown problems, however Taxiing was not a problem for me at 125mm CG From LE.

This is beacause I ordered Custom gear from TNT Landing Gear that was 1 1/2" longer than stock giving the Raven a more scale look as well as moving the axles forward which I believe is the key.

Les

BTW, The setup I used on my late  Raven was a Hacker B50-9XL with a Hacker/Jeti 77 opto Esc, a 6v 2200 NiMh in the tail  providing power to the servo with a Zippy Compact 6S 3700mah LiPo providing power to the motor.

Up front I had a 16x10 APC Electric Prop.

This setp gave me 1120 watts at 48 Amps. Not Bad.....for a rocket ship!

All up weight was about 8.25 lbs. My CG was at 125mm

I use Futaba FAAST gear.

My maiden lasted 25 seconds. I took off at 1/2 power, made a gentle turn down wind, flew it up the field then began a gentle sweeping turn back towards the landing strip.

Thats when It simply continued rolling and spiraled in to it's demise.

I had enough altitude for it to make 3 spirals before dissappearing into the jungle like canopy. My TX stick movements made no difference to the models behaviour.

I was unable to find the ship and after 3 different attempts I have given up on finding it until Autumn.

Edited By Les Haley on 26/06/2012 20:50:13

Edited By Les Haley on 26/06/2012 20:51:29

Yeah i hold full up elevator to taxi but it still wants to dig its prop into the grass. Therefore i have to push it out to the runway, which for such a good looking plane, is not a good look!

Take off roll, i have to feed the power in really slow all the way up to full power to avoid tipping. Once in the air its great.

The stalling i was referring to David was not connected with slow flight then whacking in full up elevator. Hard to explain really, say your flying along good speed straight and level, then feed in full up elevator to perform a loop..the plane simply snap rolls at the top of the loop. Its not always the same direction it snaps. This is leading me to think that its stalling a tip. It will loop fine if you do a wide loop. Presumably with a harsh elevator input its bleeding off too much speed in the loop.

Hope that makes sense???

Im running an Irvine 53, 11x7 prop my cog is set to 135mm aft of LE. I feel it needs a bigger engine in it so might squeeze in a 61

• 9 months later...

Hello From Ontario Canada.

I am just assembling my new turbo raven. by seagull models. I am putting the new evolution 10cc gas engine in. Will be using a custom muffler by bisson mufflers here in canada. It is an upright muffler, with some modification to put the exhust pipe in the rear. It will fit inside the cowl and will exhaust out of the inderside rear opening of the plane. I believe that this plane will fly like a warbird. My weight so far seems to be at 6lbs, 10 oz with 2300mah life battery.I

I will let you know how things go with this set-up.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
it is a nice flying model apart of that problem.Posted by Andrew Pirie on 27/06/2012 11:07:59

Take off roll, i have to feed the power in really slow all the way up to full power to avoid tipping. Once in the air its great.

The stalling i was referring to David was not connected with slow flight then whacking in full up elevator. Hard to explain really, say your flying along good speed straight and level, then feed in full up elevator to perform a loop..the plane simply snap rolls at the top of the loop. Its not always the same direction it snaps. This is leading me to think that its stalling a tip. It will loop fine if you do a wide loop. Presumably with a harsh elevator input its bleeding off too much speed in the loop.

Hope that makes sense???

Hello guys, I am having the exactly same problem with my Raven, it tip stall at the top of the loop, also she is dropping the left wingway before slow down, never saw a plane do that before, anyone had the same problem and have sorted out?

• 1 year later...

Hi Bill, even without the manual, the C of G of many ARTF

Is On or very near the wing tube.

The wing tube is usually built at the thickest part of the airfoil in

the middle of the aeroplane where strength is needed

You have the manual which states 145 mm from Leading edge

On the wing tube line

Which is a really good starting point for C of G

Edited By Denis Watkins on 24/01/2020 05:50:24

Hi Dennis,

Yes, the "spar" or wing tube is usually a good place to look at, for the CG point, however with the long nose of this Raven, flyers are relating disasters with 145mm back from LE resulting in a tail heavy model.

Reviewer David Ashby uses 135mm...others go for 125mm for the maiden, and some go all the way to 110 mm from leading edge.

Apparently this situation is somewhat common with this manufacturer, and has occurred with other models they have released.

On another note, Seagull (the factory), had also stated this model would require a 4S lipo pack and fly with a 10/7 prop. Since the model is weighing in at 8.5 pounds, flyers are going with either 5S or 6S packs along with either 14" or 15" props and a nice round 1000 watt power system to properly fly this model.

Bill

Seagull Turbo Raven

Wing span -------------------------59.8in (152cm).

Wing area --------------592.1sq.in (38.2sq dm).

Weight --------------------6.4 -7.1lbs (2.9-3.2kg).

Length ------------------------------51.2in (130cm).

Engine -------------.46 - .55 cu.in -----2-stroke.

.52 - .72cu.in -----4-stroke.

Radio ----------------- 4 channels with 5 servos

Help, in general

Most 5 foot span ARTF come out around 7lb AUW, and trainer style around 6lb

How have we got to 8.5lb on this 5 foot span beautiful airframe?

Edited By Denis Watkins on 24/01/2020 14:31:34