Mode 1 or Mode2

Advert

For you youngsters: pre proportional radios were tuned reed sets. The key switches were laid out to the right and left of the Tx. If you had a posh set you could use any left key with any right, (called dual simultaneous) but only any two at a time. Elevator and elevator trim were on the left. Aileron and rudder were on the right along with throttle if my feeble memory serves me correctly. To spin, or use elevator with aileron you needed one right and one left key, which is very nearly mode 1. Our American cousins, when going proportional, preferred very often a `cuddle box` which had a central stick for ail/ele fitted with a rotary knob for rudder, the throttle being operated by a side mounted slider control with the left hand which `cuddled` the Tx. Since most gear is directed at the US market, ail/ele on one stick caught on. Modes 3&4 are merely left handed versions of modes 1&2. Since most gear now comes into this country in the US configuration it is not therefore surprising that the current competition winners use it. Does not necessarily mean that it is better though.

I firstly must admit that this is a debate that can go round with circles. It is funny because I had the same argument with some one else a few weeks ago (my dad) when I brought a Twister V2 CP. I Fly in Birmingham and everybody flies mode 1. the reason is because "it puts your primary controls on two separate sticks i.e. aileron and elevator" I have only been flying for just over a year now and flown mode 1 but when i got the helicopter it was on mode 2 so that is how i started flying it but is was hell of a lot easier to fly (I think anyway).

I have heard millions of arguments on this subject.

control sticks don't work well in a diagonal motion ? - Don't ASK!

Made to feel like flying a proper plane.

separate primary controls.

these are just some.

I suppose we could always throw mode 3 and 4 in to confuse and cause greater debate. (flown mode 3 as well)

Stephen (by the way I fly whatever just as long as I can fly )