Six Different Quick Build Fun Planes

Advert

cheeky Thank you for starting this thread Tom, you have certainly inspired a lot of people,

At our club we are all building light laggers for bonfire night, as we are having a big bbq and bonfire etc, so hopefully they will light up the sky in fashion.

I have given my plane red on the left and blue on the right (Should have been green) and green top ..........so hopefully this will help with orientation. I may put white underneath so i can see the ground when I'm landing enlightened

Thanks again.

Roy

Hi Tom, its a Dart now, 2 questions, 1, if flown in a conserving fashion (read slower) can I use same power set up as standared pipe lagger. 2, is the slot for the wing in the fus. cut around 6 mm to accept the wing or is it cut into 2 halves. Cheers FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 09/10/2012 21:42:50

Hi FB3

Yes same motor esc set will fly the model nice and sedately ,mine still has the original hk donkey which gives 100 watts ,on a good day lol,so any small motor that will produce 90-120 watts will do .If you fit the u/c then chose a motor with a kv of around 1400 to get the prop ground clearance.

The lagging is cut in half and simply glued to each side of the wing centre line top and bottom ,don't forget cut outs for hatches .You will find it necessary to cut a well in the wing (under hatches) to get enough room to house the rx etc .

Do let us know how the build progresses.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, only have one sheet of Depron 6mm left of my original buy, so I had better get it right first time LoL. I think the tractor type model will also be safer to launch than a pusher (for me anyway), and probably easier to sort out the CoG. Thanks Tom. Perhaps a picture will suffice of completed model.

Posted by fly boy3 on 14/10/2012 12:56:27:

Hi all, in process of building one of Tom Wright's PL Darts. Only due to the fact I have no Fut. extension and y leads in my stock, I wondered if this model would lend itself to elevons. Just a thought. Cheers.

Don't see why not FB3 but keep in mind that this would effectively double the roll and pitch control surface areas.This may make the model twitchy but not necessarily depending on throws .

Well worth a try though ,it could result in a better system and save two servos and leadssmile.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, have decided to go with elevons. As this is my 1st delta I have done some reading. Looking at a delta called Pibros, very similar to the Dart, and with elevons. Suggested throws, elevon reflex-4-5 degrees positive. Ailerons +/- 20 degrees, - Elevators.+/- 10 degrees. Exponential 60 -70 %. Would you agree this may be a good starting point Tom. ? Cheers.

Hi FB3

Would I be correct in assuming the first question refers to the control surface hinges ? If so I guess the scrim could be used although I have not tried it .

Maybe a test with some scrap depron would be worth while and try various materials .My Dart still has the original blenderm tape hinge ,or a cotton handkerchief cut in to strips and attached under over (just like we used to do years ago) UHU por can give good results for attaching the hinge material.

Standard cyno hinges also work well attached to the upper or lower surfaces ,but again use UHU por as cyno will eat the depron.

A free hinge is desirable particularly if the 4.5 gm servos are used.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 17/10/2012 02:14:06

Sorry Tom, should have mentioned It was for the hinges. I have managed to scrounge some Blenderm tape from a club mate. I normally pick up odds and sods at a show, but as you know most of the shows were cancelled this year. The old handkerchief trick was a blast from the past Tom. We used to use bandage. Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

As a newbie to RC flying I am building a pipe lagger with a pusher prop as I keep snapping props when I land nose down!. Any thoughts as to whether C of G rules are different for a pusher and also should the motor shaft be level or inclined up or down?

• 3 weeks later...

Bozzle.

Sorry I missed your post .

A pusher motor would normally be mounted with around 5 degrees of up thrust ( motor shaft inclined up) This is required because the thrust line is behind the cog .

An incorrect thrust line may be the reason your model is nosing in , but if the power is cut before ground contact ,a flexible prop should normally survive .

If as you suggest you are new to rc planes then the tractor version would have been a better bet ,but if you have no previous flying experience I would strongly suggest joining a club or after obtaining BMFA insurance seek help from an experienced pilot.

Check the video above ....Gaz demonstrates how minimum power is used to fly the model nice and slow , beginners often just let go at full throttle which gives little chance to gain control before it all goes wrong! 

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 02/01/2013 23:44:14