Fixing Ripped EPP Hinges

Scruffmeister

Hi Guys -

The EPP aileron on my Yak-55 (RC Factory) is starting to rip away from the wing. So far it's about 1/3 of the way down the wing. What is the best way to fix this in-situ on the model, I was thinking surgical tape but would love any advice anyone has?

Thanks!

Advert

Hello

Best solution I have found it to use 3M Benderm surgical tape - used to use Sellotape Diamond Tape but no longer in production.

A strip top and bottom works a treat on the EPP flying wings I fly.

James

You could use either diamond tape, or perhaps blenderm tape, or, as many EPPP live hinging is done - hot glue. Run a bead of glue along the hinge line, and then, with a wet finger, "flatten" it down to thin it out in the gap. I have also used crossweave F/G reinforcing tape which works well.

What is different about Diamond Tape, compared to ordinary Cellotape?

I guess the question revolves around, what is it that modellers want from a hinging tape?

I use Scotch Magic Mending Tape, because I have a few rolls and I find it is fine. But I am willing to be convinced that better products are around.

If you fly for a short period like me, UV degregation is probably not an issue.

I am not saying it is not an issue. Just not for me.

I would not particularly recommend Magic tape, as it lasts about 2-4 years then probably needs replacing. Regular inspection, does reveal any developing issue.

I must explain that I use it in conjunction with double sided tape, as "Z" as used on control line models of yore. the Magic tape caping the top. So not quite the same