New Starter

Martin Whitehead

Advert

Hello Martin

Clubs No - Helis yes - However you refer to petrol - If you are a complete novice and never  flown before - I suspect you probably mean Nitro - However there are petrol helis available - big and exspensive normally

Firstly I would need to know at what level you are you  help - Have you  had any RC flying experience?-  If you have any radio gear? - Your budget etc?

Regards Al

Hi Martin

Re starting in this hobby is basically the cost. Its the initial outlay ie. the model- the Radio gear- the extras to maintain and run the machine.  Once you have the basics everybody then seems to move on once you've got the the bug!  the next model ie bigger better etc

Ref Davids comment posted above - Graham is starting a beginners Heli series

However my advice would be dont jump in feet first - do your research - it will save you time and money and less heartbreak.  Setting up helicopters properly is not easy for the novice.

To me flying helis is a bit like learning to ride a bike. you have to practice and practice and eventually you can do it and it becomes second nature.

Looking back concerning my own experience in heli flying I would personally recommend the following as a novice

Get yourself a good computer simulator and get a feel for heli flying (there are     plenty of examples discussed on this forum)

Join a club if you can - if not - find somebody who flys helis who can help you

Invest in a day out at a flying school and get hands on experience on a ic (nitro) heli

With regards to your first question in what to look out for - as you want to start in ic and not electric - in todays market (and I will be shot down for this) to go up to date and keep everything all round ie to fly one model as a good all rounder and as a start I would recommend the following

A good 2.4 ghz Radio set for Helis and planes  ( I personally use a Spectrum DX 7)

A 50 size helicopter - My choice - The Thunder Tiger Raptor TITAN 50 - When set up correctly and for the money (there are good deals to be had at the moment including engine) it is a high quality machine - Smooth - stable for the beginner and it will take you all the way through to 3D if you so desire - In my opinion this is the best one in my stable - it is a joy to fly (my mate has a Raptor 30 and a 600 and after he flew it he was green with envy!)

Best wishes  Al