Warbird Replicas Spitfire/Mustang?

The Stig

Hi there, im currently looking at purchasing one of these as my first warbird (and first plane after my trainer in fact)
My main concern is the fact i havent built anything before, i would say im a competent person being a boiler engineer and i have a basic understanding of woodwork etc, and ive been flying with an instructor for the last 4 months so have grabbed the jist of the parts of the plane (i have my A test end of the month hopefully) i also have a small shed with a workbench at my disposal as well. but im still unsure if this would be an ideal kit for me, ive downloaded the instrustions and they dont look too hard but theres a few bits which i totally dont understand.
Im also a bit unsure about the covering situation having also never covered a model before, i understand you have to use an iron and brown paper with pva but i think this would be the bit that i would bugger up lol
Another concern is the undercarriage, being a spitfire it has a narrow undercarriage, i read somewhere that its a good idea for your first warbird to have a wide undercarriage (also the fact my strip isnt the flattest in the world) What are your views on this? with that in mind maybe it would be better to go for the mustang maybe? Or maybe even a different model altogether?! i did see a rather tasty ARTF seafire at the last show i was at!
Any advice greatly appreciated

Advert

I dont want to sound negative but do you think a warbird is the best choice for a second model? My limited experience has proven beyond doubt that I`m not ready for one and I passed my A last year. Any scale like model would be a lot harder to fly than your trainer. I would go for a low wing trainer like a travel air for my second plane. Which I did after difficulties with a semi scale Citabria. Its not the flying so much as the taking off and landing. The degree of control requires much more finess with scale models and I`d hate to read of the demise of your lovingly built warbird because you over stretched yourself.

Thanks for replying hogster, totally understand what you're saying, but, I was hoping for an answer more from a building point of view. I am planning on getting a low wing trainer once I've passed my A test, but the build will be happening while I'm still learning and will (I'm guessing) take at least 3 months to complete. My instructor and the guys at the field seem to be impressed at how I've progressed in a short period of time so by the time it's built I'm hoping I may be able to tame a warbird

Of the 2 i would have to say you'd be better off with the P51, as the groundhandling will be easier than with a spit, as the under carriage is much wider. That said they're still tricky beasts to take off and land thanks to the long nose. As for flying the mustang will probably be slightly easier to handle as it'll be less prone to tip stalling. The best people to speak to would be the folks at your club, as they know what your flyings like. As for covering, i've never used brown paper, so can't comment, but why not just use iron on film, which is pretty simple to do with an iron and a heat gun.

Get across to

www. gary132.co.uk

And have a look there. He's done a few step by step builds of these kits, with the latest (LA7) being on video

Dear mods, I am using my iPhone and can't embed a link properly, sorry. Forgive me.

Edited By Shaun Chant on 05/07/2011 20:39:14

I think Stefan's advice is sound, the P51 will be the easier of the two both on the ground and in the air. I would consider getting a lot of stick hours on different models though before tackling either - warbirds need precise flying because you need to keep the speed up at all times. I've seen too many inexperienced flyers come seriously unstuck with a warbird. Its very sad when ever it happens but if you have built it yourself and invested all that time and love in it - then its 10 times worse.

I would suggest the low wing trainer you have mentioned but also that you get some experience with a lower cost (emotionally at least) ARTF warbird beforehand so you have a good idea what to expect!

BEB

Thanks for the advice guys, will be looking into all the options, maybe a artf is the way to go before i build one to get a feel for a warbird before i actually build one, will have a chat to the guys at the field and get myself signed up to gary132,com