Sloping Off

Advert

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 15/08/2011 21:44:47:
Ian

I haven't bothered trying to secure the access hatch on my WT and haven't had a problem with it opening at all, and I made a hole in the side of the fus, under the wing for the on/off switch, another arrangement which has worked well without problems.

Hoping you'll be at the Orme over the bank holiday, it would be good to get both our birds up at the same time.

Btw, why didn't you just feed the antenna through the channel used for the servo cables and let it trail inside the fus towards the rear?
Hi Steve,
You may have had a look at the online version of the Fusion instructions which I'm sure would lead you to ask as those questions. The text is pretty much the same as the wildthing and the graphics only slightly different. However The current Fusion is different from the graphic shown in the online instructions.

In my Fusion the hatch is underneath so can easily fall open if not secured in some way. The on/off switch in my instructions is shown as below the left servo which due to the movement of the servo arm being so close to the wires for the switch is not really practical. It would also involve cutting into the re-inforcing wooden (ply?) sheets which I wasn't keen on either. However the Hitec Minima Rx is tiny and so there's loads of space in the Rx bay, right next to the battery, easy to maintain in there and impossible to accidentally switch off when launching.

Okay I could have left it flopping about in there all connected up & pretty safe but doing it the way I have means my "module" holds the battery in place yet if the battery has to come out it's no problem. It also contributes to padding the Rx and keeping it in place so there's another benefit there. So sinking the switch, into it the EPP block which I now call a "module" was really a fairly obvious thing to do.

The Rx I've used is adual antenna 2.4ghz type and therefore the antennas must remain correctly orientated at all times and not too close to any metal parts like push rods, other wires & the battery. That made the choice of where to put them fairly limiting. Again it might not look like it at first glance but actually this was the easy option.

The Great Orme, oh yes I hope to see you there. After all I've purposely made my Fusion slightly different so we won't get mixed up . Nothings certain yet, my wife's birthday on the 28th will have to be catered for in some way. I think she would love a day out on the Great Orme though.

Cheers, Ian

The switch shown above is as per plan but it just wasn't practical so I put it somewhere more convenient.

Posted by Dorset flyer on 15/08/2011 23:50:15:
Another very nice looking model Ian DON'T GO AND LEAVE THIS ONE BEHIND!!!!
I won't...
... and if I did I'd be too ashamed to tell anyone!
Posted by stephen wenban on 15/08/2011 23:42:07:
nice clean build again though Ian

Ta very much

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 16/08/2011 13:28:08:
Well I couldnt find a finger icon
Is this what you were looking for Tim?

Darren prepares to launch my Fusion and appears to be wanting to get some kind of a message over or is he just checking the wind direction?

Actually it was very windy and great fun was had by all. I'll post more photos from the Fusions maiden flight day at the Gt Orme 19/08/11 as soon as I've has some sleep!

Edited By Ian Jones on 20/08/2011 01:09:38

Lol - yes, it was a good un eh - 50+MPH at the edge, despite the forecast of 15
That Fusion is a little belter - flew "straight off the board" and performs really well.
Nice one Ian - the zagi is dead, long live the fusion eh? .

Here's Darren, mistaking the photo-shoot for the set of playboy magazine

And "Rocket" Ron Cooper looking miffed that I wouldnt rise to his new found celebrity status and pay him a fee for his picture.

Good photo's Tim and yes, long live the SAS Fusion - as long I can dodge the attacks . Actually Tim, weren't you trying? You didn't get me once , okay so you forced me down but that's not the same thing is it? Oh! I'm asking for trouble now.

Right, as Tim said it flew "straight off the board". It went something like this.

We prepared for the first launch with Tim taking the Fusion down the slope a few feet and whilst I hadn't actually got shakey fingers on the sticks (we all know what that's like don't we ) I was wondering what was going to happen once the fusion left the safety of Tim's grip, which needed to be pretty good as it was already quiet windy. "The zagi had ballooned upwards and behind us before I could even react to it", will this do the same I thought? So I thought a little squeeze of down elevator was called for, but how much - then Tim looked at me expecting the nod to launch so I shouted okay and he did it, he heaved it out and let go .

I'd watched the fusion carefully as soon as he started to heave it forwards, it was a good launch with the wings level so no work for me there and the little touch of down elevator I had applied made it sink gently so I eased off it a little. Then, suddenly an immense feeling of calm came over me - the fusion was flying straight and level out towards the Menai Straits, fantastic .

When Tim came over and joined me we tried it hands off and it climbed a lot so we spent a few moments trimming it and then Tim must have felt tired because he went for a sit down.

I could write a book about the day there's so much to report, the flying, the banter, the combat, oh yes they're coaxing me into that, well more sort of fight or get bashed really. So how to sum it up

Well I can't, if you want to know then you will have to try it for yourself and if you want an aeroplane to start off with then the Wildthing is hugely popoular with novices and experts alike. The Fusion is similar and though it's intended to be a bit quicker it's not hard to fly and is pretty agile with it. I just know someone is going to want to know more and where to get one and if you are that somoneone then click here. These aeroplanes are so .

So, photo call time.

Tim took the sticks on the second flight and I took took to the camera:

The 2nd flight ended, erm, a short distance away and the fusion was retreived by Darren:

I could joke at Tim's expense but since I definitely made the record books with my faraway landing later I'd better not .

So Darren went for for the next launch since he had hold of the aircraft anyway:

more...

Edited By Ian Jones on 20/08/2011 17:20:29

Edited By Ian Jones on 20/08/2011 17:21:59

...Continued

It wasn't that easy to keep a grip of it though, by this time the wind just there was 55 mph!

We got there in the end though:

How windy does that feel, well:

I thought I'd have a go at waving it about a bit whilst Richard took over on the camera:
Thankkfully no photo's of the result . My shoulders don't move well as a result of having been frozen some years ago and I also have MS which affects my ability to hold my arms up but I can launch right handed and we have a cunning plan so I will get there.

So there I was soaring happily, when along came Tim's Wildthing:

and the battle for the Orme commenced:

That was great fun and really sharpens up the reactions a bit!

Eventually a broke away and had I quiter moment further out:

And that's it. I was hooked from the firat day out, now yup, addicted. Over a pint later I found myself telling Tim about how I might build this or that, or I could hold of a part finished other. Dear, dear, I think I've got it bad already .

Edited By Ian Jones on 20/08/2011 17:13:55

Am I correct in thinking that you enjoyed it Ian

I agree with you DF, after only 2 outings with my zagi, first in 10mph wind, second in 35 plus,  i'm hooked 
Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 20/08/2011 17:23:59

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 21/08/2011 00:04:43:
Nice one Ian, looks like you had a cracking time. I hope you're going to be about next weekend

Any chance you could do the Sunday rather than Saturday Steve...a good flying buddy wants to join us ( Iawnski ) but is working the sat.

Posted by Devon Flyer on 20/08/2011 17:19:39:
Spread the word Ian.
There are so many people out there who wither at the very mention of a slope.
They don't know what they are missing!

Too Right - I wonder how many people have taken to the slopes as a result of this forum & in particular The Joy of Slope thread?
At some point it could make an interesting poll.

Posted by Big Phil on 20/08/2011 17:22:18:
Snip
"Am I correct in thinking that you enjoyed it Ian "

Well it was alright .

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 20/08/2011 17:27:19:
Great write up Ian - and again, very well done on all counts.
I should add in my defence that I fly mode 1, so handling someone elses brand new model, in 50MPH winds on mode 2 doesnt always produce the tidiest of flights or landings
Thanks Tim. I said this would be a blow by blow account and its been that in a number of ways but here we are happy as Larry (I wonder that means?) and it's certainly been an eye opener to whole new world .

Mode 1, Oh that's why ! . Well in my defence, erm, well, ooh , we all have to start somewhere. Actually that long walk after my sort of landing effort didn't turn out to be as far as I first thought. Just twice as far anyone would want to walk . I did get my 2nd to last landing in the LZ though . Again thanks for your help.

And finally...

Not so much a video as a slide show but there's a few extra images in there and hopefully a giggle or two too

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/08/2011 00:18:05

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/08/2011 00:40:56

Posted by Dorset flyer on 20/08/2011 23:50:01:
Good job Ian glad it went so well mate, although at 55mph i would have given it a miss as i'm a delicate flower!
Nah! you would have lapped it up . Apparentley anything under 60 is fine! (I just made that up ).

Someone flew a chevron wing though, Darren I'm almost certain it was and he had enough coinfidence in it to have a go at Tim's Wildthing .

Having only sloped on two days and non of it below 25 mph then actually I am in the reverse situation - what if there isn't enough wind . The thing is, if it's blowing hard and it all goes wrong then the aircraft usually ends up somewhere behind you, with only a little bit of luck you actually get to see where it went. With a lack of lift where would it end up - down below the slope and out of sight somewhere?. So there's the long walk looking for it and the long walk back up the slope, 'eck that could do a bloke in .

No but yes, but more seriously it wasn't that hard, the biggest problem being launching it through the turbulance into the lift then once it's out there it's fine .

It comes back in a bit quick though, did I mention landing? No problem it's usually down before you can attempt that anyway .

Hehe, it's fun, it really is .
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 21/08/2011 00:04:43:
Nice one Ian, looks like you had a cracking time. I hope you're going to be about next weekend
It Seems we are aiming at BH Sunday then and yes I'm planning on being there. Hmm, looks like I'd better paint the front door or something!

Tim Mackey - Administrator21/08/2011 11:14:33

Ah, so now we know, down to our commonwealth friends is it? P'r'aps I should have stayed nearer home, eeh, appen I more rightly should've said "as 'appy as pig in muck"?

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/08/2011 21:18:19