ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX

Hugh Coleman

Advert

I was considering getting one of these (shock horror-electric and ARTF!) so I could nip down for some quick flights. This plane looks fantastic, a lovely looking aeroplane, but it confuses me.indecision

As a builder, from the outside I am not so keen, but BEB is a builder, and he loves his.

From the reviews (and your excellent and concise review BEB), this plane sounds more like a sport hack than a Spit, but if I wanted a pretty small, electric, foam, strong but brilliant flight performance, I'd get the Foam-e Wot 4 (or the acro Wot) because or Wotty is strong (near vertical dive into the ground = creased sticker), flies superbly in every sense and is very good in strong winds, and I'm sure the Acro Wot is the same.

But if I wanted something scale, still small to be pratical, a Spitfire, I would not get this, I'd get a Funfighter! Not too complicated or tricky build, that you would learn a lot from, can be electric or IC (I'm determined to put a 30 four stroke on one at some point!), retracts if you wish, and you can build it to what scale degree that you want (and any colour scheme) and in the air, they fly well and they are superb fun! And being wood, it will most likely be quite a bit more durable.

So where does this PZ Spit fit in? Am I biting the wrong end of the stick?

CS

PS Oh and 800 posts!

Best of British!

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 31/08/2012 09:33:10

My view CSB is that you should have a bit of everything in your hangar - that way you maximise your flying time!

yes, I like to build. But if I only flew models I had built then I'd probably quarter my actual airtime! So I have a couple of ARTF's - they go together quick and the look good. Very convienient.

I also have a couple of foamies - the Spit and a PZ Extra. Now the great thing about these is they fit in the car boot with the parcel self in place - out of sight. So I can throw one in the car, a couple of batteries and a Tx and then if I get a chance I can get in a couple of flights on my way home from work!

So you see having a mix is very helpful.

The PZ Spit appeals to a different element in me than a straight sports hack. For me the Extra is a sports hack - flies very precisely, very aerobatic, you can chuck it around and it has lots of power. The Spit is about scale flying. It maybe a foamie but I feel to get the best out of it you need to fly it like a Spitfire - big turns, fast low passes, slow rolls etc. It looks good in the air, and has a lot of presence for a small foam aeroplane.

So, if I fancy a thrash around after work and some sports aeros I pack the PZ Extra into the car boot, but if the particular itch I need to stratch that day is scale, I take the Spitfire. And on longer summer's evenings and weekends I fly the bigger models.

Horses for courses!

BEB

Yeah, I get what you mean by having a chuck in the car plane. I have the Foam-E Wot 4 for chucking in the boot and off I go, serves that purpose very well, and flies brilliantly, and it is more forgiving and aerobatic than the Spit (you cannot stall the Wot- cannot!)

But for scale flying, for me a wooden warbird still flies a lot more scale than a Foamie (that foam B17 recently reviewed could PROP HANG!surprise That's just wrong!) as they track nicer, and cope better with turbulence. And also, you could electrify a Funfighter and have all the convenience of the PZ one, and more with it's better durability.

So I still don't see the space for it in my hangar. Then again, my chuck in the boot car will be the Domino, and that is a kit, IC and wood, I'm a confusing person!crook

CS

It all looks very nice, one's I've seen fly very well. However you ought to look at the Dynam Spitfire IX. I've had it for 6 months with nothing going wrong and after early reservations due to my own misunderstanding, it's excellent and the price including the very good worm drive retracts is most reasonable for a 47" decent scale model. Colours not quite right but for the price it's easy to re-paint accurately and fit a decent pilot. (Deagostini Spitfire pilot from Pete's Pilots is perfect), although I think the later ones might be better in this respect. Even comes complete with good radio tx and rx plus 3S 2200 Lipo in the price, although it's mode 2 so I've fitted my Spektrum Mode 1.Can't fault the flying characterisitcs, fully aerobatic with no vices. Could perhaps use a bit more power but it's not bad and it wouldn't be difficult to up-grade. However, I've decided to leave it alone, best electric foamy I've ever had and my son flies it all of the time. About £150 all in, it's well worth it. photos in my album if anyone wants to look at it.