ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX

Hugh Coleman

• 1 month later...
Advert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys i have ignored my club mates and just ordered a spitty devil I am looking to put the retracts into it but i am unsure if i need anything else to go with them, wire maybe?

Not sure when i will get the couraged to fly it but it seems a good way to own one without breaking the bank. Anyone have any "knowhow" on them ie expo and travel set ups?

Thanks for your input lads

Rusty

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/02/2012 18:00:01

Never been a big fan of foamy's. But when i saw one of these at our strip i just had to have one. Had maiden flight on sunday, and yes each landing ended up with a nose over (Grass strip). Biggest problem was on my first landing the right hand cannon caught a tuft of grass and flipped the Spit right on its back, no damage other than tearing the cannon and its mount right off. I won't be flying with them on in future unless i can make a rubber cannon!! But a fantastic flyer and the retracts work a treat and look fantastic when raising / lowering.

Someone - can't remember who sorry whoever it was! - came up with a good idea for the cannons. Cut the barrel off then re-attach it with a bit of black heat shrink tubing (don't get it too hot obviously!). Result, you can have your cannon barrel and in the event of a prang it just comes off without ripping the mount out! Good eh?

BEB

Well I saw one of these fly at the weekend and it was very impressive. I am not a big lover of foam, but I really must fly more and this may be a way for me to fly on the cricket pitch near home at lunctimes. Is it worth considering flying without undercarriage, hand launch and belly land or do you think the belly will suffer??

I can find the Spit and the retracts at a good price but can anybody recomend where I can get the pre bent wire leg option online??

Cheers

Danny

HI Danny,

there are rads under the wings - I wouldn't recommend belly landing it.

I got my pre-bent legs from Webbies (now that sounds good taken out of context smile o). So their probably worth a try.

Last year I had a little foamie PZ Extra that I kept in the back of the car. I reckon I got an extra 2-3 short sessions a week because of that - just a couple of flights on the way home from work on the lighter nights. It supplemented my standard flying (weekends and Wednesday evening) very well. So this year the Spit will be doing the same! It certainly helps you get more stick time smile

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/02/2012 22:31:56:

Someone - can't remember who sorry whoever it was! - came up with a good idea for the cannons. Cut the barrel off then re-attach it with a bit of black heat shrink tubing (don't get it too hot obviously!). Result, you can have your cannon barrel and in the event of a prang it just comes off without ripping the mount out! Good eh?

BEB

Excellent, then you can spend hours looking for them in the grass..............dont know

A "silly suggestion" for those who have to belly land, NOT done on this model but used with success on others.............use some thickish transparant sheet as skids to keep the actual belly and rads and guns off the deck, it's invisible 99% of the time in the air, light weight, and works a dream.

SO, has anyone actually repainted the canadian maple leaf emblem the right colour?

I would buy one but my Ripmax one (only roughly scale and even more wrongly coloured of course) is still going far too well and slides nicely to a stop on its belly.

Thanks guys, a Spit plus retracts has been ordered and should be winging its way to me. I found that most places stated in the blurb that the bent wire legs were also required but then they didn't stock them! That seems a bit silly to me.

I couldn't get everything from one place because nobody I could find, had all the bits.

Cheers

Danny

Danny

Did you manage to get the pre-bent legs? Be aware that they are not particularly well done - mine were different on each side - and so demand a bit of tweaking. That can be awkward as the wire is rather brittle.

If you're stuck, let me know, I have a spare set on the shelf.

When the pre-bents were not available I tried to make the described mod on the legs supplied with the model. Managed to rebend the first one, but the second one snapped, even though I was being very, very gentle with it.

You'll enjoy the model I'm sure, like I said, the landings are immense cool - pity about the taxiing though.

Edited By leccyflyer on 28/02/2012 10:12:50

Hi Leccy, I ordered the Spit and retracts from Kings Lynn models, great price, and the bent wires from SMC. I would have preffered to get it all from one place but nobody had it all so hence two sources.

I am dreading the box arriving, as i know my previous response to foam. I have bought them before and couldn't even bring myself to fit a couple of servos and a rx. I guess I am "foamist", and need therapy crying 2 They say recognizing you have a problem is the first step to recovery wink

Cheers

Danny

The model looks good from a few feet away, but when all is said and done, she's a foamie through and through. It's the flying characteristics, and especially those landings, that shine through though. An excellent model to chuck in the car for a quick fix.

No servos to fix, if you haven't gone for the bare airframe kit. It's a Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig box for such a small aeroplane too.

Ever the Samaritan Olly wink and so kind of you to step up to the plate LOL If I really cannot stand it then i will coerce Mr Bott into making it fit to fly in return for beer, I think I will enjoy it as long as i keep it at arms length cheeky It is what it is....

In a way it has saved me money because I have been staring at the new 1.7mtr CML foamy Mustang since it's launch, and this is much cheaper.

Cheers

Danny

Apparently the red maple leaf didn't come into being until after 1945. I found this on the website for the Canadian Naval Memorial

"Later in the Second World War someone painted a green maple leaf on a funnel to signify that his ship belonged to Canada. The practice spread and was at last authorized by Naval Headquarters and adopted by the whole fleet. Naval Headquarters files only disclose the date on which the maple leaf symbol as formally introduced into the Royal Canadian Navy. This was in a Naval order in September 1944, which followed a recommendation dated June 15, 1944, by the Canadian Naval Mission Overseas.

The practice of painting a maple leaf on the funnel had, however, already been put into practice unofficially by Canadian warships. After the war, for the sake of contrast, the colour of the maple leaf was changed from green to red and this it remains to this day. The maple leaf remains in a secure and lasting position as a symbol for all to see that the ship that wears it is Canadian.

It was actually in 1957 that the colour of the maple leaves on the arms of Canada was changed from green to red, one of Canada’s official colours. On February 15, 1965, the red maple leaf flag was inaugurated as the National Flag of Canada."

It would seem from that that (pre-1945) it actually was green

Posted by leccyflyer on 28/02/2012 11:04:04:

The model looks good from a few feet away, but when all is said and done, she's a foamie through and through. It's the flying characteristics, and especially those landings, that shine through though. An excellent model to chuck in the car for a quick fix.

No servos to fix, if you haven't gone for the bare airframe kit. It's a Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig box for such a small aeroplane too.

You weren't joking the box was enormous for such a small model. When I opened the box it was full of beautifully shaped foam parts. All seperated with tape and some tatty old grey and green bits of foam wink 2

Cheers

Danny