Talking of money burning a hole

Bob Cotsford

Cosford this weekend will have lots of trade stands, and I've got an excess of motors and radio going spare. So far I like the look of YT's Dragon Lady or Black Horse's Ultimate, what else is out there in either 90 or 120 FS size for less the £200?

Lets have your suggestions please!

Ooops - maybe I should tie it down a bit - no WW1 style machines, must fit in a Focus estate with room to spare for other models, ideally aerobatic but not 3D.  2 wings good, but only if it's quick to assemble.  ARTFs, not full builds - though I could be tempted if anyone knows of a Jungmeister or similar kit.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/07/2011 21:59:03

Advert

I think both Black Horse & Ripmax have a 120 sized Pitts Special available.....

Bob I fear this decision is a terrible burden for you to bear but I am willing to share the load.....send ME the £200 & I will buy a model with it. That way you will avoid the angst of not choosing the right model & instead the dispair will fall upon me....this is a sacrifice I am willing to make for a fellow modeller

What can I say in reply to such a generous offer?

Well, one word is 'off'
I don't know what it is about the 'old style' Pitts Special/S2 but I just don't like 'em. Too common? Funny as I do like the Steen Skybolt, or at least Great Planes interpretation, a kit for which is next on the building board. The MXS is pretty, I'll keep an eye out for it, their Zlin 50 looks nice too, though I've got hankering for something maybe a bit more relaxed - back to the Dragon Lady?

Well, I guess I'll be back with the answer tomorrow. So far I've been recommended the Pulse (though a bit fragile) and the BH or Seagull Ultimates. I'm surprised there's been no feedback on the Dragon Lady, Pitts Python and the like.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up with an Edge or Extra after all, or

oops. that should be hit the big aerobatic model,
ANYWAY, seeing as i am working the stand tomorow, i thought i would phone Wilson and save you a trip, the DG is out of stock, and not likely to be in for a loooong time, owing to factory issues, Wilson tells me he has an uncovered one, but it wont be there till sunday

Edited By Alan 4 on 15/07/2011 21:09:17

booger, I was hoping to have a look at how they're built. Didn't recognise your new moniker at first Mr C. Wonder what Wilson would want for the nude DG? I'll be sure to say hello if you're not too busy.

Remember a CAP Gladiator from a couple of years ago? In need of 'restoration' and passed on via Wilson? Well it bit the dust last week, but it had provided plenty of entertainment in the meantime.

You never can predict what will happen can you?
I went to Cosford yesterday, the clouds parted and the sun shone.
I happened to mention the World Models Super Chipmunk at one point, the next thing I know I'm loading one into the back of the car - I'm sworn to secrecy regarding source and price but it was a very sweet deal.

Nicked from the World Models blurb:

"World Models Super Chipmunk 90R -Retracts

All wood construction with fiberglass parts!
Pre-Printed hand iron-on covering ( the covering is also available as a spare part)
Functional flaps for smooth landing
Comes with all kit hardware and accessories.The power range calls for 61 two stroke or a 91 four stroke, in fact this model flys very well on an OS 70 Surpass or similar Size Saito engine.
Code No. : A004R
Wing Span : 64 in / 1620 mm
Wing Area : 682 sq in / 44 sq dm
Flying Weight : 7 lbs / 3300 g
Fuselage Length : 53 in / 1340 mm
Engine Required : 2-stroke 0.61 to 4-stroke 0.91
Radio Required : 6-channel radio w/ 7 servos (Optional inboard flap)
This model comes complete with retracts installed, despite the low price!

The usual World Models quality!"

I'm really looking forward to flying this one, I've always had a soft spot for Chippies and had a lot of fun with a Chipahawk semi-scale job years ago. All the reports on various web sites for this version are good, it looks right and seems to be a well built machine.

It's coming up 11:50 am on Sunday, all the servos, receiver and twin batteries/switches are in (one set for retracts), the batteries charged, a Magnum 91 fourstroke has taken up residence, the covering has been tightened, all that remains is trimming the cowl for the silencer and finding somewhere for the remote glow socket to go then seeing how it balances. Seeing as it keeps drizzling outside I doubt it will be much fun flying so I guess I'll finish the Chippie of and watch the MotoGP this afternoon and wait for a dry day to see how it goes.

There was nothing on the telly on a Saturday night so it just had to be done. Frustratingly now it's ready I won't be able to try it until next weekend anyway due to work and weather constraints. At least it made for an enjoyable weekend fettling, though a lot of the basics were already done so it really was just fitting out.

I've never had a model with retracts before, so I probably spent an hour or so yesterday afternoon doing a reasonable impression of Homer Simpson - "wheels go up, wheels go down,  wheels go up, wheels go down,wheels go up, wheels go down" ad nauseam

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/07/2011 11:23:08