Thin Film

Erfolg

Advert

It was a report in the "Professional Engineer" the in-house magazine of the Institute of Chartered Mechanical Engineers.

The claim was that a motor development company (Ricardo I think) was making use of this type of battery in powering automobiles, as they were better than the standard Lipo. Like many things, I just read on, then it started to haunt me. I had thrown the mag out, by the time I really was interested, so could not go back.

Erfolg

googled the subject and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-polymer on Wikipedia, there is one reference there but not very specific. There is a suggestion that over 10,000 cycles are possible.

Just found http://www.excellatron.com/advantage.htm pretty diagram and full explanation. Looks like the important thing for us is going to be weight.

surely someone is experimenting 

Pat I found the site you posted very interesting.

From the site info it appears that Exellation is targeting low power applications.

The technology must be well known, as the site describes the principals in some detail (the commercial, technical info I would think has not been published).

Taking Timbos point, I wonder if there is a fundemental scientific limitation to the development of high powered cells. Or is it a case of development, as with Lipos and other new battery technologies.

I find it encouraging that we have seen a step change in the viability of model electric flight, mainly down to lipos and outrunner brushless motors. The least i now expect is long term incremental improvements in the field of electric  power. All driven by mass market commercial applications, be it cordless power tools, laptop computers, transport etc. If we are lucky we will see another step change, that is affordable and practical.

Regards

Erfolg