Newbie Northamptonshire - nr Kettering

Karlos checa

HI guy's rubbish pilot here

I'm looking for the best sim on the market vs price and availability that comes with a plug in controller / transmitter - have looked at Phoenix pro and RealFlight? I'm open to suggestions

The real flight looks less pretty? - Any recommendations with links / info would be great please mention version as seems to be upgrades too?

I've recently returned to flying - I have owned a few planes but with limited success so still a complete novice. Probably bought the wrong planes to start with but hey...

I got a small elec glider that I got on ok with - then bought a more powerful one with bigger wings which was great but not really what I had in mind.. Anyway they are long gone now (got involved with other things)..

I would really love to do aerobatics or the Red Bull air race type stuff eventually (one step at a time)
I got a Park Zone spitfire but was too scared to fly it - however, I made some wheels while keeping the balance the same...I took it out and had a bit of a flight before I turned too sharp = un-intentionally rolled it over and then made a bad correction..wrong way on the elevator while upside down, nose dived into the deck . I could not sort the mess out quickly enough at the altitude I was at) but absolutely loved it (The plane felt so responsive and looked lovely in the air - the 3 channels / ailerons are a bit more confusing than the glider models I had many years ago, but so rewarding... reminds me of watching them flying at the park when I was a kid

These type of basic planes seem quite affordable too - these days - Just need to learn, learn, learn...

I have looked at my local club? Wellingborough Old Grammarians - If any members are on here give me a shout - I need to come take a look ..

Advert

Hi Karlos,

welcome to the forum. This is a very friendly place - I'm sure you'll get lots of advice - most of it authoritive and all of it contradicting!

Can I just ask you to take a look at a couple of things for me?

1. Please read through the Code of Conduct its all common sense stuff really designed to make the forum a pleasant and informative place for everyone.

2. Take a look through here and here and here where you will find advice on how to insert links, videos and pictures into a post. Our system for that is a bit different than you will find on many other forums - so its definately worth a look!

Now, to your question! I'm a Phoenix user myself. Very happy with it, the system auto-updates so once you've bought it you always have the latest version. Realism is as least as good as you will find anywhere (none of them are perfect!). Graphics are excellent and it seems to run on pretty well every Windows type platform. User support is good and there are guys on here that know the system very well and they can ogten help if your stuck as well.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/08/2011 19:59:43

Thanks biggles - have looked at your links

Seem's that sim is the way forward - sorry only started investigating today (any recommended suppliers is the Dx5 the hand set to for in that price rance?

can not wait to see how terrible I am on the sim

Edited By Karlos checa on 08/08/2011 20:38:43

Just ordered the Phoenix pro V3 with Spektrum Dx5e from " wheel spin models "

I hope it's a worth while investment and arrives soon - looks like fun, excited

Edited By Karlos checa on 09/08/2011 14:48:46

Hi Karlos and welcome.
I have the phoenix sim and love it.....its as close to flying as i'm happy to get when the weather doesn't permit a trip to the field. If you don't have a super-duper wizz bang graphics card in your PC start with the various graphics settings on lowest and nudge them up until you just start to get a bit of juddering and them back them off a notch for max enjoyment.
I haven't flown at the Wellingborough club (used to work real close though) but i know its top notch club with a great field . and website. Take it steady with the models and don't rush your training...it'll all come in time and the sim will help esp with the orientation side of things no end. Good luck.

Hi Karlos, Nothing beats the club scene normally, for learning to fly. A more expensive route is the commercial instruction. You really need to start with a "Trainer" type plane and only go for Spitfires and the "Red Bulll" type of model and flying style after you have learned to fly.

Try your local club, if they have room for a newbie you will get lots of info and help, especially what equipment you will find compatible with what the club uses for training purposes. They might well have thier own beginners equipment.

Have fun.

I Know about the hi, low wing scenario (not the physics behind it)... I suspect it's to do with speed vs lift and or how, the wing position effects the balance or maneuverability of the plane..

The Mrs bought the Spitifre years ago... I had no intentions of flying it
She forced me to take it out (collecting dust) I was expecting much less of a flight from it and surprised my self - hence realizing I might actually be able to fly one eventually please do not mis intemperate my thoughts - easy done

ref:

I would really love to do aerobatics or the Red Bull air race type stuff eventually (one step at a time)
I understand how that sounds - ''Running before walking'' not the plan
I know there is more to most things than meets the eye when you start researching
(I'm an engineer by trade) - that apply s to just about everything - I just want to have some fun and not get OCD too soon will be looking to buy a training plane next
and buddy up handsets at a club.. See how it goes...

Karlos,
Welcome also from me. About the simulator - now you have purchased one which is fine anyway - but there would have also been the possibility to try one in one of the main street shops. You are not far from Northampton - so you could have tried the Phoenix sim in the shop of Simon Tooley (tried mine there before I purchased it). Both Phoenix and real flight are not bad. Advantage of the phoenix is that you use your own radio.

Flying: For the real beginner you find models like the easy star from Multiplex or similar, those are difficult to be destroyed and should help you to get going. They do not look pretty as a low wing aerobatic plane but they fly stable - if you leave the controlls these planes stabilize themselves if they are properly set up and you are in a reasonable height.
Once you get bored with this one it is time for something faster, nicer and more delicate. Happy flying VA

Hi Karlos - your attitude is spot on for sucessful learning mate!

You have to forgive us if sometimes we sound a bit like we're being too negative but as you'll find out when you've been around the hobby for a few years we've all meet too many folks that were determined to make that 6 foot wingspan Spitfire their first model. And we all know exactly how it going to end - hopefully with the only real damage being to the person's wallet and dignity! So we get a little twitchy when beginners mention Spitfires - please forgive us!

You've got it right. A good sensible high wing trainer - OK maybe its not the most glamourous but it will look after you while you learn to fly. And just remember, the guy flying the scale gas turbine at 100mph almost certainly (like every sucessful R/C pilot) started out just like that with a high wing trainer!

Enjoy it mate - any questions don't hesitate to ask!

BEB

Karlos

I am in the WOGEES club and you are more than welcome to come along for a look see at the Old Grammarians sports ground, Sywell road, Wellingborough. Best days are Sat / Sun but if the weather is decent their is usually someone around.

You may have to leave your car at the gate (members have keys) and walk to the back of the sportshall.

Als take a look here > http://www.ogeesmfc.co.uk/

Hope to see you around

Edited By Brian Patterson on 10/08/2011 14:29:21

Thanks for the replies chaps

I order the sim on 24hr courier - it arrived at 11.30 today
- (email confirmation, good service '' wheel spin'')

I am very happy with it - my work's pc is on steroids, for occasional video editing so it can handle the graphics

I've had several successful fun flights today and landings with only the odd disaster when really trying silly things - I like the multi player modes cutting the wing ribbons

It's must be harder in real life LOL - I can fly most of the low wing things on here GREAT FUN...

I guess it's nerves in real life, wind and that little thing called reality that all factor and makes it much more tricky.

.It's nice to get familiar with the controls and sorting out a variety of messes.

BRIAN - I've spoken to Jake from Ogees
(on the a forum I found linked to the club website) - I hope to get up there soon

Edited By Karlos checa on 10/08/2011 16:43:48