Electric Starter.

Hi,
My JP powertorque standard electric starter doesn't seem to be up to the task of starting my 4st TT 130 engine.
It starts it but after the first time it just seems to wear the 12v battery down quickly and not grip the spinner!!

What do people use to start theirs and any tips on a decent higher end starter?

Advert

i think i have the same starter mate and i dont have any problems maybe your 12 volt batt is on the slide, yep i have just checked its the same starter as mine and mine fires it around with no problems, try someone elses battery, and i have got a softer rubber in mine as all i use is ali spinners these days and the original did not grab very well

Hi Ross,just turn the prop back away from the compression stroke in reverse direction until it comes up against the resistance created by the piston reaching the top of the stroke.That free movement then helps the starter to turn the engine before it reaches compression.Just lately with dampness in the air Ive had the same problem with my smaller motors,and one of the guys actually starts the electric start tghen thrusts it on to the spinner to give it some umph.

Ross...what the lads mean is to wind the engine backwards (ie clockwise as you look at it) until you feel the piston come up against compression....if you apply the starter now it gets a sort of "run up" of 1.5 turns before it has to overcome the compression of the engine. This allows it to store a bit of energy in the flywheel effect of the propeller. This can help it over the first compression stroke.

Also how are you connecting to the battery? If its a small battery with faston type connections & you are just attaching to these with croc clips then its unlikely this "connection" is able to pass sufficient current to properly turn the starter/engine over. A bit of work in this department can revolutionise the power of a starter.

See Lee, sometimes it worth asking the obvious question!

Its just as Stig and Stephen say. By winding back to compression you'll get 2 whole turns with almost no resistance for a 4-stroke before the starter has to do some serious work by driving the engine over compression. That "breathing space" gives the starter a chance to build up some torque and speed before having to "deliver"!

Re Stephen's comment about some his clubmates "thrusting the starter on with it all ready going" I must say I don't like doing that. It does give the starter extra "umph" but its also quite brutal on the engine. I've seen folks bend conrods doing that over and over again to a flooded engine, and 4-strokes flood fairly easily so I wouldn't recommend that as an approach here.

BEB

Cheers guys, top stuff as always.
Will give it a go soon. Once i've got a day off soon (Stupid riots!!) and have time to properly start and get the engine running to satisfaction, she will be up!!!!

Thanks.