Will this "wet" your appetite?

Peter Beeney

Very recently a colleague brought along his new model, which may be worthy of a mention, only because it flys so well, is so easy to build and is also relatively inexpensive.
This is Polaris, a design/free plan from the internet, and I think it’s also associated Balsa Kits? as a North Star. It’s an electric model, a delta configuration, made from 6 mm depron, and and with a high mounted motor in the tail it can be flown off water. He said there is some YouTube footage of this; and this particular example has indeed flown off water, too. The three photos give an indication of it’s lines. The young lady is the owner’s daughter, she punts this and her dad’s Touch and Go around quite happily, but she is still learning at the moment.

Some of the basic details - Weight 19 ozs. The energy pack, a 11.1V 2,200 mAh Rhino Lipo. The turning force, a 2212-06 motor from Giant Cod. 1.5 sheets of depron and a carbon spar make up the airframe. Three small servos to get round the manoeuvres with. A 40A Hobby Wing Pentium ESC to ensure the motor behaves itself.

This arrangement all equates to 330 watts from a freshly charged pack, which is 278 watts/lb. That’s enough poke to fly it straight off the ground, without so much as even a short take off run. The motor has a rpm per volt of 2,200, and with a 6 by 4 prop bolted on the front this yields a static rpm of 20,100. Allowing for a 10% unloading this give it a theoretical speed of 84 mph. On the recommended 5.25 by 4.5 prop it might get even better! I don’t think it actually goes quite this fast, but it does trundle along at a reasonable lickety-split.

The man reckons it took him about half an hour to actually cut the bits out, and about a total of a day to make it but he is very fast and skilful. Years of practice, all the right tools for the job and a natural talent for it does help. He just likes building model planes! The total cost, excluding the receiver and batteries is £30 +, including £20 for the ESC. The receiver here is a 2.4 Assan, £14 for 6 channels and the batteries are what you have to pay for them at the time, in this case for 25C types, which can easily maintain the necessary 30 amps, around £10.

Most importantly the flying characteristics are good, too. From full speed down to walking pace, it’s as steady as a rock. It can be landed as gently as the proverbial thistledown, but it’s also stable and accurate enough to do high speed, (flat out!), touch and go’s down the strip; in fact, I think that is what makes it so nice, it’s ability to be able to fly so precisely. All in all, it gets a lot of favourable comments.

I do stress this is not an own design. I’ve not researched it, but I’m sure a quick Google will reveal loads more info.

Perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea, but it could be a useful hack type of model to throw in the car for a quick fly at a convenient spot……

Also this may have appeared here before, if so please accept my apologies.

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 10/08/2011 23:11:41

Advert

The Pipe Lagging Delta ,based on the PL Dart and influenced by Peter Russell's 363 conventionally built delta design, is lighter , power efficient ,quicker to build ,cheaper to build , and very precise on the controls .
High alpha landings at very low speed are a breeze,a simpler concept perhaps not as aesthetically interesting ,.... will land on water ,but will not take off again.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 11/08/2011 00:58:24

Hiya,
I have watched a few video's of this plane and looks alot of fun.
In fact i have downloaded the plan and already cutting out the parts,using 6mm white and grey depron.
Giant cod have the motor and CF rods in stock,so happy days there.
I am going to build 2 of them ,one for me and one for my son.
Seeing as i live with water all aroung me ,this is a great plane for some water fun as well.
The main factor is that this is a good every day bit of fun ,cheap as chips ..........i love it

Is anyone else building it?