Medevac, the next step?

Barney Barnett

For outdoor use you'll need a collective pitch machine and, generally speaking, the bigger it is the easier it'll be to fly. For your undercover area, however, the largest model you'd probably want is a 400 size heli' (about 600mm rotor diameter). Whatever you go for, then, will be a bit of a compromise. On the whole 400 size collective models are quite capable outdoor trainers in light winds so I guess that'd be my recommendation. Fit a training undercarriage and get someone to set it up for you though - most important, even for the ones that come ready to fly out of the box. For the first few flights it'll feel quite sensitive compared to the Medevac but you'll soon get the measure of it.

Thanks for the tips Graham, just found the forum tonight, will try and work my way through the earlier threads. Medevac is my first model, when I was in the military I had a lot of stick time on Kiowa, Iroquois and Blackhawk, mode 2 is fairly instinctive and Medevac was fairly easy to fly straight out of the box. So far only damage was one nicked blade when chasing one of the wifes dogs (hope she does not see this).

I moved on from my origional Twister bell 47 to a Esky Honeybee CP2 bought at a bargain RTF price from www.rcscale.co.uk

It flies well - basically being a JP twister CP2 with slightly different mechanics and aesthetics. However, if you can afford it (I couldn't) get something a bit more expensive. The T-rex and Thunder tiger equivilant - the mini Titan - both seem to fly well: I've seen both in action. However, they are a bit big for indoor use. Of course, you could get an IC outdoors heli and keep the Medevac fro those rainy days - my recomendation would be a Raptor 30/50 because the spares are supposed to be the cheapest around.

Have a look around at various shops and websites, ask competant heli flyer's opinions and don't impulse buy!

I flew my Medevac (which started life as a Twister Bell 47 and was rebuilt in a Medevac body after a crash because the body was stronger) for about 100 hours before upgrading, but I still fly it now - it is such good fun! I upgraded to a MiniPred. I have been very cautious with it, but still whacked it a couple of times while learning. It is harder to mend than the Medevac (I am trying to work out how to replace a bolt that isn't on the parts list) but actually pretty easy to fly and, unlike the Medevac, can survive some fairly violent manoeuvring. It's actually easy to avoid crashing this machine because when you lose control, you can keep it in the air - if you have space - until you get it back under control. I thought very seriously about the Falcon 3D, but ultimately followed the advice of a friendly club flyer. When someone with 50 years of model flying experience decides to take you under his wing (so to speak) it is very wise to follow his advice unless you have a VERY good reason to reject it, and are prepared to lose his tutelage.

It seems that the model names are different here in Australia, makes it a bit hard to relate to what you guys are saying but I do appreciate the feedback. Now up to three broken lower blades, taped the broken pieces back on and put the same amount of tape on the opposite blade, no noticable difference. Did try to adjust the gyro to get back some pedal trim but found it was already maxed ? This was before the blade band-aids.

Is pedal trim the same as yaw trim? If so, and the gyro is already maxed, then you might have a bent shaft. This will slow down one of the rotors, (inner shaft turns the upper rotor, outer shaft turns the lower rotor,) causing the turning. Replacing the inner shaft is relatively easy: the outer shaft is a bit more complicated. But when I had the same problem with mine, a new shaft fixed it.

Thanks again Gareth, yes, what I referred to as "pedal trim" is yaw trim, when flying full size helicopters the yaw is controlled by the pedals, must get my terminology right. Will have a look at the shafts, meanwhile the Medevac is providing some good stress relief when I get home from work, two batteries and two Bourbons and I calm down enough to go in the house. Some of the confusion regarding model names came from your earlier post (25/10.07) where you said you considered a Falcon 3d but bought a MiniPred after advice from your instructor. Are they the same model from different manufacturers?

Regards,

Barney.

Yes - the final choice I had was between a Falcon/MiniPred and an Esky HoneyBee King 2. I went with the advice of the local club and rejected the HoneyBee, and then bought the one of the other two that was available - there were no decently priced Falcons when I was shopping. I have to say that the support from Century (who make the MIni Pred) here in the UK is excellent - next day delivery on parts. Mind you, in a month of flying I have only needed a new tail boom, two main rotor blades and a feathering shaft. In the same period my Medevac had needed at least two complete rebuilds that cost twice as much in parts as the original heli... I know what you mean about the stress relief, though. Two full batteries with the Mini Pred adds up to about 25 minutes of flight time, plus another half hour of fettling. It's a great way of relaxing. And then I go inside and buzz the kids with my PicooZ...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi People, just found this thread, I'm just moving on from a Medevac to a Century Mini Pred on the advice of my local model shop. Judging by the reviews here, it looks like the right choice. I'm told it will fly outside without the same problems as the Medevac, any comments on that?

• 2 months later...
Its amazing what you find on these forums. I got a medvac for Christmas, then a mini47g, now looking to upgrade again and was wondering about the mini pred. Now I see teh is an E-flite Blade CP, what would you recommend between the mini pred and blade cp? I've already got futaba 2.4 set-up for my IC planes, so maybe something withour radio gear?

• 4 months later...
Hiya people just a quick one on the yaw pot on the bell 47/medivac if its maxed it might also be that the link connecting the fly bar to the top rotor is set wrong by experimenting with the length it is poss to ajust the amount of yaw trim required. move with caution though doesn't need much.

Not my experience Vinnie i've got the original bell 47 had it for nearly 2 years now flying ast least 6 times a week and it still pops off the floor straight into the most stable hover literally hands off however i do lubricate the motors every now and again with a very light oil designed for electric motors and generally keep it dust free

ok so i prob only do 3 batteries about 5 or 6 times a week also always let it cool well between flights but mostly put the longevity of the motors down to maintenance but 3 sets how long you had it all i've replaced is rotors countless times and canopy twice oh and secured the servos a little better the old tape failed wen warm well hot actually. that caused controll issues an a few  words