onboard glow

Phil 9

Advert

I know the ones you mean they are quite usless. I have had the same problem. I have adapted the Cent-r-lock glow plug adapters and aero leads that South Herts Models supplies on their on board glow systems. You can buy the parts separately and it's a simple wiring job. Have a look on www.southhertsmodels.com. I have not had one fail so give it a try. Adrian

it was on an onboard glow system (from just engines). the spring was very week and the motor would not start. cowl off proved the fault was a poor connection.

I am thinking of a parallel connected remote glow as a back up. if I can not make it reliable I will have to make a hole in the cowl for a glow starter.

I found a post on another site where a wheel collet with the wire soldered to it was used. the grub screw then holds onto the plug. I will give this a go

I use remote glows on all of my models and I've honestly not had a problem. As I say you need to push them on firm. Just a really daft question - but you never know! - you are pulling the wire back against the spring as you press the connector firmly into position?

After connecting I give the cap a firm pull to check its well located. As I say I've never had one come off.

BEB

My Dragon Lady came with on-board glow, the plug connector is what looks like a biro spring soldered on the end of the lead, with a piece of fuel tubing slipped over it. It seems very secure - so far! My Super Chippie has a remote glow connection, the sort with the rubber boot over a brass connector, it grips OS-Fs ok, but not so good on Taylors. The Gladiator had a glow clip made from something like 18 or 20swg wire bent to form an R-clip sheathed in heat-shrink with a suitable hole for the plug terminal to go through.

Incidentally, the DL has an SM Services glow driver which connects to the throttle channel to light up the plug at low throttle. The switch on point is adjustable, and there's a few seconds delay on switch off. It seems a neat and reliable device. Glow power is from a single sub-C cell, so far I've not flown the model more than four or so flights in a session, but it's provided enough power to start the engine every time.

I did not have an OS plug but one from Model technics.

looks like these connectors work fine I may have just had a bad one the spring was very lose and did not give a good grip.

I have soldered on a wheel collet and it seems like a good solution so I shall give it a try

Phil if you have more problems it might be worth trying a OS plug.

I’ve been using model technics plugs for months, but recently changed to OS plugs, I’ve noticed that my glow starter is harder to fit on the OS plug, and when locked on is solid, I think there must be some difference in size or shape to the two plugs.

Worth a try

Marc

I have used the metal bits from a 15amp choc block with the plastic surround removed. The hole is not much bigger that the glow plug centre, and I secure it along with the wire with 1.5mm grub screws. A bit of heatshrink over it and the wire with a small piece removed to access the screw where it goes on the plug and you are done. Suggested by the chap at SM services. Just make sure the block does not touch the plug body, only the centre pin.