Banner Towing

Delta Whiskey

Anyone tried this and would care to share their experineces, as I've had the idea floating around for a while?

Obviously the banner would have to be a relative size to the model and therefore not very visible other than to the pilot and spectators at the strip.

(no fun police please !)

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 22/08/2011 09:55:35

Advert

Danger Danger health and safety, risk assessment, are you sure your insurance will allow it????
Right I have got that over with for everyone....

It sounds quite a fun idea, you would have to be careful about it snagging on take off and landing and keep it a sensible size but it should work !!
Oh and it would soon get all oily.

See it done on full size a/c on APC out in Cyprus where the Hawk tows a banner for gunnery target practice!

The banner will need to be fastened to a weighted pole to enable it to fly the correct way up and not flap around in the wind behind the tow aircraft.
What size a/c are you thinking of for the towing?

we used to share a field with micro-lites ,then they allowed a flying ads outfit to do banner towing. they used a cessna 182. the same system was used as eric described, one day the pilot had done two lots of towing came back and dropped the banner and landed to pack all the gear into the plane and got ready to take off. after taking off he had to make a left turn to avoid flying over a holiday camp, unfortunatly he turned to tightly with not enough speed and tip stalled and went straight in from abought 80ft he was killed instantly. i watched this happen and thought oh dear he's stalled it then it hit me this was a real plane not a model me and roger ran to the wreck as fast as possible to see what we could do but the poor pilot was dead. as there was fuel pouring out of the wing tank and we were standing in waist high dry corn we retired a safe distance and waited for the fire brigade

Lot's of risks for full size pilots then......

Good find Ben - looks like it's done similar to the full size picking up the banner from a high pole, then dropping back over the strip, more complicated than I thought !

Second video with the HK cub was more of my idea.....with the bigger IC trainer though. Obviously the smooth tarmac was key here......

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 24/08/2011 19:21:02