Futaba 6EXA set up with HAL auto pilot

Jim Burton 1

Greets to all.

Being a poor pilot is no fun, so I bought me a HAL 2100 horizontal auto levelling system, which you'll know, controls the elevators and ailerons and keeps things level (the moment you get into trouble, just let go of the sticks).

Installation is straightforward, but I am puzzled by something called the 'Gain' or Sensitivity control. This needs to be hooked up to a spare Rx channel, the instructions say. It also would be best if it were a rotary control rather than an on/off arrangement. I'd have thought channel 6 'flaps' on my 6EXA would be the one to use.

I don't see how to program the Tx as directed by HAL's instructions "Decide which way round you want the 'Gain' knob to operate (0-100%) and program the Tx accordingly".

Could someone tell me which of the parameters for channel 6 I need to set so that the flaps knob is operating essentially as a rotary potentiometer?

Advert

Hi Jim,

Each extreme of the Ch6 knob's movement is like each direction of the travel of a switch. That is at one end of the rotation of the knob is off and the other end of it's travel is on. Being a knob though you can set it anywhere inbetween to get a porportinal amount of movement - in other words the flaps knob is already the rotoray potentiometer you are looking for - so yes connect up to that.

"I don't see how to program the Tx as directed by HAL's instructions "Decide which way round you want the 'Gain' knob to operate (0-100%) and program the Tx accordingly".

This will be refering to servo reversing and if I remember correctly Ch6 can be reversed just like the other channels on the 6Exa. However I doubt that will be necessary - you will just have to test to find out which end of the knob's rotation is imposing the greatest amount stabilisation. When you do flight testing it would be a good idea to have an expeirenced pilot check this out with you.

A friend of mine used one of these some years ago (with a 6EXA) and found it very helpful.

Edited By Ian Jones on 23/08/2011 00:18:01

• 1 year later...

I have been using HAL for 15 years or more, with great succes - BUT ONLY after modifing them by adding filtering to stop the 12mhz microprocessor signals interfering with the 35mhz RC gear!

No problem on 2.4 ghz, though, as far as I have seen so far.

This test is VITAL! And I mean VITAL!!!! and is mentioned in the instructions but simply not emphasised enough.

Carry out a normal range check without the Hal connected at all. Then do the same check with the Hal connected. Any one of the leads to the Rx is enough to put power into it.

In my experience, with single conversion Rxs, range will drop by anything from 5% to 70%, and how much can depend critically on which RF channel is in use - I guess depending on how the interference mixes with the various Rx signals.

DO NOT FLY if range is substantially reduced - say by more than 10%. If it is more than this, try another channel until you find one that is OK.

The only dual conversion Rx I have tried with a Hal - a Futaba - was very badly affected indeed range with Tx aeral collapsed nomally 100 yards, fell to about 6 feet!! No I am not joking, it really was that bad.

The problem with the Hal design - as I told the makers 15 years or more ago - is that the 12mz micro section of the PCB is not isolated at all from the rest of the circuitry so those interfering signals get out through all the leads. I found a way to cut the PCB in several places, and reconnect the micro via chokes and with capacitorss to ground. Even then, depending on channel, it could stll be badly affected eg channels 61 and 62 remain unusable, 66 to 70 are fine.

Not an easy fix.

N

Don't know this specific hardware but most gyros will reach a point where they overcontrol (overshoot the right stop position)and force unwanted and incresingly violent oscillation. You will probably need to use the end points controls for channel 6 (flap alias gyro) to limit the gyro strength at the "most powerful" end of travel.

With the amount of hassle I F highlights above, I'd just learn to fly properly!!! wink 2

• 6 years later...