Slipstream RC or Goldwing RC model discussion

Advert

As far as kit quality goes they are similar. Though I think Slipstream are the 'new' kids on the block and gaining in reputation. Either will satisfy. When folks sit down after the Nats I'm sure you'll get some more distinct answers to your Q Steve.

BB

Steve,

I have a Slipstream Sbach342 50cc and I must say it's a fantastic kit with the quality amongst the best I have seen. The flight qualities are more than adequate for my standard of aeros and I am sure it will do the 3D book with bigger throws if that's your thing. The wing loading is quite low which I guess speaks volumes for the super flight performance. So go buy the Slipstream Yak I would say! Adrian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
hi adrian, what setup have you in your sbach? i have crrc 50cc engine, savox 20kg servos and 2200 4.8v ignition battery.
i want to use two 6v 3300mah nimh batteries but not sure how to run 2 6v batteries into my rx... was told to plug both batteries into seperate switches and plug the 2nd switch into any spare port on rx but i still have 12v going into rx...

Hi Tom,
My set up is quite straight forward in that power is provided by an OS Max BGX-1 Ring engine using a 20 x 8 APC prop (producing 8k revs comfortably without straining . Despite being 36cc it provides 4.1ps of grunt which does all that is required of this 50cc model + it's quieter than petrol at 81dB. Electrics & RX are driven by 2700mAh 6 volt battery. That's it really I just like to keep it simple.

My routine Tom is to have four flights per session with around 6-7 minutes flying time largely because I find with me that any longer and my attention wanders doing serious aeros! A mistake I made manys years ago and not to be repeated.
For my 2700 mah Nimh after a session such as this, on a recharge it will take 300-400 mah using a fast charge with a readout of input. I also have a voltage checker on board in a prominant position in the cockpit area for safety given that Nimhs have history of tailing off if you are not careful.
I recycle twice a year and at the first sign of any drop in capacity the battery gets binned and a new one put in. It's a routine that has stood me well as thus far I have not lost a plane through power failure - other ways yes but not a dodgy cell or two! Hope that helps.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 10/01/2012 20:06:36

• 2 months later...

Hi David,

I have this Slipstream 50cc model and have done just over 7hours flying time with it. (I also have the 30cc version but that one is goldwing) . Firstly, the quality of the kit is excellent and is reflected in the price. That said I didn't mind paying it when I saw the quality. It's the best I have seen. There is an offer on these kits at Model Maniacs where they have knocked £50 off the usual price. Rather than put a 50cc petrol engine in the frame ( Idon't do petrol), I am using an OS BGX -1 Ring which is essentially 35cc, with a 20 x 8 APC prop. That is plenty enough power and is almost unlimited vertical whilst doing all the aeros you need. One thing to note is if you go the OS route you will need to put 6-8oz of weight in the nose to balance the CG as it's much lighter than your average petrol set up. That said the CG is quite conservative and you could reduce that slightly depending on your preferences. Any way it's a top notch model and you won't be disappointed with it.

Edited By David Ashby on 02/04/2012 13:39:33

Thanks Adrian,

I was a little worried about the quality of build given how cheap (even at full price) the model is compared to others of the same size. Guess i dont need to worry.

I have the full setup from my re-kitted EF Yak54 sitting on the bench including 50cc petrol. Actually thats not strictly true, the radio components (servos, receiver and batts) have been installed in the 57" Goldwing MX2 just to make sure they are 100% before fitting in to a big model. Would rather trash the MX than a new new 50cc job. These items desperately need a home and liked the look (and price) of the SS Sbach. I guess my mind is now made up.

PS does it have a tunnel for cannister or have the room to make a tunnel?

Hi David, There is a void/tunnel under the firewall than can be adapted for a pipe whilst there is plenty of room for a cannister exhaust. Supplied are a choice of two firewalls depending on the engine ie DA or 3W and either can be fitted into the standard additional fire wall to make a really sturdy fitting. There is additional triangular stock if required, but that's all there is to build really. I must admit I did adapt the elevator set up to a pull-pull cable rather that two servos at the rear as I knew I was going to have to juggle around with a balance issue. Just make sure the elevator servo in the fuz has a torque of at least 20kg to be safe if you do that. Sorry to hear about the Yak, it happens to the best of us, but I take the view a certain level of renewal is healthy if the wallet can stand it!