Changing the markings on an HC Hobby DH Mosquito

John Felstead

Hi,
I have signed up to this forum to ask members advice on a problem I have.
I live in Hunsdon Herts where the Mosquito Squadrons were based during WWII.
We have just refurbished our village hall in the style of a WWII NAAFI and called it Pickard's Cafe after Squadron Leader Pick Pickard who lead the raid to Amiens to relese the prisoners of war.
Anyway I have bought a large scale HC Hobby Mosquito which we are going to hang from the cafe ceiling but want to make it as authentic as practicable. I know the HC hobby models are not exactly to scale but if I can change the fusilage markings to those used by Pickard (EGF) it would be great. I have a local model club printing some new ones but the problem is removing the existing transfer. The model is made of Epo Flex Foam and the transfer appears well attached. It even difficult to make out the outline of the transfer.

Can anyone recommend a way of removing the existing decals and lettering without damagaing the Epo flex Foam beneath. Someone has suggested careful application of heat from a hair dryer but I am worried it may melt the foam.
Any ideas gladly received.

Advert

As Eric says you may have a problem if the markings are sprayed, or even afixed so steadfastly that the surface may be damaged.

How about going whole hog and respraying the model completely, I know its a bit of work but you would definitely get it accurate then And the extra weight would be of no concern as its being hung from the ceiling.

Danny

THIS IS THE THREAD on RCGroups that deals with the HC Mosquito. The OP TLMARK modified his to the EGF scheme, see post 1515 at the bottom of page 101 for some flying shots. Give hime a PM and ask what he did to remove the original scheme. Or, you could flog through the whole thread out of interest if you have lots of time to spare. He also got his transfers from a local shop (Shouthern England). Should have asked earlier and possibly saved yourself some trouble. The forum members on here are a mine of useless(oopps, sorry) usefull information as I've found.
HTH

• 3 weeks later...
First of all many thanks for all that have responded to my post. Apologies for the delay in responding but I have had major difficulties in logging in and the system didnt even recognise my e-mail to do a password reset.
Anyway I have been let down by the local model club who were going to print off the new markings due to the gentleman being hospitalised so we have made a decision to paint over the existing markings and repaint the new lettering.
Firstly can anyone tell me if there is a safe spray paint I can use, as the existing is sprayed and I think hand painting over the transfer will show. It clearly has to be some sort of acrylic as the aircraft is Epo flex foam.
Secondly how I can identify the colours to be able to match them? I have contacted a local model club in Broxbourne (Hurricane Models) and the range of foam friendly paints are quite limited.
Finally is it better to use aerosols or an airbrush as the camouflage has a broken blurred edge rather than a defined line. Maybe this is done with a stencil in the factory?
Now that I have been able to log in I will try and PM TLMark if I can work out how to do that. Any suggestions would again be appreciated

Fozzie

ps Eric (Bray), I am afraid I dont knowTodd Slaughter but then I am not much of a modeller until now. that said I got a 1/16 scale Panzer tank for my birthday

I use B&Q emulsion testers - they can mix a range of colours from their colour cards and even scan a sample if nothing suits.

Very reasonably priced at a couple of squids for a 250ml tin which goes an awful long way - the finish is very good when brushed but they can be sprayed - I just thin them with water.

Pyramid Models can supply one-off graphics and are seem to be very efficient.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/09/2011 12:00:05

Unfortunately, Hatfield is a housing estate now - but the Mosquito Museum is located at Salisbury Hall, London Colney (near St. Albans) just by the M25 junction 22 (of "He's crashed, he's crashed TV fame) and is where the prototype was designed, built, flown from and is now retired to!

I can't recommend a visit highly enough - there's unparallelled access to most of the exhibits and it's run by enthusiasts. Just check the opening times before travelling.

Not sure what's happening to their website but this link (scroll down) may be useful...

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/09/2011 17:50:54

Thanks again to all those who have responded or made suggestions. TLMARK (Mark Lane) has now emailed me with some very useful guidance and also suggested Pyramid Models from where I have today ordered the decal kit.
I have just got to try and match the original Chinese manufactures paint with something from B&Q to cover the existing decals. Unfortunately I don’t have time to re-spray the whole plane before the official opening.

I wish some of the forums I use for my work were as friendly and accommodating as the modellers and flyers who frequent these forums. TLMARK even went to the effort of joining this forum to update me.
Eric/Martin
Ironically I used to pass the Mosquito Museum every day on my way to work when stationed at Watford and then Rickmansworth but have never been in. It’s now on my list of “To Do’s” for the near future.
Once the Café has been finished and officially opened by “Pick” Pickards nephew I will take some photos and post a few for you to see the final result. The 360o mural of Hunsdon Aerodrome during WWII, which is being painted around the top of the room by local artist, is nearly finished and looks amazing.
John