Appreniceships in Broadcast and communications

Chris Bott - Moderator

Advert

I thought age discrimination was illegal in the UK?

I'm always amused when I see adverts for a shop assistant that read "must be female, have college degree, be aged between 22 and 25, 5' 2" tall, of slender build and attractive appearance" all the time thinking that any kind of criteria like this was not allowed in the UK.

The idea is great though, because the value of a degree here is becoming questionable, with the cost, number of degree holders without any job, and others not working in the field of their degree, and the fact that the international value of British degrees is being discussed in places.

I served an apprenticeship, passed a trade test, and did very well without degree. More than 20 years after that I studied for a degree, and it has never made any difference to me, neither has my MCSE which was harder!

My present employers (9 years) have never seen or asked to see any certificates or transcripts.

I think schemes like this are doing the youngsters a lt of good, it is a pity more companies did not see the light.

While I would not agree with all Steve's comments - I too would very much like to see more 'A'-level entry opportunities in the UK.

We have reached the point where if you do 'A'-levels almost the only real path open to you is university. The plain fact is University is not for everyone - and I speak as someone who has taught in one for over 25 years!

I don't think that's because the kids aren't bright enough, its just that not everyone learns the same way. Universities offer a particular type of learning and enrichment - and its good and valuable. But its only one way of doing it. And for some bright and capable young people its not the best way.

I see too many young people who, deep down, don't really know why they are there. They are there because it was "expected" - the only choice. They are not enjoying it and they are not really benefiting from it. I think its time we recognised this state of affairs and re-instated the prestige and value of high level apprecticeships in all sorts of areas. Not just technical, but commercial as well.

For several years now sucessive UK governments have had a target of 50% of young people attending university. Why? I would agree with a target of 50% engaged in some higher level education or training activity - but why is only a university appropriate to provide that? To put that figure in context when I first went to university the figure was nearer 5-7%. That was probably far too low - but 50% is far to high. We are currently at about 35-40% and even that is bringing people into the system who just not benefiting from it. Its a waste of their time and money in my opinion.

Sadly the term "apprentice" has been much misused of late to describe what are little more than short term low-level training opportunities. I'm not suggesting these are in that catagory. But what we do need is the return of this sort of high level training.

Well done to your outfit Chris for having the common sense to offer these opportunities and I hope you get a crop of really keen and capable young people. If I see any likely takers I'll certainly point them in the direction you indicate!

BEB