Top Flite Sea Fury Build

easyjetrider

I have made a little more progress recently, although it has been a case of one step forward, two steps back on occassions!

Essentially the rudder/fin and stab/elevator assemblies are now finished. I sanded the new stab tip to profile and separated the elevators. Glued on the elevator leading edges and roots and sanded them to profile. Hinged the elevators to the stab and marked the holes for the elevator joiner.

It was at this point where I made a complete hash of drilling the said holes into the elevator roots. Not having the right kit and not restraining the elevators properly meant the holes ended up oversized and at the wrong angle. Similar to the the stab tip mistake (described above), I thought about various ways of rectifying the problem, but ultimately decided that the only proper solution was to make new roots entirely. That has been done and all is now complete with the exception the holes being re-drilled. I'll do that later with correct kit!

The centre section of the wing has now begun. Here are a few new photos:

The finished product before making mistake with holes:

The finished product with new roots!:

The job so far:

Mystar, just about to weigh the stab/elevator assembly - will keep you posted.

Advert

i've just bought a couple of Top Flite kits of e-bay for next winters builds, though with our current weather winter may come early!

Kit #1 is a Corsair from 5 minutes down the road, saving on postage costs. Kit #2 is a Sea Fury which should be winging it's way across the Atlantic, making up for the postage savings on kit #1.

The Corsair states that the minimum engine size (.60 2 stroke) should be plenty to fly the plane, but then shows how to install a 1.20 4 stroke! Can I ask what power you Gents are intending to use? I'm spoilt for choice with OS and ST 61 2 strokes, an ST 90 2 stroke and ASP 1.20 four stroke available.

Hi Bob,

Nice choice of models there! I'm also considering a Corsair for a future build.

The engine I've chosen for my Sea Fury is an OS 91 FX 2 stroke. On most other TF Sea Fury forums there tends to be the opinion that the aircraft needs the more powerful of the suggested range. On that basis I would be looking seriously at your ST 90 2 stroke or your ASP 1.20 4 stroke. It then comes down to your personal preference regarding 2 vs 4 stroke engines. The other consideration is weight. For the Sea Fury (not sure about the Corsair), the chances are you are going to have to add weight to the nose - so maybe the heavier of the engines is the one to go for. Hope this helps.

Mystar, just weighed my stab/elevator assy and it comes out at 115g (a very small amount over 4oz). That's with the hinges and elevator joiner.

Ian, I'm thinking of something like this:

seafury

What do you think? It would have eggshell blue/green underneath.

Mystar,

It's funny you should mention the dual servo arrangement for the elevators. When I was discussing the mess I had made of the holes in the elevators with club members last week, that very suggestion came up. I am therefore seriously considering it myself. With the TF book method, once epoxied to the joiner, the elevators become a permanent feature of the empennage which I dont think is ideal. I've got plenty of time to decide though.

Posted by easyjetrider on 04/07/2012 21:16:05:

Mystar,

Sorry I didn't answer your question re the engine. I'm definitely going to use the OS 91 FX and the exhaust i've got my eye on is indeed an in-cowl pitts muffler. Just Engines do them specifically for that engine (and many others) for about £30.

I agree in cowl is the way to go, I can't stand seeing a nicely built scale aircraft spoilt by a dirty great silencer hanging out the side

Posted by easyjetrider on 04/07/2012 21:09:28:

Ian, I'm thinking of something like this:

seafury

What do you think? It would have eggshell blue/green underneath.

Mystar,

It's funny you should mention the dual servo arrangement for the elevators. When I was discussing the mess I had made of the holes in the elevators with club members last week, that very suggestion came up. I am therefore seriously considering it myself. With the TF book method, once epoxied to the joiner, the elevators become a permanent feature of the empennage which I dont think is ideal. I've got plenty of time to decide though.

Good colour scheme, could be some problems against grey clouds but yes that looks so much better. You could even fit the arrester hook and make it look like you used the fence wire on purpose.

Dual elevator servos with your A9 - no problem (I've cracked the problem I had with my HM Rocket and that's just with an Eclipse 7 Pro).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Yesterday while attending an estate sale I picked up a partially built Top Flite Sea Fury kit. After getting it home I realized I didn't get any plans. Does anyone here have a set of plans they would part with. This is for the Top Flite Gold Edition Sea Fury kit. The plans part number is SEA6P02R. Any condition would work as long as they are good enough to read for finishing construction. This plan set is no longer available from Top Flite.

Thanks for the help,

Gary

Help. Since I got this partially built Top Flite Sea Fury kit I have been reviewing it to asertain what I need to finish it.

I did not get any landing gear with it. Can someone tell me how long the LG struts are from the bottom of the wing to the wheel axle ? If I can get this dimension I can make my own from 5/32 mw.

Thanks for the help,

Gary

Gary

i am building the this aircraft myselft, I have the plans but I am using photo copies for the build, I could get another set of photo copies and send you those if you like.

Are you intending to use the fixed undercarriage, if so I can send you the fixed ones as I have already installed retracts

Thank you Mystar for the offer of the photo copied plans. That would enable me to finish the build on my aircraft.

I intend to install retractable undercarriage so the landing gear parts will not be needed. I do need to know the distance from the bottom of the wing down to the axle. Hopefully that dimension is shown on the plans.

What do you need from me to make this happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Mystar, or anyone else having plans and a digital camera, I have been thinking about the photo copy of the plans. Would it be easier to just take some digital photos of the plans and e-mail them to me. Straight overhead photos should work. Then I could enlarge them on this end with photo shop or some such program. Just a thought. Thanks.

To Mystar and others on this blog, thank you for your help. I have been able to resolve the issue of "no plans" for my Sea Fury partially built kit. I have found a web site that had a complete instruction manual and it contains a set of plans. Granted, they are not full size but, they show the information I need to complete my model. Should anyone else on this site need this material the web site address is:

**LINK**

• 10 months later...

Gosh! Isn't it amazing where time goes - again!

I've just been reading the blog and can't believe its over 18 months since I last posted anything and indeed made anymore progress on the model! Other interests including completely re-landscaping the back garden, work, family and a garage full of bikes, prams and other numerous items preventing me from getting to my workspace, have all conspired against the Sea Fury.

However, I have now found new vigor and determination to get back to modelling and will be reporting my progress on these pages.

Amazingly, the ribs and spars for the central wing section, that I had laid out on the plan all those months ago are still there and all appear to be in good condition. I will be continuing with this part of the build which includes test mounting the Century Jet retracts and photos will follow shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Tony - my Fury progress is a little behind yours!

Hi Ian, hope all is well and looking forward to seeing you at the field sometime soon.

I've made a little more progress during the last few days with the wing centre section. All straight forward until it came time to trial fit the retracts! More later - with photos!

So the putting together of the ribs, spars and webs of the wing centre section went smoothly and then I applied the top rear sheeting:

img_0255.jpg

and then the main top sheeting:

img_0258.jpg

I then turned the assembly over to start test fitting the retracts:

img_0261.jpg

img_0264.jpg

After cutting away the ribs which would interfere with the retracted gear, I found that the tyres were not fully inside the wing:

img_2352.jpg

In addition, when the gears were in their fully down position, they were not perpendicular to the main spar - as if they hadn't quite opened up enough:

img_2356.jpg

img_2359.jpg

So I am now having to contemplate not only lowering the retract rails (maybe as much as 5mm or more), but also slightly change their angle so that the struts are vertical when extended. Thankfully I did not epoxy the rails prior to testing the fit so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - just a bit fiddly to get them both spot on. I did notice on another forum that somebody had had the same problem but they had already glued the rails in place by the time they had noticed!