SG 38 Zogling - Primary Glider

Hi Tom, thanks for the encouragement. I have been asked why I am making this particular model. For me it kind of captures the essence of flight, a simple flying machine where the pilot flew by the seat of their pants!. These old gliders have a beauty of their own.

In terms of performance if I keep it light it should float quite well, there is 15ft of wing area to play with . My friend Mark , who we fly with up at the local field has just recieved a Wilga and said he will be happy to aerotow the Zogling to soaring altitude.

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 17/11/2011 14:28:34

Does anyone know where I can get about 6 or 8 little pulleys for my Zogling glider?

I will be using a closed loop wire system, with the wire having to make a couple of abrupt chages in direction taking the cable up and over the fuz tail boom. They need to be about 15- 20mm in diameter and have a groove for the wire to run in, and need to be fixable with a screw through the centre of the pulley wheel into the fuz, I think metal would be less wearing in the long run? any suggestions?

Oh I have tried ebay but the size of pulleys are hardly every mentioned!

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 25/11/2011 11:37:44

Progress on the Zogling to date:- I had had a bit of a virus / bug so progress has slowed a bit, but on the mend now.

Below is the tailplane

A rudder! and rear of fuz, needs shaping though
Below, fuz is under construction, ply sheet sides

Formers glued and second side glued in place

The front of the 'A' Frame is below.

The main fuz components assembled, skid needs steaming to shape on front

Bottom of fuz has had holes made to take skid posts, these are cut from a walking/hiking pole!

' A' frame members below

Carbon piece to beef up the skid (needs shaping)

The next step is to attach the ailerons and get them working, but before I can do this I need to bevel the edges of both the aileron and the wing (where the aileron will sit), the amount of bevel or slope will depend upon the required movement of the aileron. Does anyone happen to know the movement of the SG-38 control surfaces, especially aileron either in mm or in degrees? I have seen a 3rd scale SG-38 where the ailerons have been hinged from the centre line, is this correct?

Pic below is what I am after. (sorry for crude drawing, it's past my bedtime!)

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 29/11/2011 22:46:37

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, progress on the Zogling is good, managed to make a seat and fabricate the wing tips and have just about profiled to shape the fin and the tailplane. The ailerons have been beveled and hinged and there is adequate movement up and down. Have just ordered 9 metres of antique solartex! (will keep someone in business!).

The longerons that sit on the side of the fuz and add strength have been added.

I have a few unsolved bits and pieces the first is to do with the wire bracing, does anyone know what gauge of wire to use for bracing? the lighter the better, but I would like it to look substantial if you know what I mean, not like cheesewire! The next thing is the attachment points of the wire to various points on the fuz / wing? and maybe some way of tightening / loosening them, i.e a mini clevis screwing onto a threaded bar and somehow connected to either the wing fuz. Obviously only one end need be adjustable, any suggestions would be welcome.

The second is the ski, which sits under the fuz, how on earth does one successfully steam thick i.e 3mm ply into a sharp radius curve. I tried to bend it but ended up snapping it , is it better to use thinner pieces of ply and laminate?

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 12/12/2011 18:17:10

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 12/12/2011 18:18:27

Yes, laminating is much better.

Can you use clevis for your wires? It's not fully scale, but it is easy in use.

I am using this for struts:

Weld this part together with a rod. Other end of the rod has thread.

The other end (with thread) will fit into the next part (strut-mount)

Not shown here. But in the top section i have to drill a hole and tap thread, so the rod can be adjusted in almost any length before glueing together.

If needed i will show you tomorrow.

Taco.

Edited By Taco on 12/12/2011 18:35:52

Edited By Taco on 12/12/2011 18:37:43

Progress on Zogling to date!

Here is the wing assembled on joiners, it's 10 ft span, but still needs the leading edge to shape and various other jobs to do in it.

Below you can see I have hinged and shaped the ailerons and added the wing tips. Top of tips to be added after sanding LE. Aileron servos and closed wire loops including ply horns to be added. Plus there are some diagonal wooden bracings to add in the wing.

Below are the wire wing joiners, these have been bent to correct dihedral angle.

Below, is a pic of main fuz, with chair almost complete, just needs ply seat on top, and rudder servo and tow release installed.

Below is close up of the elevator control, closed loop wires will run through the brass tube above the pivot point.

Below is picture of rudder pedals, made from brass tubes glued together and mounted on top of rudder servo.

Below, rudder pedals

Below is pic of the main fuz and tail boom join, used brass plate and screws and glue!

Below is the screw jack where the top wing bracing wires will be attached to the model. The screw can be undone to allow the bracing wires to be caught and then done up.

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 17/12/2011 14:41:08

• 2 weeks later...
Hope everyone has had a good Christmas and New Year. Started back at work today after 2 weeks holiday so brain a bit frazzled. Some building has been done of the Zogling in between visiting the relatives etc

Below you can see the leading edge of the wing has been shaped, takes a while to shape 10ft of leading edge lol! Have covered the aileron servo wires to prevent too much dust getting into them. The roots of the wings need finishing.

Below you can see the ailerons have been installed and the ply gussets too. Upper wing rib capping strips and leading edge sheeting.

Below you can see wing tip sheeting has been added. Also note diagonal bracing.

Aileron servos have been added in each wing.

Another view of aileron servo

Tailplane shaped and all ply gussets and horns added as well as hinges.

Rudder ready to go.

Couldn't resist putting all the bits together!, looks big. Have worked on her since this photo was taken, i.e work in above photos.

I have also had the crazy idea of doing a detox after the festive period to get rid of toxins! and to lose the 4lb of body weight I have put on (that's 12,000 calories I didn't need!) so have cut out coffee and chocolate so have a right caffeine withdrawal headache! but should be OK soon