SG 38 Zogling - Primary Glider

Hi all, I have decided to have a go at building a Zogling gliding, I think it's other name is the SG38? I think a good span would be 10ft and I have a set of plans that I will scale up . Now looking at the plans the wing section is flat bottomed, but on pictures and video's I have seen of the Zogling (SG38) the wing section looks under-cambered. I wonder if anyone has information as to the actual wing section that the original glider used, as it would be nice to remain on track with regard to scale detail

The main function of primary trainers was to train pilots in the elementary control of gliders and not really designed for much more than short hops and ground slides or delayed plummets down to the bottom of a hill to qualify for the basic certificates. Some limited soaring was possible but the wing section was "built for comfort not speed" so the results of a scale section might be rather limiting even with a fairly large scale model.

There's quite a bit of apparently authentic full size info on this page including a fairly detailed 3 view drawing, if you haven't seen it....

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/09/2011 14:10:09

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply, yeah I know it's no floater! I think the glide ratio is 1:10 which is a bit poor when you compare to an ASK 13, which is 28:1 and the high performance glass ships of up to 60:1, but I think it would be a good deal of fun and look the part. I am thinking of using a bungee to launch it to gliding height, obviously an electric motor would spoil the lines. Maybe though an electric motor could be added later if the glide is really dreadful to get some duration flights, who knows. Maybe that's why the airfoil on the plan is flat bottomed for simplicity?. Thanks for the link, I have discovered that link before but thanks anyway.

Thanks for posting links to the plan, guess what, I am using the same plans! how spooky. I noticed though the link to the 'wing' plan does not work, but thanks for posting . My next step (which I began yesterday) is to up scale from the 1/5 scale plansto my 10ft version. I am sure that there are photocopiers out there to do the job but I have undertaken the old task of using a pencil, calculater, ruler and set square to scale her up! So far with a wingspan of 10ft the model looks huge as the chord is 487mm! and the Gottingen section is not thin! Go to do a final check to see if the fuz will fit in the car, the wings should not be a prob as 5ft each. If it is a prob (looks tight) then I could make the fuz join in the centre.

Hi everyone, if you use the plans for the Zogling please note that the wing and the fuz are on two different plans and if you print them out they are different scales. You can also find the plans here  
I had to apply different scaling to the wing than to the fuz to get it correct for a 10ft span. My model will turn out to be approx 30% size of original. Here is an example of a 1/3 scale Zogling build on the rc groups website  and this will be a valuable resource in building mine.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 30/09/2011 14:03:37

• 2 weeks later...
Here is some background for primaries, Slingsby's T38 used the Kirby kite section (Göttingen 426). Note the rip off cost in 1939 "Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd were offering new gliders from £99. A Kirby Kite 1 cost £159". Considerably less than a kit might be today.
Wiki gives the SG38 wing section as Göttingen 533 and the elevator and rudder as naca0012f60. There's a mention elsewhere of a Göttingen 535 for the wing. Bearing in mind models rarely scale well, it may not matter too much.

Edited By Lazygit on 08/10/2011 17:03:11

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Taco, yes that's the tried and trust sandwich method if I'm not mistaken. I had to cut out the lightening holes anyway so thought I would do it this way and it seems to work OK. I have sheeted the inner most ribs (x3) with 1/16 ply, see pic below
The two bottom spars has been spliced and cut to length. The next stage will be to set the airfoil up on blocks as it's an under cambered section this makes it tricky to build. I have cut the blocks out of balsa and they will support the front and back spar off the building board by just the right amount. The trailing edge is just 1/16th sheeting. Got to figure out where to run my wiring for the aileron servos. I think it would be easier than using wires and bell cranks to just put a couple of servo's in the wings. I thought I might hide the cables in in front of the main spars and behind the leading edge, this would require either circular holes of a square hole to be cut in the ribs. The model will be covered in nylon and I won't want to see aileron servo cables through the covering!!!

Root rib example with holes for 7mm brass tube wing joiners drilled, note the notch in front of the bottom front spar notch to allow aileron servo cable to pass through.(below)
Note small rectangular hole to take servo lead for aileron (below)

Rear spar piece that joins onto the back of wing where aileron joins and the corresponding spar (aileron LE) pieces, two per wing. These may need sheeting and some cross members to stiften them up. The wing bit will need shaping /bevelling to allow the aileron to move up and down.

I have started to make a wing at long last!.

In the pic below, I have pinned down the front and back lower spars to the plan and added the block balsa leading edge, the ribs, trailing edge sheeting, from 1/16th balsa sheet, and also the shear webbing. The ailerons have yet to be made.

The next stage is to add the upper rib capping from 1/16th balsa sheet and get the servo's in and the servo extension wires before sheeting from the leading edge to the main spar.

Progress so far on the Zogling. I have been focusing on building the wings. You can see both wings in the photo below. The wing tips have yet to be added. I need to add the rib capping and bottom sheeting to the right hand wing (left is done) Also need to add 1/16th balsa rib capping (9mm wide) to the top of both wings as well as top sheeting, but need to thread aileron servo wires through first. I have ordered two servos for the ailerons from Giant Cod, and the the system will use pull pull cables.
I have not added in the shear webbing between the inboard 2 ribs as need to fit the brass tubes and get them aligned first. Also I will add 0.5mm by 10mm carbon to the upper spar well out to the first 1/3 of the span, in fact 500mm out. This should help the spar take loads in compression as will use a bungee as well as aero-tow for launching.

The underside of the wing showing 1/16th balsa rib capping (9mm wide). You can also see the shear webbing.

Below, you can see the two attachment points for the wire bracing (for the bottom of the wing). The same applies for the upper part of the wing in the same place.

Below is the aileron in-situ. I decided to make the trailing edge a bit wider than scale as used 1/16th sheeting top and bottom. I will put another strip of 1/16th sheeting in the gap between the two 1/16th balsa trailing edges to stiffen things up.

Below is one of the ailerons. The leading edge needs to be shaped to allow aileron to move up and down.

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 16/11/2011 11:35:53

Below is a picture of the progress made so far on the boom. This is made from 12.5mm square spruce strip. I had to cut down the wood to 9mm thickness as this is correct for scale. You can see that the original 12.5mm thickness still exists where the members join but will be hidden behind the ply braces when added! I have pre-cut slits for the rudder hinges (easier to do this before assembly). The 1/8th balsa pieces actually seal off the airflow from getting onto where the ply braces are to cut down drag.

Below is close up of typical joint. Next stage is to give it a good sanding to get joints level and then add 1/64th ply braces both sides.

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 16/11/2011 11:43:31

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 16/11/2011 11:44:32