Does that coil on your U/C leg really do anything ?

Doug
re ;- "Go on Myron ,rub it in"
OK ,if you insist ! We have several fields and am planning more than one runway actually ---Just so that I can enjoy a change of scenery and cope with different wind directions.One by the river would be nice whilst fishing at the same time ,maybe after a ride on Dobby or Betty .The sheep have kept most of the grass down to a couple of inches this summer but most are off to market today so I shall maybe have some dosh to buy a nice gas turbine .
( I can't access the smileys today but I thought I'd "rub it in " --Just for you .LOL.)
Final thought ---Don't need silencers on my engines here-Good for scaring off crows !!
Myron YO13 Take with a small pinch of salt dept.

Advert

I think I have the answer to "to coil or not to coil". Nobody seems to have mentioned mounting the retract unit on rubber grommets! What do you think ? It would,I think,at least protect the wing mountings & associated structure .Not too soft & not too hard .Maybe a sliced up pencil rubber would be a good starting point ?
Myron .(Don't want to wait up to 45 days for delivery by HK alternatives dept. for their legs )

The trouble there is, you'd have to bolt the u/c mounting to the wing spar so tight to prevent a sloppy leg that the rubber bush would no longer be providing any protection.

For that type of mounting to work, it would have to be like an engine mount with the bushes built in, and even then the bushes would have to be pretty stiff to prevent flex and movement of the leg or you will have some interesting ground handling!

The oleo leg is the way to go, probably why just about all real aircraft have them, it's just a shame they are expensive and carry a weight penalty.

James
Yep,point taken,especially since the bearers are at an angle to the wing centreline
.By the way ,I forgot to mention that all my coiled struts have bent above the coil on a heavy landing,especially the nose wheel on a trike arrangement,hence my original question
I have been searching on the web all morning for a quick delivery outlet of the123mm legs I need .No luck so far (hadn't noticed the HK small print mentioning up to 47 days delivery )
GC is not answering the phone at the moment .Busy I expect.
Myron