Max CF2822

Erfolg

I have a three Max CF2822 from GC and Turnigy where it is known as a Fc 28-22 which I use with 9*6 and 10*5 propellers. The last one is drawing more current than expected.

Wingman has pointed to the GC forum which has this link. Which suggests using a much smaller propeller.

I also have from GC a number of 2812, which I understood were better at smaller propeller sizes, typically less than 7*4, which I intend using on a twin.

What are others experience of these motors, as I know they are widely used, in their various guises, particularly the 2822?

Advert

I am using several 2822 and 2812.

The 2812 works well on either a 7x6e and 7x4e on 3s. When static the 7x6 draws close to the limit.
The 2822s are on very slow planes so are using 10x3.8 or 9x3.8 slow fly on 3s.

I also have a 2822 with a 11x6 folder on a 2s.

I was surprised how the much the brand of prop effected the current draw.

Simon

I am using a APC style 10*5 propeller. I guess it has more mass and therefore inertia etc, than some other SF props.

It is reassuring that others are using large props with the 2822, although i tend to only use full throttle for a brief period during the launch phase.

I've got a CF2822 here which originally came from BRC. A very quiet motor and they helpfully put a label on it which tells me that it's got a KV of 1200 and suits a 10 x 5 on 2S or an 8 x 4 on 3S and needs a 12A ESC. Personally I'd go for a 15 or 18A ESC and check the current and Wattage for whichever prop/cell combination you use. I think its rated at 120W, made by HiModel and sold by GC, BRC and others. I've got another 2822 in my Britflight Hustle which has a 8 x 4 on 3S and flies it well.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using emax 2812 motors for couple of years now and despite their low price, 7 euros from himodel china, they seem very good. on 7x6 they take 13a to 15a , 8x4 is too much, maybe an 8x3 just !!
Re ESC rating I would recommend 25/30 amp, 50% safety margin !!!!!!
I burnt out an esc when I "landed" my plane in the sea !!!!!!! this is a big dont do.
I opened this 20amp super simple esc and found it had 2 negative and 2 positive mosfets on each motor wire , the mosfet manufactors spec was 10.5amp maximum, so it had a maximum rating of 21 amps, so for a 13/15a motor it was just enough.
I have found cheap equipment to be good and reliable , just leave a safety margin.

• 2 months later...
I've been using the CF 2812 in a lightweight Multiplex Funjet for a couple of years now and for the money it's unbeatable. Using an APCe 7" x 6" and a 1300mAh 3s LiPo, it's drawing 18.3A on the bench for a power in of just over 195 Watts. With the Funjet's AUW of 343g the PWR works out at approx. 255W/Lb, which is more than enough for true vertical performance.