Me bf 109F for the slope?

Instead of faffing aboutr over the winter and ending up with half a dozen Depron or Balsa models that will probably never be flown I thought I would concentrate on just one and see how it turns out.
I have Brian Taylors plans for a 109F which I have reduced to about 1/7th scale, this gives a 45.75'' span, other changes will probably be a Selig 3021 airfoil section with adaquate washout and a lightened airframe, like all WW2 fighters the problem may be wing loading.
In theory it should work but are there any points to be aware of?.

Advert

I was thinking on a Spit 22 a few weeks back, I have the plans for a 49'' span version that could easily be lightened and with the wing area it would make a nice glider, may have another look at it over the winter if I decide against the 109F, just where I get a 109F spinner at about 1/7th scale I dont know unless I stir up me gray matter and actually spin one on a mandrel on me lathe.

Some suggestions... my Paul Janssen's Macchi 202 flies great on HQ2.5/10 (root) and HQ2.5/12 (tip), and is a fantastic light to med/heavy wind soarer. I'd thoroughly recommend this section (all it lacks is inverted performance, which isn't that important on a PSS IMHO; others may disagree). 

Nearly all of Paul's other PSS designs use this section combination too - he also does a nice Spit Mk22/24. A fuse/canopy set is available for that one; just drop him an email (you can't have mine, it's finally near the top of the build queue!).

Edited By MattyB on 25/10/2011 14:53:43

Edited By MattyB on 25/10/2011 14:54:58

Always liked the look of the MC202 Folgore and the 205 Veltro, only thing that has put me off is the wing area being purebred fighters, I have sorted the plans for the F22 Spit today as I wasnt feeling too chipper so stayed at home.
I used the Lockwood plans resized to dead on 1/10th scale 44.5'' span and changed the aerofoil to S3021 with 3deg incidence, the wing was foam so cleaned everything off the original drawing and used the outline to draw a built up wing which is much lighter.
I may tweak it a little by adding an 80mm wide flat centre section and fit the finished wing panels to this, not pure scale I know but it will increase the wing area a little.

Posted by Terence Lynock on 27/10/2011 00:51:49:
Always liked the look of the MC202 Folgore and the 205 Veltro, only thing that has put me off is the wing area being purebred fighters, I have sorted the plans for the F22 Spit today as I wasnt feeling too chipper so stayed at home.
I used the Lockwood plans resized to dead on 1/10th scale 44.5'' span and changed the aerofoil to S3021 with 3deg incidence, the wing was foam so cleaned everything off the original drawing and used the outline to draw a built up wing which is much lighter.
I may tweak it a little by adding an 80mm wide flat centre section and fit the finished wing panels to this, not pure scale I know but it will increase the wing area a little.

All Janssen's designs are subtly tweaked to improve soaring performance, so I've not found it an issue - my Macchi (his original prototype) flies quite happily in 7-8mph off Ivinghoe Beacon in a westerly. Here it is flying on the Lleyn peninsula in 8-10mph.

3 degrees of incidence seem a lot to me though; I'd recommend rigging it with no more than 1, but all the PSS plans I own say to rig at zero-zero (you can always shim it up later after the test flights). The Janssen's designs also have no washout, which surprised me a bit initially but doesn't seem to be a problem when using the HQ sections. Finally I would not worry too much about the extra weight of a foam wing tbh; a brown papered or bagged wing will not be heavy enough to make a huge difference in my opinion, and will be much more reslient to slope abuse (remember S.L.O.P.E stands for smashed, lost or pulverised eventually!)

Edited By MattyB on 28/10/2011 11:53:42

Edited By MattyB on 28/10/2011 12:02:59

Edited By MattyB on 28/10/2011 12:04:18

Edited By MattyB on 28/10/2011 12:06:58