New Seagull Silence Twister

Paul Marsh

Advert

As much as I prefer IC I think that may be a good idea from the point of view of weight and easing the complexity....would you review this for the magazine noting that the competition reviewed the same model (very poorly in my opinion - lots of key points missed ) in its IC guise?

Either way comparing notes on performance and set up between the two power trains would make interesting reading here....!face 1

Edited By Jon Laughton on 13/08/2012 14:30:49

Posted by Jon Laughton on 13/08/2012 14:54:44:

David - If you are up for it I could just about manage the inverted bit! Nothing like a challenge eh?

Biggest issue would be where - as you are in the SE and I am in the NW.....

(CS - I think the OS 95 AX will be good enough for my limited skills!)

Greenacres 2013?!

95 AX will fly it nicely, you'll have fun with that for sure.

I like Laser engines a lot, and Saitos, and OS four strokes, notice a trend? FOUR STROKES!!!

CS

• 3 weeks later...

Flaps and retracts now rigged / programmed in - the model is ready for its' maiden flight if the time and weather permit but that looks as though it is going to have to be end of September (assuming the field conditions are ok and the test pilot has the right frame of mind!)

Do need to sort out the messy wiring inside though....

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 03/09/2012 09:52:23

• 4 months later...

Well I have a large box sitting in the workshop tonight yes

I've been flying a World Models Super Chipmunk 90 over the last few months, but it wasn't the same buzz, so I took the plunge and picked up another Twister.

I'm going to do the following different,

• Run the LED's on a lower voltage, I was using an old 4.8v nicad but I think that was too much ( any advice gratefully received )
  • Look at the way the spats are mounted or make ally copies
  • Make sure the canopy is secuure. (Thee replacement for the last was delivered days after the first Twister demise sarcastic)
  • Carry out some supplemental fuel proofing ( I was getting oil creep near the exhaust )
  • Replace the plactic retract bellcranks with a more robust type.

I'll carry on with the .91FS, it was Ok for my flying style. All new servos too, the others got lost in other airframessurprise

I'll keep you all informed!

• 4 months later...

Well David embarrassingly I am still awaiting the maiden flight...the model was completed last year!

This is because I was looking to fit electric retracts as the pain of rigging the model at the field was putting me off...and although I found / bought some expensive ones from the USA I realised when they came that to make them fit I would need to eat into the wing leading edge which I am loathe to do as well as hack at the wheel well around the main spar....

Our club currently flies from a publicly accessed grass strip in a park and my experience with retracts so far is not good especially when the ground is heavy / rutted!

We should be moving to a new field later this year which may make things better....

Notwithstanding the above I am thinking of taking the plunge this week as the weather is so good and the ground conditions ok.....

Watch this space?

Jon

• 1 year later...

Well the maiden happened finally last week - the u\c is a right pain to rig correctly and I couldn't get it right at the field so flew with the u/c fixed down. I'm going to sort this at the workshop with a 3rd party to advise but it is not a good design at all. The push rods from the servos will be upgraded from 2mm to 3mm for required stiffness and the plastic bell crank replaced with metal ones.

The model flew nicely although I need to get more aileron movement as a matter of personal choice. Not a 3D model but thats fine for me as I prefer pattern aerobatics.

The OS95AX seemed a very good choice and over ten flights or so never coughed at all...

The model looks great in the air even with the u/c down

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 29/06/2014 19:20:03

• 1 year later...
Greetings from Australia. I purchased the very same Silence Twister earlier this week, it's magnificent. For power I will use the RCGF 21 twin cylinder petrol engine which should be more than adequate.Very pleased to have found this thread, it has already answered some of the questions that were in my mind & quite a few more that I didn't realise I had.

Nearly 2 years ago since the last post here, am wondering if the original posters have updates or anything further to add?

Edited By Greg Nelson on 25/03/2016 04:59:45

• 5 months later...