New to R/C modelling

ColdTurkeY_UK

Many thanks to you Dorset Flyer and Ken for the warm greetings, my ST Discovery is here at last so I am sure to be bending people's ears (or in the internet case - fingers) on what to do and how to do it...etc.

Advert

Thank you all for the excellent advice, I will be sure to take it on board, and undoubtedly many many questions are sure to follow. I appreciate the aspect of learning is by making mistakes, and I am (though unsure about my wallet) prepared for the inevitable 'patch up' aspect of the hobby too.

Reminds me 9 months ago when i was starting out, just got my solo after 9 months of hard training and i would not change a thing its a great hobby and this site is the best you could off come to all the guys will help you out as they have done for me, you will find
lots of help and advise when you are starting out and you will need it, so good luck
Dave

Edited By david 7 on 29/10/2011 17:45:21

Hi Dan, welcome to the best, friendliest, and cleverest r/c forum on the net. If you do decide on an Arising Star (exellent choice) when you are ready, enter "Arising Star" into search box, top l/h of forum page, for lots of usefull advice and information. Cheers FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 29/10/2011 19:16:22

Well I've assembled my Discovery at last, went together very simply, I was disappointed to find that the 'charger' i was supplied with did not come with a mains adapter and is run from a set of croc clips to be attached to an external DC power source. Is this the norm in modelling? I mean i guess I could go to Maplins and buy a mains adapter with a phono socket, but there was no information until I had read the manual that stated unless you have a car battery handy, you can't charge the batteries!!!

I wouldn't quite say "standard" - but yes it happens far too often. As you say you wouldn't mind but its annoying when you get home and then find it out!

TBH the longer you've been in the hobby the less these type of things catch you out because you end up with boxes and boxes of "bits that will come in handy one day"! Then as long as you can find the right bit you can usually "work around" almost anything. Frustrating for beginners though!

BEB

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome Dan

nothing to add but hello and you wont go far wrong when using this forum. The guys have helped me no end over the last couple of years.

regards

JC

• 1 month later...
Well it has been a while since I purchased the Discovery, but I have been busy since then over the winter period, joining the local flying club and obtaining BMFA membership, purchasing a simulator and even buying a Flair kite Mk4 to build alongside learning to fly.

However today I finally got a call from a couple of members from the club who went out to fly today and I took my Discovery for it's first flight.

The conditions probably were not favourable for a novice such as myself, but I was told by the pro's that it flew quite well, bar some necessary mechanical trimming, and the only incident was the nose wheel taking a battering in the windy conditions and making the link come away from the servo. Easy to fix though, and I sorted the trimming out too.

Could anyone give me some tips on how I would best approach the build of the Flair Kite mk4, especially for those who may have built or flown this aircraft themselves. Thanks!

Edited By ColdTurkeY_UK on 08/01/2012 21:29:55

Sorry David your right, I will create a separate thread for the kite.

I did have a go of the Discovery, I was very nervous flying it even though I was supervised by two club members, but the gusts of wind made it hover as it quite light, but look forward to trying again!!