choosing first electric flight build

Vic8

I have built several I.C. engine models and enjoy building them as much as flying them and now want to try my hand at electric flight. I want to build a smallish electric flight model of around 42inch wingspan from a kit or plan. I fly in a leisurely fashion and want to avoid a model that must be flown in a fast and furious manner, something similar to the Ugly Stik variants would be fine or even better, a STOL. I know that I.C. models can be converted but I want to start with a dedicated electric flight model as someone else will have done the maths. Do any members have a recommendation for a kit or plan.

Advert

I would also suggest the Piwakawaka.

Nice and small for carrying, stunning performance from relatively cheap components and will handle winds up to 20mph as long as the pilot is up to the job.

I have a short thread here and a couple of photos in the BIMBO's thread.

Relatively easy build, quite strong and I used to get 20 mins out of a 2250mAH 3s pack.

Go for it!

Hi Vic8, I would really recommend the STOL by Peter Russell.
I am just coming to the end of my STOL build. It has been a pleasure to build and is relatively easy to convert to electric. I am building the STOL in the MK1 configuration, to get used to the flying characteristics and intend to build the Mk2 wing to go on later with the full aileron and flap set up. Good luck with what ever you intend to build.

Posted by John Keywood on 20/11/2011 20:28:20:

Hi Vic8, I would really recommend the STOL by Peter Russell.
I am just coming to the end of my STOL build. It has been a pleasure to build and is relatively easy to convert to electric. I am building the STOL in the MK1 configuration, to get used to the flying characteristics and intend to build the Mk2 wing to go on later with the full aileron and flap set up. Good luck with what ever you intend to build.

Although a Piwakawaka plan on its way I will be very interested to know how your STOL progresses and in particular, what motor you are fitting and batteries.

There was a thread running by DAVE S. who was part way through building an electrified Peter Russell Stol but their has not been any up date since Apr 2009. Search for Stol and it is under STOL Mk11.

Hi Vic8, I have seen the thread by Dave S, it was very interesting.
I am proposing to use a larger motor than his choice. I feel that if it is to powerful I can run on half throttle.
I am using the 'Tornado C4250 with 3s-lipo 2200mah, 60a ESC and 11.5E prop'. I will be bench testing it first. I am almost at the covering stage and will be using tissue and dope, just like the old days. I will post some photos when I can and I will let you know if I keep the motor set up.

• 1 month later...
The Piwakawaka was most certainly a very popular plan, and very well thought out.

I am coming to the end of a Sig Four Star 20 build. The model is the same size as Pete Russel's STOL. and you would be looking at very similar power (around 300W WOT). The Four Star kit is produced to an incredible standard, and the parts slot together incredibly well. I have only made two changes to the kit, one is to use two 3mm strips of balsa to raise the battery tray to take both 2200 and 3300 LiPos, and the other is to use metric blind nuts because of the better availability of spare screws.

HTH,

John

I should have added that I am building the Four Star 20 as a private (fun) project, and not a commercial project however, given the size suggested, I did forget the Dumas Bird Dog and Taylorcraft are 40" (around 1025mm) wingspan:

HTH (again!)

John