Kit's 72" Spit build

Hi All,

Firstly a few words of thanks to Danny Fenton for pointing me in this direction to start a new thread.

Now about the project....

The engine I intend using is a Saito 4 stroke petrol 1.25 (gorgeous looking piece of machinery) with Hitec high torque servos and Futaba 7C radio 2.4GHz Retracts are Unitracts hydraulic + oleos and prob one of the last ones made !

Ive started as per Tony's write up in the magazine with the wings and have built and joined the two and made the flaps and ailerons. Now pondering the hingeing of the ailerons but thanks to Danny F and Herri I think I have a way forward there. Incidentally I elected to fit an additional 3mm ply brace behind the leading edge at the centre to provide a somewhat stronger location for the wing dowels. This is in a single piece so adds to the wing joining strength also. The brace cant be seen now but its good to know its there.
I also had to move the wheel wells forward about 1/4" as I found the wheel would foul the front edge when the retracts were operated.
I added two 1/16" thick ply braces to the top section of W4 one each side.
Everything else is as per plan (I think lol)

I have got some photo's of the wing in build but they are pretty naff nevertheless will have a go at getting them on here.

And thats about where I am at present got one lump at the tip of port wing to shape and sand into a better looking effort, the bandage for the middle and thats about it for the wing.

Of course any comments/advice I would greatly appreciate

Onward and upward !

Hi Herri and Danny,

Your question Danny, on which model I am planning to base my model on, has prompted me to have a scan around and have plumped for a VB of the 243 squadron which finished up on service in North Africa namely SN M N821 Now I need to discover who its pilot was.
Im going to have a shot at aileron hingeing a la Herri as seems a pretty good plan. I shall have a go at pics soon.
Cheers
Kit

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Its been a while but finally can start making progress on my spit again (My flat is finished thank heavens). The fus is built now and have done the bumps for the rocker covers... Christmas what a job! Now I think i have reached a reall tricky section which is to build the wing fairings.

Does anyone have any pics that illustrate exactly whats to be done? Plus perhaps any tips/does and donts on methods used. Specifically does the 0.8 mm ply under fairing extend from leading to trailing edge of the wing or only as far as F3 I know Danny Fenton and Herri who have been very helpful in the past have done this so perhaps they wont mind sharing experiences (fingers crossed)

Ooo, I'll watch this one! Danny's thread is superb if you have not read it already, just don't read the end, it's too sad!

Still going with the Saito? I have taken delivery of a new Saito 40a, a lot smaller but a lovely piece of engineering like all the Saitos. There's a Saito thread here if you are interested.

Some pictures will be great, the Spitfire is my favourite WWII warbird, a stunning shape. Good luck with the build!

CS

I've got the short kit sitting waiting to build, hopefully it wont be too long. I was going to buy and fit my first Laser, in an effort to future proof myself, I was going to buy a big one, the 150. The thinking being that it will fit anything else I ever want to build.

Plus, one the Laser web site it says, 'always use a 150 if a 120 is called for'. There is only a £20 price difference too. The length of the engine is the same, the 150 is 8mm taller than the 120.

I'll watch your build with great interest.

Hi Again,

Thanks so much Danny and for CS and BB kind encouragement. I couldnt find your build blog originally Danny (hopeless with this site still yet) so the pics were a great help. I'm afraid my build will not be Fenton std but its a great challenge and lots of fun.

The tip re pre-bending the thin balsa is a good one you must have been well pee'd when you had a look after all the patient waiting

Now I do have a few photies (courtesy of my mob phone) but know not how to upload em so any guidance there would be terrific.

Oh and I do know the end of the Fenton Spit I could have cried!

I wasn't singing on the way home thats for sure. The bits are in the garage loft space and I do glance at them from time to time. If I had time I would put it back together, but I haven't so it will have to just sit there reminding me of lessons that must be learned, sometimes the hard way.

If you need specific answers just give me a shout, and I will try and help.

Unpublished shot for inspiration:

img_5972.jpeg

You will love it, It flies very well.

Cheers

Danny